Greetings from Virginia, USA

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Convertible - 351 Cobra Jet
[url=https://ibb.co/gme55b][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eydbBG/IMG_6057.jpg[/img][/url]
Hey guys,

I've owned this beauty for about a month now.  '72 Convertible with the 351-4V Cobra Jet.  Sounds cliche, but this car was housed inside for 18 years and brought out to be restored where the owner promptly passed away just after he began the process.  Still has a 1996 registration sticker on the windshield, the last time it was on the road.  Long story short, I got my hands on it and had it reassembled.  It runs and is in great shape, currently having the Carb rebuilt and a new gas tank installed.  

Motor and exterior are quite nice but she's missing some interior components, so I'm wondering if y'all couldn't help me with some parts websites?  I got a Marti report to see what it was equipped with when it came off the factory floor and she's missing the AM/8 Track Stereo, the Console, some misc screws, knobs etc.   Also, the convertible top only goes halfway and it needs a new piston.....  

Also, what do you think of the wheels and top?  Any chance they're original?  Was told the top was but who knows.....any advice and comments would be appreciated.

Thanks so much, I've loved looking at everyone else's pictures.....  

Sean

Welcome from Phoenix. Here's my convertible:

cy9Nvle.jpg

You should post up the parts you want in a 'parts wanted' thread. Things like the 8-track are not available. Some stuff, like the Console, some misc screws, knobs etc are available from a couple of the vendors. My go to place is Ohio Mustang but the other vendors are also good.

The wheels are not original. We would need a few closer pictures of the top to perhaps help determine if it is possible that it is original. At 45 years old I kinda doubt it but anything is possible.

You will like this site. A lot of friendly people and information. Enjoy that beautiful Mustang!

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

You did not say if your car was automatic or 4 speed. Both are pretty rare I am sure you noticed on the Marti.

You can find the AM / 8 Tracks on ebay quite often usually under $100. You have to watch them they lie about what they came from. I got a couple and they actually worked. I have consoles that I rebuild or will sell as is for you to build. You can get new consoles but cost from over $600 to over $900.

Some of the guys here will set me straight if I am incorrect. I do not think the convertible got the black panel in the rear unless it had Decor Group trim that gave you the back pane, trim down the sides and Mach 1 style grill.

You have rocker molding which was not on Decor Group.

In 1972 you got the NASA hood when you got the Q code. Looks like I see the bump up for yours but cannot tell for sure. They came without hood locks and black out that was an additional option.

I have a 72 Q code CJ automatic vert that I am doing this winter, Gold Glow.

BTW there were only black or white tops and I doubt that yours is Ford. Check the glass to see who made it. Most repo tops will have a tag on the drivers side if you unzip the window sewn in on the side and hidden when zipped up.

I just parted out a one owner 72 vert so let me know parts you need. I am using the interior and exhaust on my build this winter.

Hello from Mississippi. A "Q" code convertible sure is a nice car to start your day with! Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply, Mike @ Motor City Mustang, and fellow forum member Rackerm have E-Bay stores or can be contacted here for new and "Gently" used parts. David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) also restores and sells consoles much cheaper than the nice but very expensive new ones.

The wheels on your car are the Turbine style as used on 77-79 LTD II's, Thunderbird's, and Cougar's. There was a 14" version used on Granada/Mercury Monarch line. Red center caps were on the non T-Bird versions. There was another version used on the 80's Crown Vic's, Mercury and Lincolns with the center cap covering the lug nuts.

The black rear tail light panel, wheel opening and rocker panel moldings were standard equipment on your vert. The ram air style hood was standard on all 351CJ's (Q Code) regardless of body style for 72 only. Because of production schedules, variances and "Burps" on the production line, some may have not received the proper Mach 1 style hood. 

Like David has posted, Black and white were the only two colors Ford offered for the tops.

Never hesitate to ask if you have any questions, as there are many very knowledgeable folks here who are more than happy to help you any way they can.

Welcome to your new Mustang home!!

wheel (2).JPG

From another convertible owner, welcome from Illinois! Nice car.

Welcome from Phoenix. Here's my convertible:

cy9Nvle.jpg

You should post up the parts you want in a 'parts wanted' thread. Things like the 8-track are not available. Some stuff, like the Console, some misc screws, knobs etc are available from a couple of the vendors. My go to place is Ohio Mustang but the other vendors are also good.

The wheels are not original. We would need a few closer pictures of the top to perhaps help determine if it is possible that it is original. At 45 years old I kinda doubt it but anything is possible.

You will like this site. A lot of friendly people and information. Enjoy that beautiful Mustang!

Beautiful car, I now have something to strive towards!! Greatly appreciate the advice.

Question on your paint....looks like the same 3B, #3429-A paint as mine. The one picture i posted was definitely the best profile, there’s a couple of nice scratches in the drivers side door and a few thumbnail sized rust spots. Did you have any trouble matching the paint, if you have had yours painted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

You did not say if your car was automatic or 4 speed. Both are pretty rare I am sure you noticed on the Marti.

You can find the AM / 8 Tracks on ebay quite often usually under $100. You have to watch them they lie about what they came from. I got a couple and they actually worked. I have consoles that I rebuild or will sell as is for you to build. You can get new consoles but cost from over $600 to over $900.

Some of the guys here will set me straight if I am incorrect. I do not think the convertible got the black panel in the rear unless it had Decor Group trim that gave you the back pane, trim down the sides and Mach 1 style grill.

You have rocker molding which was not on Decor Group.

In 1972 you got the NASA hood when you got the Q code. Looks like I see the bump up for yours but cannot tell for sure. They came without hood locks and black out that was an additional option.

I have a 72 Q code CJ automatic vert that I am doing this winter, Gold Glow.

BTW there were only black or white tops and I doubt that yours is Ford. Check the glass to see who made it. Most repo tops will have a tag on the drivers side if you unzip the window sewn in on the side and hidden when zipped up.

I just parted out a one owner 72 vert so let me know parts you need. I am using the interior and exhaust on my build this winter.

Thank you for the reply and information Sir. This one is the automatic and as you say, was rare and quite honestly was one of the deciding factors in taking the plunge. Only 330 made, supposedly. I spent the extra $50 and ordered the original Ford Invoice from Marti and received it. The car was a custom order and that Rocker and Wheel molding was an add on. As I get the time, I’ll post the invoice and other pictures, definitely going to lean on you guys for advice.

I’d love to talk about getting one of your rebuilt consoles and will PM you or my username is my email, obviously.

Hello from Mississippi. A "Q" code convertible sure is a nice car to start your day with! Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply, Mike @ Motor City Mustang, and fellow forum member Rackerm have E-Bay stores or can be contacted here for new and "Gently" used parts. David (Carolina_Mountain_Mustang) also restores and sells consoles much cheaper than the nice but very expensive new ones.

The wheels on your car are the Turbine style as used on 77-79 LTD II's, Thunderbird's, and Cougar's. There was a 14" version used on Granada/Mercury Monarch line. Red center caps were on the non T-Bird versions. There was another version used on the 80's Crown Vic's, Mercury and Lincolns with the center cap covering the lug nuts.

The black rear tail light panel, wheel opening and rocker panel moldings were standard equipment on your vert. The ram air style hood was standard on all 351CJ's (Q Code) regardless of body style for 72 only. Because of production schedules, variances and "Burps" on the production line, some may have not received the proper Mach 1 style hood. 

Like David has posted, Black and white were the only two colors Ford offered for the tops.

Never hesitate to ask if you have any questions, as there are many very knowledgeable folks here who are more than happy to help you any way they can.

Welcome to your new Mustang home!!

Thank you for the reply/information Sir. I’ve already found these vendors and bookmarked them.

Fair to assume the picture you posted of the wheel was the standard production line wheel? As I mentioned in a previous reply, I got the original invoice from Ford to the Dealer from Marti and the car was ordered with “Raised White Letter” Tires and Trim Rings/Hub Cabs. I’d have thought you’d go with mag wheels with non whitewall tires, but curious what you think.

Hey it is your car now go with what you like. On the tires you could actually pick brands also I requested Goodyear RWL when I ordered my 73 Mach 1 and they show up on the window sticker. Those period correct Cragars look great on the other blue car.

As far as paint goes you can get color match for anything now days. They can even laser scan and duplicate pretty close.

The Turbine wheels were a standard production option on the LTD II's, T-Birds and Cougars. Since that was a optional wheel on what were more up scale cars, they came with white wall tires. There was a white letter tire option on the LTD II with the Magnum wheel option.

There were two different white letter tire options for the 72 Mustang. F70 x 14 and F60 X 15. Depended on the mindset of the sales dept employee when ordering tire options on stock order cars as to what you got to see on the lot. The F60 x 15 option automatically defaulted to white letter tires. Like David said, if your salesman was knowledgeable about the order codes, you could actually specify tire brand.

I would use what ever tires you feel look good. I personally like the white letter look on our cars. One of mine came with white wall tires and the other came with F60 x15 which included the white letter tires. You'll find we are pretty much good with anything you choose...after all it IS your car! The only thing that might raise some eyebrows is if you started talking about installing a Chevy engine!!   Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back