Greetings!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otto

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hello everyone,

I have just become a registered member, finally. I was reading some of the posts and found I can actually be usefull by providing some answers. Who would of thought? I have quite a few years experience with my own 1972 Mach 1. I am currently working on a bumper to bumper rebuild and modification of my Mach. My wish is to offer whatever knowledge I might have to help those who are in a situation I was in when I first started working on my car.

I still remember the frustration and the feeling of being lost because not many people knew or cared about the 71 to 73 Mustangs. Their loss. Hopefully I can help those in that situation. I don't consider myself an expert, but I can speak of the passion and bond my Mach 1. I know her well and she has been more than good to me. I am now doing my best to make her what she deserves to be.

For those who are interested in my story with my Mach 1, allow me to bore you. My first memory of noticing the 71 to 73 Mach 1 was in a Steven Seagul movie. I fell in love and I knew I wanted one without even knowing what it was. I knew it would be very difficult because I come from a poor background. While in high school, I found a part time job which made my dream closer to becoming a reality.

It was a couple of years before I found one I could afford. By that time, I was attending a community college for the automotive program. I didn't grow up with anyone who was experienced with cars so this was the best choice for me.

I was on a drive one day and looked over at a used car dealership as I passed. I saw two feet of the front of what I was certain was a Mach 1 sticking out form between some cars. I saw the sports grill with the horizontal foglamps (71-72) and a painted urethane bumper! I turned around and saw it was closed but took the number to the dealership down. I called the number and spoke with the owner who verified it was a Mach 1.

We met in person and negotiated. Thankfully he understood I was a student with a part time job and lowered the price. I borrowed a battery and drove it home. I appeared to be completely stock. When I say that I mean it was beat up, torn and abused. I didn't care. I made my dream come true and I was driving it home!

I did some work on it with the newly aquired skills and the best part was working on my car WAS my school work. As I worked on it I wondered what it's story was, what it has been through and where it's been.

It still had the original license plate frame from the dealer. I wanted to find out where the dealership was to curiosity's sake. The dealership didn't exist anymore but the data on the vehicle indicated the destination for the Mach 1 was my hometown. Here is the best part.

I was breathing new life into this car that only existed in my dreams before. It became a reality and here I was, literally, putting my sweat and blood into it, giving it new life. One day I was outside of the school shop, eating my breakfast burrito at the roach coach when I looked at the dealership across the street. To my amazement, faded into the paint was the name of the dealership where my car was first sold. The Volkswagon dealership used to be the dealership where my car started it's and it was being given new life directly across the street.

We both started our lives in the same town and eventually found each other. Finding my Mach 1 and actually making it mine was my first step in making myself and my life into what I chose it to be. Over time I ended up neglecting my Mach 1, thanks to beautiful women. I guess if you are going to be distracted, might as well make it a good distraction. Now that I am older and have gained knowledge, experience, wisdom and, thankfully, money, I am putting my effort into my beautiful and neglected Mach 1. Women came and went, but she stayed there waiting for me and it's time she gets my attention.

As far as pictures of her, she is not much to look at. I would like to think of myself as humble, and my Mach 1 is a reflection of myself. She is still dressed in the original flat black I have her, which was actually primer before it was cool to paint your car flat black. Her Mach 1 decals are somewhere in there if someone cares enough to look. In the end, I don't care if they do. She is mine and when I see the Mach 1 on the side, I smile and I am reminded of why life is great and I appreciate my blessings. She is in pieces right now but hopefully we will be travelling down the road together soon.

With that long story told, I am here to do what I can to help others grow and make progress with their cars. I will offer my knowledge and I am sure I will be seeking it at some point. The greatest gift is not one that is received. Instead, it is being fortunate enough to share our blessings with others.

Welcome from West Texas! That's a great story. ::thumb::

Since nobody else has done it yet...

:worthlesswithoutpics:

rofl

Haven't been part of a forum for over ten years. How do I post a picture?

I think I figured it out

Image(18).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is from a while back when it was in one piece. I started the restomod about a month ago.

I started with the engine compartment. As parts come off they are being cleaned, fixed, painted or replaced.

The shock towers, engine crossmember and cowl are not painted yet because there will be some welding, reinforcing and fixing being done before it is finalized.

enginecomp1.jpg

enginecomp2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I actually enjoyed sharing my story with those who can understand a bond with a car, but not just a car, an 71 to 73 Mustang. I look forward to learning, which I already have, and sharing.

Back