Grant horn button popping off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe59287

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Vert-Mach 1 tribute.
Kona Blue/Silver, white top
351C
I have the Grant three-spoke wood-rimmed steering wheel with the horn button that fits over the orangish plate. The button has a spring which tension keeps the orange plate off the contact plate and thus keeps the horn from blowing. Well, the damn horn button keeps popping off. Any tricks on keeping this button on?

I've tried beating it with a rubber mallet, but it still pops off on occasion. I'm apprehensive of taking a Dremel to the orange disc for fear that I'll grind too much off and turn a little problem into a bigger issue. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

It's this one...sorry if it's too big, I don't know how to resize it.

101021.jpg

I had a 3 spoke wheel on my truck. In the summer sun, the metal button expanded and let go of the contact. The spring sent it onto the bench seat, and then the horn was blaring away.... I didn't figure it out till the police called me and asked why my horn was going off... In another city... At my Mom's house.

Short story, that design sucks, and I put the stock wheel back on.

Last edited by a moderator:
First one thing: the greatest thing about this forum is that it resizes the pictures by itself when you post them. I completely stopped posting pictures on other forums because I don't feel like always making a copy of my photo and resizing it until the forum software will accept it.

So no worries there.

Back to the subject of your post.

Mine does that too. I have the exact same wheel on my car.

The design simply sucks. I've heard of others that have the problem too, so we're in good company.

I got so tired of it that I eventually resorted to my hot glue gun and glued it on. Ok, I know the day I'll have to remove I'll be sorry and I'll curse myself but until that I need not worry about it.

It's been two years since it last fell off.

Ours did the same thing. We took the screwed down orangeish plate off and turned 1/3rd turn and put it back on. That way the indents on the back of the button had a new place on the orangeish plate to grab. Haven't had a problem since

I have the same steering wheel, but I didn't use the spring. Instead, I used the foam pieces that were included w/the mounting kit. I have never had the button pop off & have removed & replaced it a couple times w/no problems. The horn even works, which is a good thing cause there are so many idiot drivers out there!

I have the same steering wheel, but I didn't use the spring. Instead, I used the foam pieces that were included w/the mounting kit. I have never had the button pop off & have removed & replaced it a couple times w/no problems. The horn even works, which is a good thing cause there are so many idiot drivers out there!
Did you put the foam between the two contact plates?

Got that right John. My horn works and my finger speaks for me. Massachusetts has some of the worse drivers in the country and they even have a name: we call them Masshole's

Got that right John. My horn works and my finger speaks for me. Massachusetts has some of the worse drivers in the country and they even have a name: we call them Masshole's
That's a good one Frank!

Same problem I had, so I put back on the original steering wheel. The horn fuse blown up as well, but after fix this problem, the horn button popped of at any time.

Yes the design of this horn kit is a bad design.

Well call me the problem solver. Mine did this constantly, so one day I took the spring and cut a full turn out of it off. The spring was too much pressure on the cap, so now, it has never popped off again but has enough spring to keep the contacts apart and I can use my horn whenever I need to! Happy spring snipping!

Hate my Grant wheel for this very reason! Wish I could track down a nice original wheel without having to take out a small loan lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2x Grant Steering wheels that did the same thing. I'll never buy them again. If I popped the horn button on the only way to get it to stay on was to turn it a little so it was crooked. Although they look nice, I'll never buy one of them again.

KR

Back