Has anyone rebuilt their horns?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 restored in the original light pewter metallic with TMI interior and custom stereo from Pacific Car Audio
Has anyone tried to repair their horns? Neither our hi or lo work so we drilled the rivets out on the lo one as we have two of those. The inside was corroded and packed with sand from the sandblasting. We dismantled it and sandblasted away some of the gunk and washed out the packed in sand. We filed the contact points and then assembled it and held it together while hooking it up to the battery. It took a little playing with how hard it was held together and started making noise. Not the right noise but in the general area. We found if we put both gaskets on one side of the diaphragm we could reassemble it and it did function. Again not really the right sound but sound. We started searching for horn rebuild kits but the only thing we found was for corvettes. Then we looked at the horn from our 72 Riviera and it is exactly the same horn other than the mounting bracket. We looked at the pictures of the corvette kit and the parts look just the same. The kit comes with the HI and LO diaphragms, the paper gaskets for two horns and the rivets. Has anyone tried this?

Here is a shot of the diaphragm, note it is stamped with LO

25qq4j6.jpg

http://corvettespecialty.com/corvette-horn-repair-kit-1964-75

My low horn doesn't work. It is embarrassing. :)

It seems to me most of the horns from our era were pretty much he same but with different mounting bracket. At some point in time I will get a new low horn. When I do I will save the old one for ya. I am way beyond being anything close to factory original so if my bracket is wrong or whatever it doesn't matter.

The 67 - 8 horns I have are exact except for the angle of the brackets

67-68 71-73 HORN ASSEMBLY RIVETED, RH HIGH PITCH Item #C7ZZ-13832

67-68 71-73 HORN ASSEMBLY RIVETED, RH HIGH PITCH

Right hand high pitch horn assembly with cast metal housing, correct brackets, contours, HI marking and is riveted like the originals. Concours correct for 67-68. Price: $29.95

67-68 HORN ASSEMBLY WITH A/C, LEFT HAND LOW PITCH Item #C7ZZ-13833-A

67-68 HORN ASSEMBLY WITH A/C, LEFT HAND LOW PITCH

Left hand lo pitch horn correct for 67-68 Mustangs with integral A/C. Cast metal housing with correct bracket, contours, LO marking and riveted like the original. Each horn is tested before packaging and has adjustment screw for tuning. Price: $29.95

Horn kit arrived and it looks like this might just work. Kit comes with new hi and lo diaphragms, new paper gaskets, new rivets and a file for the points. The gaskets are too this and not exactly the same as the originals but same holes and all the rest of the items look the same. Put the lo together temporarily with a couple small nuts and bolts and it works. It doesn't sound perfect but I think once we get it cleaned up and put together with the rivets we may just have our selves some working original horns albeit with a Corvette repair kit. We will take pictures of the process and post a sound or video file once in is done even if it doesn't come out perfect

2qxt3r4.jpg

Good article, thanks. I wish the kits were still $15. The only ones we could find were the corvette one and that was close to $50 after shipping. I know we could replace the horns for less but this is more of a challenge

Good info. I need to do mine too. The high one isn't working at all and the low one seems not be working correctly.

The sound it makes is pretty awful. Kinda like a deep "mooop" on a tape that wobbles. :)

Mine still work like a champ, loud for stock car horns. Mine kinda sound like a school bus.lol I remember the first time i used them, they shocked me how loud they was, and made my friend jump a little too. best horns i ever had on any car i owned " or truck" maybe some one rebuilt mine 25 years ago before i got the car " dout it thou" ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine work fine, so I haven't thought about it. Back when they were held together with screws I took a few apart and cleaned them. Some worked, some didn't. I think the contacts bond together and burn out the coil when they get dirty and the diaphragm doesn't move.

Back