GREAT GARAGE-WORKSHOP ON THE CHEAP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy's,

I thought I would post up some pics & a how to build yourself a garage workshop on the cheap. This is how I did it & it's served me well for over 10 years ! I purchased (at the time it was cover it, now bought out by shelter logic) this 12 x 20 x 8 ROUND style portable garage from a shop who had never used it. Its the HEAVY DUTY 14.5 cover (Just now, 10 years old, started to show it's age with a few leaks & I'm replacing the skin this month) 2 key things the round style & 14.5oz skin. I do pull the snow off in the winter which is very important to do. I just checked & you can buy a brand new one same configuration for $849.00 + delivery. http://www.sheltersofnewengland.com/shelters_garages/12ft-wide_round.htm Since it's not considered a permanent structure, my town zoning doesn't require any permits the only thing they require is that it sits back 3 feet from the front corner of the house. When I had first set it up we had just put it right on top of the black top driveway. Over the years I had tried different schemes to keep water from running in onto the floor. None really worked. So when it rained we always had a wet floor. I decided to fix that problem this week before the new skin arrives. Here's how we did it. I purchased some 2x6x10 pressure treated wood to lay down some "sleepers" on both exterior walls. We then laid down a doubled up side by side 2x6x10 where the cars tires would ride on..then filled in the remaining space with 2x4x10's 12 inches on center. After that we installed 6mil plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier. Then laid down (deck screws) 1/2 inch plywood as the floor ...we ran the plywood 90 degrees to the sleepers. Then we applied 2 coats of porch & floor paint. Then I made a small set of ramps to drive up over the now raised floor. Came out real nice & once we put the new skin on it will be water tight ! Here's the break down: $178.00 for the sleepers & screws. $190.00 for the plywood..$24.95 for the paint...$849.00+shipping for a complete new garage TOTAL before shipping of the garage $1241.95.. Very cost effective & There's plenty of room to work inside.

View attachment 4665

View attachment 4666

View attachment 4667

View attachment 4668

View attachment 4669

Last edited by a moderator:
Back