H78-14 space saver spare

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, Q code, 4 speed, fully optioned
I have an unused, never installed H78-14 spacer saver spare.  The 5 bolt pattern is correct for Mustangs, but the center hub hole is larger.  Does anyone know what car(s) came equipped with H78-14 space savers?  

Doug, the tire size you listed would indicate a fit for a larger car than Mustangs, mid-size and small vehicles used. The sizes most common to the mustangs were 7.35 x 14, 7.75 x 14, and F78-14. Through out the '70s, Ford used many of these space saver tires in the Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury lines until the donut spare became the new small spare tire in the 80s.
 These space saver spares were standard on some models, optional on others, and included with specific vehicle configurations, so way too many possibilities to guess. See if you can find a stamped letter(s) by the valve stem and also check the bolt circle to verify if a 5 x 4.5 or a 5 on 5 bolt circle. With that info, I can help you can make a more positive ID. :classic_smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Steve, I checked the wheel and here is what I found.  5 x 4.5 bolt circle, 2.75 center hole, stampings near valve stem JL 3, stampings between bolt holes, the Ford script in an oval and W 9 18 or ? 6 M depending on which way is up, 2 purple paint daubs on the rim on the opposite side of the wheel.  7 1/4" tread width.  

Doug

Doug,
The JL code is a rim used for the space saver in the mid-size line such as Torino, LTD II, T-Bird, Montego, and Cougar through '79. The tire used for those applications is H78 x 14" like on the rim you have. This rim has been around with different part numbers, code IDs, width sizes, and ratings since first used in the '68 Mustang. This rim would fit the Mustang, but the H-78 size is a bit larger than the F-78 size specified by Ford.
The JL rim is 14 x 5 1/2" with the width measured where the bead of the tire sets inside the rim lip. The date code on these rims is first position-year, second-wheel manufacturer, third-month. The six would indicate 1976, and M would be Motorwheel Corp. For the month, you need to recheck for another letter. Ford occasionally used a 24-month calendar (leaving out the I and O) for the month codes.
The problem here is that the rim is compatible with a Mustang, but the tire is too large for a Concours level Mustang. Spacer Saver tire size is something that MCA (Mustang Club of America) would check at a judged class show. These tires, regardless of size, are also not safe to be used for any actual spare tire duty. I know some Dodge, Plymouth, and AMC vehicles also used the F-78 x 14" space saver size and struggle to find show-worthy tires. To my knowledge, no F or H78 x 14" space-saver tire is being reproduced at this time. Your tire would work for someone with a Mustang if they wanted a space saver regardless of tire size. If you get no hits here, I would try the 68-79 Fairlane-Torino site.

Doug,
The JL code is a rim used for the space saver in the mid-size line such as Torino, LTD II, T-Bird, Montego, and Cougar through '79. The tire used for those applications is H78 x 14" like on the rim you have. This rim has been around with different part numbers, code IDs, width sizes, and ratings since first used in the '68 Mustang. This rim would fit the Mustang, but the H-78 size is a bit larger than the F-78 size specified by Ford.
The JL rim is 14 x 5 1/2" with the width measured where the bead of the tire sets inside the rim lip. The date code on these rims is first position-year, second-wheel manufacturer, third-month. The six would indicate 1976, and M would be Motorwheel Corp. For the month, you need to recheck for another letter. Ford occasionally used a 24-month calendar (leaving out the I and O) for the month codes.
The problem here is that the rim is compatible with a Mustang, but the tire is too large for a Concours level Mustang. Spacer Saver tire size is something that MCA (Mustang Club of America) would check at a judged class show. These tires, regardless of size, are also not safe to be used for any actual spare tire duty. I know some Dodge, Plymouth, and AMC vehicles also used the F-78 x 14" space saver size and struggle to find show-worthy tires. To my knowledge, no F or H78 x 14" space-saver tire is being reproduced at this time. Your tire would work for someone with a Mustang if they wanted a space saver regardless of tire size. If you get no hits here, I would try the 68-79 Fairlane-Torino site.
Hi Steve,

I was following this interesting space-saver message you wrote sometime back. Could I trouble you to de-code a SS spare I picked-up recently?

Regards, JW

Hi Steve,

I was following this interesting space-saver message you wrote sometime back. Could I trouble you to de-code a SS spare I picked-up recently?

Regards, JW
Steve ------ here are some detail pics of the space saver spare for your review and decoding. It is an H-78 x 14 inch tire. Wheel is a 2-3/4" center hole and 5-1/2" wide. Thanks!

Attachments

• Ford Space Saver - 2.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • Ford Space Saver - 3.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Ford Space Saver - 5.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • Ford Space Saver - 6.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 6.jpg
  • Ford Space Saver - 7.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 7.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Ford Space Saver - 8.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 8.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • Ford Space Saver - 9.jpg
    Ford Space Saver - 9.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Ford Space Saver- 4.jpg
    Ford Space Saver- 4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
  • Ford Space Saver-1.jpg
    Ford Space Saver-1.jpg
Hello JW,
Your "ZB" wheel is the same as the "JL" rim, as discussed in the previous posts. This particular wheel has undergone several part number changes over the years, resulting in the different ID codes near the valve stem hole. The application for this space saver is Torino/Gran Torino, LTD II, '77-79 T-Bird, and sister Mercury vehicles, which required the larger H-78 X 14" tire. This space-saver tire is found more often since it was offered on several car lines and models and was also a standalone option. The F-78 X 14" version saw limited use on the Mustangs and was only available on the '71-73 if equipped with the F60 X 15" tire ('71-72) or the optional fold-down rear seat.
The rim will fit your Mustang, but the tire is much larger than the Ford specified tire. The pre-2000 date code for tires would indicate the 13th week of '75 for the 135 on your tire. At this point, any of these tires would only be safe for show use. It does have the safety valve stem, which was the result of an earlier recall. People who didn't want to purchase a new tire inflater canister were over-inflating the tires with a standard air hose and causing the tire to explode.
Unless you are Concours level showing your car or a Mustang Club of America (MCA) event, the tire size wouldn't be a problem. :)

Last edited:
Much appreciated ------ I had never owned a space-saver spare or vehicle with one. This helps me decide what to do with it now !

Hello JW,
Your "ZB" wheel is the same as the "JL" rim, as discussed in the previous posts. This particular wheel has undergone several part number changes over the years, resulting in the different ID codes near the valve stem hole. The application for this space saver is Torino/Gran Torino, LTD II, '77-79 T-Bird, and sister Mercury vehicles, which required the larger H-78 X 14" tire. This space-saver tire is found more often since it was offered on several car lines and models and was also a standalone option. The F-78 X 14" version saw limited use on the Mustangs and was only available on the '71-73 if equipped with the F60 X 15" tire ('71-72) or the optional fold-down rear seat.
The rim will fit your Mustang, but the tire is much larger than the Ford specified tire. The pre-2000 date code for tires would indicate the 13th week of '75 for the 135 on your tire. At this point, any of these tires would only be safe for show use. It does have the safety valve stem, which was the result of an earlier recall. People who didn't want to purchase a new tire inflater canister were over-inflating the tires with a standard air hose and causing the tire to explode.
Unless you are Concours level showing your car or a Mustang Club of America (MCA) event, the tire size wouldn't be a problem. :)
Steve ------ as a follow-up ------ I am trying to locate a Ford inflator canister for display. Can you tell me the dimensions of a canister(length and circumference)? Perhaps the Ford canister is the same as other OEM's of the time? Chrysler and GM used a similar canister, I assume?

Hey JW,
The canister in my Mach 1 was damaged by the previous owner beyond use, so I no longer have it to measure. If I remember correctly, it had similar dimensions Retired2014 posted. I know that certain GM, Mopar, and AMC vehicles used the space-saver spare and inflator canister, but not familiar enough to verify which ones.
When searching for the Ford cylinders, you may see some C6AZ-19C543-A (ID# C2RA, C6RA-19C543-A). That is an inflator/sealant (like Fix-A-Flat) that was offered as an accessory starting in the early sixties until discontinued in 1974. Ford initially offered the collapsible space-saver spare in '68 on the Cougar and Mustang. Although I'm 99.9% sure the early canisters are not likely to be found, I'll post the part numbers and ID# with the part number supersession, just in case! C8WY-19C543-A (ID# C8WA-19C514-A) → C8ZZ-19C543-A (ID# C8ZA-A) → C9WY-19C543-A (C9WA-A) → D1ZZ-19C543-A (D1ZA-AA) →D5DZ-19C543-A (ID# D5DA-AA). The previous canisters were cataloged for Mustang and Cougar; the later D1ZZ also included the Pantera. The D5DZ replaced all previous numbers and was originally cataloged for Granda, Maverick, Mercury Monarch, Comet, and Lincoln Versailles. All vehicles are in the same similar size and weight class.
There is a D5OZ-19C543-A canister listed for full-size Ford, Gran Torino, LTD II, T-Bird, and sister Lincoln/Mercury vehicles made for the larger tire size such as you have. Since this will be for display only, you could include this number in your search.
I will post some links to NPD, which show the red paint for the inflator canister and the proper decal for the D1ZZ canister. The decal is an Osborn Reproduction part, so it's the same decal all the vendors sell, so you can price shop. The paint is something you may be able to source locally. :)

https://www.npdlink.com/product/pai...2Bpaint&top_parent=200001&year=1970&year=1970
https://www.npdlink.com/product/dec...Bsleeve&top_parent=200001&year=1971&year=1971

All great information Steve ----- Thank you!.
After a bit of researching last week, I did find some dimensions on an OEM inflator canister --- 2-13/16" OD X 10-3/4" length. Interestingly, these dimensions are almost identical to the common hardware store propane or MAP gas bottle if one wants to make a display-only Space-Saver canister. Your decal and red paint reference will make for an easy inflator canister clone if an original cannot be found. Also --- do you know if anyone reproduces the trunk bracket that holds the inflator canister and Space Saver wheel?

Attachments

• Inflator Canister.png
    Inflator Canister.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 3
  • MAP gas bottle.jpg
    MAP gas bottle.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • Mustang Trunk Bracket.png
    Mustang Trunk Bracket.png
    558.4 KB · Views: 4
Back