GT40 intake on a '73, hood clearance??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Those are nice adapters that open a lot of new possibilities as long as the hood can be cleared.
Keep us posted if you get the GT40 intake to work. The price can get quite high once you add the spacers, upper and lower intake, fuel rails/injectors, ECU, etc.

Come on man! Cut the hood and have those bad boys sticking out. It would certainly make a statement!
That would be very cool, just a bit impractical for me.

Wow. Those are nice adapters that open a lot of new possibilities as long as the hood can be cleared.
Keep us posted if you get the GT40 intake to work. The price can get quite high once you add the spacers, upper and lower intake, fuel rails/injectors, ECU, etc.
Lots of options out there. Trickflow, Edelbrock and Holley all make gt40 style fuel injection intakes. There are several used ones for sale on the internet. As far as the fuel injection system goes all you need to do is find an old ‘02 or ‘03 Crown Vic and get it to donate the EFI system. It’s the same firing order as the Cleveland and can be tuned by a guy that sells a membership to his website. Those cars use an EEC-IV system and you can hook up an AODE or 4R70W transmission to the donor as well if you are looking for a 4 speed auto tranny. I can’t wait to get it all together.

Lots of options out there. Trickflow, Edelbrock and Holley all make gt40 style fuel injection intakes. There are several used ones for sale on the internet. As far as the fuel injection system goes all you need to do is find an old ‘02 or ‘03 Crown Vic and get it to donate the EFI system. It’s the same firing order as the Cleveland and can be tuned by a guy that sells a membership to his website. Those cars use an EEC-IV system and you can hook up an AODE or 4R70W transmission to the donor as well if you are looking for a 4 speed auto tranny. I can’t wait to get it all together.
Thanks I am looking forward to your progress. Not an immediate plan of mine since I have a Fitech TBI but always trying to learn ways to tweak and improve.

Ok, so I mounted the intake on the installed engine, no gaskets, and from the top of the crown of the valve cover to the top or highest point of the intake, was 5 3/4”. I suspect that is less than a stock carb and air cleaner. For fun, I took a photo using a level, since it is straight, from the top of the cowl, not on top of the cowl seal, to the top of the front hood closing stops just to see if over that run, the intake was above that plane, and if wasn’t. Had small clearance below it, but still, I’m sure the hood is still higher than that.

BE6CA5F1-B218-4881-A55F-75034D7FD702.jpeg
Again, not intended to show clearance, but as a relation to a plane. I suspect if someone did this next photo with a tradition manifold, carb and air cleaner, it would give a good idea if there would be an interference (The level is sitting on the inside step of the apron, not on top of the fender, if that isn’t clear).
E7C63C9E-77F4-49C1-8B66-6948B7A71700.jpeg
Steve

Very cool. Probably not going to win any concourse competitions with that setup, though.

Are you using the full EFI setup from ford? I had a '95 GT that had that style of intake on the 302. That was the year the V6 mustangs switched to OBD2 but the V8 5.0 mustangs were still OBD1 or whatever they called it. The crown vic that year had the 4.6, so it was OBD2. To read engine codes on the 5.0, you use a paper clip to jump a wire under the hood, or you can use a dedicated debugger box, and then do the various key-on-engine-off/key-on-engine-on tests. It blinked your engine codes at you with one of the lights on the dash board and you have to painstakingly count all the blinks and figure out when the long pauses and when the short pauses are. I always had to do each test several times to make sure I got the same codes.

Ok, so I mounted the intake on the installed engine, no gaskets, and from the top of the crown of the valve cover to the top or highest point of the intake, was 5 3/4”. I suspect that is less than a stock carb and air cleaner. For fun, I took a photo using a level, since it is straight, from the top of the cowl, not on top of the cowl seal, to the top of the front hood closing stops just to see if over that run, the intake was above that plane, and if wasn’t. Had small clearance below it, but still, I’m sure the hood is still higher than that.

View attachment 63618
Again, not intended to show clearance, but as a relation to a plane. I suspect if someone did this next photo with a tradition manifold, carb and air cleaner, it would give a good idea if there would be an interference (The level is sitting on the inside step of the apron, not on top of the fender, if that isn’t clear).
View attachment 63619
Steve
Sweet. Does that include the Windsor or 302 adapter?

Tony, no. It’s a stock 5l from an 87 TBitd. I wish someone who’s in a position to do so, could post pics of the same with a traditional aftermarket intake and carb so we can all see if the GT40 intake is actually higher. I couldn’t find pics in my Google searches before I started my swap, but since I didn't find negative posting regarding it, I assumed it was a non issue.

View attachment 63618
View attachment 63619
Steve
Wow, thanks Steve, that is way lower than I thought it would be. I just found a second hand GT40 intake close to me at a reasonable price. I am pretty excited to get my hands on it and get it over to the mechanic to give it a good porting. I have read a few articles on the flow that you can get from these and it sounds really good. Sounds like the lower manifold and the throttle body inlet are the pinch points, so I'll get him to flow it and find out where it needs work.

Very cool. Probably not going to win any concourse competitions with that setup, though.

Are you using the full EFI setup from ford? I had a '95 GT that had that style of intake on the 302. That was the year the V6 mustangs switched to OBD2 but the V8 5.0 mustangs were still OBD1 or whatever they called it. The crown vic that year had the 4.6, so it was OBD2. To read engine codes on the 5.0, you use a paper clip to jump a wire under the hood, or you can use a dedicated debugger box, and then do the various key-on-engine-off/key-on-engine-on tests. It blinked your engine codes at you with one of the lights on the dash board and you have to painstakingly count all the blinks and figure out when the long pauses and when the short pauses are. I always had to do each test several times to make sure I got the same codes.
I am using the Fuel injection system from a 2004 Crown Vic, it has the EEC-V which is programmable. Going to pay a tuner to dial it in.

Glad I could help, and I’m glad it’s going to fit. When I’m done and have installed the stock hood, I’ll do the crush test and post pics, dimensions, etc so someone in the future, searching the internet with this question, will hopefully find out it fits!

Glad I could help, and I’m glad it’s going to fit. When I’m done and have installed the stock hood, I’ll do the crush test and post pics, dimensions, etc so someone in the future, searching the internet with this question, will hopefully find out it fits!
When I have the engine back from the shop I will do a crush test with the original hood to see if it fits. I really doubt it will since I have a Cleveland and will need to run the manifold with approx a 1' cap between the block and the manifold by using spacers between the 302 manifold and the 351C-2V heads. I will take as many pictures as I can to show folks what kind of Frankenstein I am creating.

Latest posts

Back