Has anyone successfully tinted the rear window in a fastback?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I know that similar conversations have been started over the years. I want to do something about the greenhouse effect from the large rear window. I have been debating tinting the rear window or adding louvres for many years. I have been very close to clicking the purchase button for the louvres but a part of me likes the car without them. On the other hand I am very skeptical in trusting someone to properly tint that big window. On that note, I would love to hear from those of you that have successfully tinted the fastback rear window and even better if you can add picture. If I proceed with tinting I would only tint the rear window.

I tinted all of the windows in my 73 Mach back in high school it wasn't too difficult to do as the glass is almost flat. I am planning on tinting the windows on my 71 when I get to reassembling. Back then I was doing a lot of window tinting for my friends and got pretty good at it. You could also purchase a wide sheet of tint then so I tinted it in one piece without having to seam it. I would suspect that the wide sheet is still available but have not researched it yet. Its not hard to do and even easier if its a fold down rear seat. I just laid back and the glass was right in front of me, I would imagine it would be more difficult without the fold down seat. It did make a big difference in the temperature in the car which I appreciated because that car did not have A/C.

Ask at a pro tint shop (or two) for a quote and suggestions.
Years ago when I had my first Fastback, I added one of those stick on rear window defoggers. That was a bit of a PITA, but manageable.
Worst case, pull the window, tint it an reinstall it? Not the best plan, but........

I had mine done by Technics Auto Shield and he did say they had to re-do the rear window, but didn't elaborate on all the reasons why, but I got the idea that they had to use another piece of film.
Picture is attached.

Attachments

• DSC02009.JPG
    DSC02009.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
This morning a stopped by a tint shop and their opinion is that the glass will have to come off. The seal around the glass is very uneven and they won't be able to hide the edges of the film without removing it. That opens a can of worms that I have to think about it. On one hand it would be a good time to look at the sheetmetal around the glass in case it is bad, but on the other hand it may lead to a lot of downtime. With winter coming that may be an option.

This morning a stopped by a tint shop and their opinion is that the glass will have to come off. The seal around the glass is very uneven and they won't be able to hide the edges of the film without removing it. That opens a can of worms that I have to think about it. On one hand it would be a good time to look at the sheetmetal around the glass in case it is bad, but on the other hand it may lead to a lot of downtime. With winter coming that may be an option.
Louvers đź‘Ť

I figure the rear window on our 73 Mach 1 is going to be a bear to have tinting film applied. We have rear window louver slats, both for "the menacing look" and to reduce the amount of sunlight (and solar heat) coming into the back of the car. So, no need exists for tinting (I hope). I will do the side windows later this Summer, and if it is obvious the rear windows needs to be tinted for a visual balance I will then do so. Otherwise I will leave well enough along. Our glass is clear as the car was originally a non-A/C car. We added Classic Air A/C first thing when we purchased it.

Ask at a pro tint shop (or two) for a quote and suggestions.
Years ago when I had my first Fastback, I added one of those stick on rear window defoggers. That was a bit of a PITA, but manageable.
Worst case, pull the window, tint it an reinstall it? Not the best plan, but........
I bought a smoked tinted glass because it is a clean install, keeps the sun out and you can see through it clearly unlike tint film.

I thought I'd mention that the back glass in my car is the factory tint, but the side windows are clear. This a Carlite window and when it was removed for painting the car, the old rubber seal was pretty bad, so I'm 99.9% sure it is the original. It makes sense that the back glass would be tinted from the factory. That's one big slab of glass!

I see no reason why a professional tint shop could not tint that back window adequately while installed. I have tinted a couple of my cars when I was young, but I was, and am, a total amateur. I would not like to do that rear glass. Having said that, I had a guy in Florida that used to tint all my cars, and I am sure he could easily knock out the rear window on a fastback Mustang. A good tint guy can do that rear glass, there may be a tiny place here or there on the edges of the glass close to the rubber gasket where they may miss the mark when cutting it, but you would really, really need to be looking to notice it. For all intents and purposes it would be unnoticeable.

Perfect timing for this thread. I was thinking about sending my back window out but had concerns screwing up the tint while roping it in.. And didn't like the idea of some tint guy crawling around my back seat.

Back