Greetings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! My name Is Malachi I'm 16 years old and I have acquired a 73 mustang with a 351c and a auto transmission. I live in eastern Washington. I joined because another forum recommended me to this place.
Welcome Malachi! I'm also fairly new. I live in Maine. There's a lot of good stuff on this site. Enjoy!

Congratulations on the new car brother, and welcome from North Carolina.

With this forum (for mostly specifics about these models) and youtube (for more general car info), you will learn fast. Stick with it and prepare yourself for some frustration at times... but at the end of the day it’s a spectacularly cool way to distinguish yourself from the crowd of generic cars on the road today. Lastly man, remember: safety first!

Ah, to be 16 again... It was 1970 when I turned 16 and got my driver license. Prior to that I had a full year of driver training with mostly my parents. I was supposed to be 15 1/2 when I got my permit, but I sent on my 15th birthday with my mother (who did not know it was supposed to be 15 1/2 to get my permit), and the gal at DMV missed that little little detail! I was not about to argue that point. I used every opportunity they gave me to drive any one of our several vehicles.

My favorite car to drive was a 1969 Candyapple Red Mustang HardTop (coupe). It only had a 250 six cylinder engine, but it did have an auto tranny and aftermarket air conditioning that really worked well. It would have been more fun with a v-8 in it, but had that been the case I might not be alive today. When I was driving alone with my license I pushed that little Mustang as hard as I could. It was a terrific car. About 2 years later I bought my own 69 Mustang, that one being a Mach 1. It did not remain stock for very long, and it was one hellaciously fast car.

I am hopeful you do not take needless chances when driving your 73 Mustang. No racing around, too much at risk - to include yourself and other innocent persons. With a magnificent car like a First Generation Mustang you have nothing to prove to anyone. And no matter how fast your car may be, there is always someone just around the corner with a faster car. It is better to learn to work on your car, keep it in terrific condition, drive it defensively, and do all you can to preserve it in excellent condition in the hope that as you get older you are able to keep that treasure looking and driving well.

Those older Mustangs are easy to work on, and you will find within this group any number of folks, like me, who have had a lifelong passion for them and will happily help wherever we can so you can learn to enjoy your car. In a way some of us (at least me) will be living vicariously through you as we watch you in your opening years of being a young Mustang owner.

I hope you take the time to take some photos of your Mustang to both share with our group, and for you to have something fun to look back on years from now. i wish I had photos of my early Mustangs from back then. I only have two photos of my Mach 1. The first is circa late 1974 in Woodland Hills, CA, just before I went into the Army. I was with late 19, or early 20 when the photo was taken. The 2nd photo is of the Mach 1 in late 1979, after a Los Angeles trash truck ran it over while backing up. it was a horrible way to see it go. Absolutely horrible.

Following is a link of our 1973 Mach 1 after being deeply restored in late 2020. The re$toration was very costly, as by the time we got the car a lot of rust had intruded deep inside some seams and under various trim pieces. We opted to $ave the car, and it turned out great as a result.

I have also attached a photo of our 73 Mustang Convertible, being "driver" by our Siberian Husky/Tiber Wolf hybrid (Sami). I have also attached yet another photo showing all four of our pony cars:
1969 Shelby GT500
1973 Mach 1
1973 Mustang Convertible
2020 Shelby GT500

Now retired, and with a wife who is a Mustang/Shelby Chick, we have a blast every car Season tinkering with, working on, showing, and driving our various pony cars. And when we are playing with those cars I am 19 again...

Attachments

• 1969Mach1_AfterBeingCrushedByLosAngeles_Waste_Truck.jpeg
    1969Mach1_AfterBeingCrushedByLosAngeles_Waste_Truck.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 0
  • Bob75V8MachI_Gil 1969MachI_Dad74 LincolnMarkIV_Summer1974.jpg
    Bob75V8MachI_Gil 1969MachI_Dad74 LincolnMarkIV_Summer1974.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 0
  • AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG
    AllPonyCarsAndGilWithLynda_4of4_20211007.JPG