Grease boots ( OR just a Dust cap???)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Hi folks,

1971 mach 1 351c

I took my steering gear box out and did a refurbish on the old girl. I went on a search for some grease boots for the tie rod end and cant find them. Napa auto had a 5/8th universal one but it doesn't work at all because the boot is open on the bottom. Can someone give me a link to buy them? seems like such an easy find.......not so here in Boise Idaho.

I looked at it closer, scrubbed it down and it carries these ford #s c4za-3a  195-a  kf60  on the rubber cap ( looks like 1/2 of a boot but its not). There is no grease zerk on the tie rod end. This tie rod end is the opposite end of the pitman arm off the steering box. 

The pics are top and bottom of original, and so called replacement boot. There appears to be nothing missing from the old boot cover on the left.

Thanks for your help!

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
You must be referring to the boot on the pitman arm, then.

You might try Energy Suspension:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-dust-boots.asp

Here's more:

https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/universal-dust-boots.asp
Hi Don,

I posted a picture of the original and the so called replacement. Keep in mind there is NO grease zerk on this joint so it doesnt hold grease.. I should of posted a pic initially just forgot.........Sorry.
Thanks for the info sir!

I emailed these folks https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/un...-boots.aspwith a picture of the old boot. I havnt heard back yet. 

Thanks for chiming in...... you was the only one who went for a fix. Thanks

One last possibility is to make your own. Way back when some of these were made out of a closed cell high density foam type of material. You could possibly make your own if you could find some good material.

I was lucky enough to find an original dust seal for my pitman arm when my steering box was rebuilt. I think there are reproduction seals for $4.95

each at Virginia Classic Mustang!

Beware that some replacements rubber is poor quality that begin cracking shortly after.

Hello machattack,

Glad you posted a picture since I along with others assumed you were talking about the tie rod end boots. The number on the seal you illustrated is C4ZA-3A196-A and is an engineering number and not a Ford part number. Ford never released that part for service so there was never an actual part number assigned to it.

Part number searches on NOS Parts, Green Sales, etc are not going to show anything since technically the seal never existed as a separate piece outside the assembly plant. The C4ZA indicates a part designed in 1964 when the Mustang first entered production and for whatever reason, the chassis engineers did not feel the need for any part of the pitman arm to be serviced.

There is a repo seal available from Virginia Classic Mustang https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/Search.aspx?k=su+1651

I believe NPD also offers the seal https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-stud/175787/203221?year=1970 The 3a352 and C5ZZ-3352-S they show are numbers they have pulled out of the air and actually refers to a Ford part# C5ZZ-3352-A which is an arm and bushing kit for an idler arm. As with any repo part, opinions vary on how well they fit.

You will also notice the listings stop in 1970 which is normal since we are not part of the 65-70 club. Forum members here have found the same seal on their 71-73's so we do exist!  :D

Hello machattack,

Glad you posted a picture since I along with others assumed you were talking about the tie rod end boots. The number on the seal you illustrated is C4ZA-3A196-A and is an engineering number and not a Ford part number. Ford never released that part for service so there was never an actual part number assigned to it.

Part number searches on NOS Parts, Green Sales, etc are not going to show anything since technically the seal never existed as a separate piece outside the assembly plant. The C4ZA indicates a part designed in 1964 when the Mustang first entered production and for whatever reason, the chassis engineers did not feel the need for any part of the pitman arm to be serviced.

There is a repo seal available from Virginia Classic Mustang https://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/Search.aspx?k=su+1651

I believe NPD also offers the seal https://www.npdlink.com/product/seal-stud/175787/203221?year=1970 The 3a352 and C5ZZ-3352-S they show are numbers they have pulled out of the air and actually refers to a Ford part# C5ZZ-3352-A which is an arm and bushing kit for an idler arm. As with any repo part, opinions vary on how well they fit.

You will also notice the listings stop in 1970 which is normal since we are not part of the 65-70 club. Forum members here have found the same seal on their 71-73's so we do exist!  :D

A sincere THANK YOU!  A wealth of knowledge all in one paragraph.

Rod

Hello machattack,

I ordered 2 of these boots and they fit PERFECT!

Many thanks for your help, I would have never found them.

Just curious, which ones did you end up ordering that worked, Virginia Classics or NPD
NPD........... Thanks Again for your help!

I tried these options, but they are not the same exactly and don't fit well. When i bought a replacement Pitman arm, best quality from NPD, it came with a felt POS that is working surprisingly well.... so far. I don't think there is a real replacement for this seal that will work as the original.

While somewhat on the subject, why did Saginaw NOT add a dust/dirt seal to the sector shaft below the lower inner shaft seal? That would have stopped or delayed the ruination of an otherwise perfectly good sector shaft and the resulting PS oil leaks. I guess they did not consider it a worthwhile extra expense. Anyone priced getting a sector shaft repaired and having it hard chromed and reground? They did put a dirt seal on the input shaft, so why not the sector shaft, Hmmmm.

I tried these options, but they are not the same exactly and don't fit well. When i bought a replacement Pitman arm, best quality from NPD, it came with a felt POS that is working surprisingly well.... so far. I don't think there is a real replacement for this seal that will work as the original.

While somewhat on the subject, why did Saginaw NOT add a dust/dirt seal to the sector shaft below the lower inner shaft seal? That would have stopped or delayed the ruination of an otherwise perfectly good sector shaft and the resulting PS oil leaks. I guess they did not consider it a worthwhile extra expense. Anyone priced getting a sector shaft repaired and having it hard chromed and reground? They did put a dirt seal on the input shaft, so why not the sector shaft, Hmmmm.
Oh No :whistling: ........ My mistake. I ordered from npd but also from ebay. I received the ebay one and confused it with the NPD. I still havnt got the npd boot but I did get and fitted the ebay one. Here is the copied titled for the boot.

1965 1966 67 70 Mustang Pitman Arm Manual Steering Center Link & Idler Arm Seal

When I went to fit this seal I thought no way thats going to fit? It stretched a little and went right on sealing it tight. Pics on request.

Sorry for making the confusion.

Oh No :whistling: ........ My mistake. I ordered from npd but also from ebay. I received the ebay one and confused it with the NPD. I still havnt got the npd boot but I did get and fitted the ebay one. Here is the copied titled for the boot.
1965 1966 67 70 Mustang Pitman Arm Manual Steering Center Link & Idler Arm Seal

When I went to fit this seal I thought no way thats going to fit? It stretched a little and went right on sealing it tight. Pics on request.

Sorry for making the confusion.
 Ah, so you were able to get this one to fit. That might depend on what pitamn arm you have as the one I have does not have a defined area for the seal to fit over, therefor it would not stay in place and basically would have been a waste of time putting it in. At least, that was my feeling, so I just used the felt thing, so far without problem. 

Over the last year or so, I have worked on and changed my PS box a couple of times, so I do take the time to look at all the joints and seals as a matter of good maintenance.

Back