has anyone used a torque strap?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancelot72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 hardtop 351c
The previous owner of my 72 coupe put new motor mounts on just a few months before I bought the car. However, when I pulled the engine out the drivers side mount was already broken. I was looking at different kinds of motor mounts and someone suggested using a torque strap. Has anyone here used one? Is so, info on what kind and where you attached it would be helpful. Also, pics would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

You should not need a torque strap unless you have a a seriously modified engine. Regular mounts are fine.

In the old days we used to run a thick chain from an engine block bolt to somewhere in lower frame or crossmember to keep the motor mounts from breaking. It would be put in tight, so it would limit how much stress got put on the mounts, and you would not get vibrations like with solid mounts, but hemikillers solution is a lot better, LOL.

I busted a few mounts with the 351C I put in my '69 back in the 70s. Back then we used the old hefty chain method.
When I put in the 460 I went with a 8" turnbuckle from head to frame. I put a little preload on it and have had no motor mount problems in 20+ years.

the frame mounts have holes in them. I shot some spray paint in the holes (from below) and then removed the motor mounts and drilled 3/8 inch holes in the spots marked by spray paint. then I put 3/8 inch socket head cap screws in the holes (with the nuts toward the motor) and bolted the motor mounts together. Finally I drilled the holes in the frame mounts out to accept the heads of the socket head cap screws and reinstalled the motor mounts.

Ok hemikiller countersunk his, I used the hole that was there. I didn't use anything to reduce vibrations though.

Back