Greetings from Tornado Alley

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately that's not a four-speed -- it's a C-6 with a Hurst shifter. Bought the shifter second-hand at a swap meet. It works fine for me but my wife can't seem to get the hang of it. And maybe that's not a bad thing.

k0jz4n.jpg

2iabr5v.jpg

The engine and tranny is a 460/C-6 from a late 70's F-250. A '78 model I think. The heads are from a '73 Lincoln (D3VE castings IIRC). The oil pan is from a Grand Marquis, and the brackets/pulleys/power steering pump are from a "parts engine" that was given to me; I haven't figured out what, if anything, I'll do with the A/C parts. It has a Summit Racing piston/cam/bearings kit (at the time it was the biggest flat hydraulic cam they made for a 460) (can't recall the specs), Weiend (sp?) Stealth intake, and a Holley 3310-1 pieced together from several really old carbs; I initially had a Holley 600 on it but it really wheezed. A dude on eBay (been too long -- can't remember his name) made a custom converter for it that, along with a Transgo shift kit, made an amazing difference. It still has the original 9" locking rearend with (I think) 3.50 gears. It has the exhaust manifolds from the truck (they seem to work fine) and Flowmaster Series 40 mufflers with 3" pipes in front and 2-1/2" pipes out the back. It makes a lot of noise.

I found this board looking for a way to raise the shift points in the C-6. When I "get on it" it shifts fine. During "normal" driving it shifts into second after moving about ten feet (maybe an exaggeration, but not by much). So that's my next little task, putting it on stands to see if the modulator is adjustable.

Welcome from Virginia! Nice looking Convert. Wish I had the power windows on mine.

The Decor trim above the blackout is available as a reproduction. I bought a set back in 2010 for about $300.

Hello again Mustang world.

It's been a long time coming, but I *finally* had a coat of paint put on the old 'stang.  I'm pretty happy with the results.

Comments?  (Other than the messy shop and greasy floors.)

Back