Harmonic Balancer D20E-6313-A2A

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Coupe, F Code 302 4V, C4, w/ AC
Spring break rolled around and my grandson and I finally had some time to replace the timing chain on the Mustang. It appears to be an original, 55 k mile car. The nylon cam gear looked good and the chain had only a little slop in it. While we had it torn down we replaced the harmonic balancer, water pump, fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit. We cleaned and repainted stuff, too. We started it up, reset the timing, checked for leaks and took it for a ride. Immediately I noticed a vibration so we brought it back in. Long story short, just raising the RPM to 1500 caused a vibration that shook the steering wheel and mirrors. Thinking it had to be the balancer, I put the original back on and the vibration went away. I researched the Dorman part number and it was correct and returned it to Advance Auto where they ordered a replacement. The replacement did the same so I returned it thinking I would just use the original. The original looks good but is 50 years old and I used the original key. All of my research suggests that there was only 1 balancer used until 1982 when it was changed to a 50 oz. The replacement looked a little different (see pic). On the original, the “cookie cutter edge” goes further around the outside diameter and there’s extra weight on the bottom.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Attachments

• 6B5DC253-F8FB-4EED-82A4-A2E5F9278DE7.jpeg
    6B5DC253-F8FB-4EED-82A4-A2E5F9278DE7.jpeg
    844.5 KB · Views: 0
Harmonic Balancer Assembly
$113.99
Dorman Harmonic Balancer Assembly
Part # 594-023
No Reviews
Limited Lifetime Replacement

May Not Fit your 1973 Ford Mustang

How Would You Like To Get This Item?​

Store Pickup
Out of Stock At 43731 Parkhurst Plz
Ashburn, VA Out of Stock Nearby

Same Day Home Delivery - $8.99
Not Available in 20147Change Zip Code

Home Delivery - Free over $35
Standard Delivery Available

Spring break rolled around and my grandson and I finally had some time to replace the timing chain on the Mustang. It appears to be an original, 55 k mile car. The nylon cam gear looked good and the chain had only a little slop in it. While we had it torn down we replaced the harmonic balancer, water pump, fuel pump and oil pressure sending unit. We cleaned and repainted stuff, too. We started it up, reset the timing, checked for leaks and took it for a ride. Immediately I noticed a vibration so we brought it back in. Long story short, just raising the RPM to 1500 caused a vibration that shook the steering wheel and mirrors. Thinking it had to be the balancer, I put the original back on and the vibration went away. I researched the Dorman part number and it was correct and returned it to Advance Auto where they ordered a replacement. The replacement did the same so I returned it thinking I would just use the original. The original looks good but is 50 years old and I used the original key. All of my research suggests that there was only 1 balancer used until 1982 when it was changed to a 50 oz. The replacement looked a little different (see pic). On the original, the “cookie cutter edge” goes further around the outside diameter and there’s extra weight on the bottom.

Your original in this one pic goods to be in really good shape. You probably could use it without issue. Mine was completely dry rotted and I could just about spin the outer ring by hand.

Also in your pic the Dormam looks to GE slightly smaller in diameter but hard to tell for sure.

It's possible your original balancer weight was altered/adjusted during a previous rebuild. If your sure the new balancer is correct, bring both the original and replacement balancer to an automotive machine shop and have them match balance the new part to the original. However, try a totally different supplier before doing anything, it's conceivable Dorman may have a bad lot of out of spec balancers, but only guessing on that.

Hello PopsProject,
In the car world, that sounds about right when you treat a 55,000-mile survivor to some preventative maintenance and pampering, and a problem develops. The D2OE damper is period correct for your '73.
The dampers Ford used on these era 302s are C9TZ-6316-A (C9TE-A), replaced by D2OZ-6316-A (D2OE-A1A, A2A, A3A), replaced by D8TZ-6316-B (D8TE-F). These are all 28oz dampers. 1981 was the first year of the new 50oz imbalance engine. But this was not a job one release, so (Lucky for the already harried parts depts) the early '81 302s had 1980 dampers, cranks, and flywheels.
The 302 single-piece rear main seal was released on 12/1/82 for the 1983 model year. (Another late release and more fun for the parts dept) So these two significant changes were not related to each other.

As Cleveland Crush suggested, it's entirely possible that there could be a bad run of parts. I've experienced this myself and from different manufacturers. Since you stated that the vibration disappeared when using the original Ford damper, and the rubber insert is not damaged, you could try to reuse it. If wanting a little piece of mind on a 50-year-old critical part (as I would), you could try another manufacturer or a Ford OE part.
Green Sales is a company I have used that Sells Ford NOS parts sourced from dealer parts inventory returns, closings, and auctions.
They show an inventory of 9 D2OZ-6316-A and 36 D8TZ-6316-B. I will post a link to their site in case you want to check with them.
I don't know how proud they may be of these dampers, but with that quantity inventory, they should be willing to deal. When checking the site, leave the hyphens out of the part number, as their system will not recognize the number with them. http://www.greensalescompany.com/

Good luck with either way you decide to go. :)

Back