Head Gaskets Options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinc1973

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Hey everybody. Well I broke the car drag racing over the weekend. Lost compression on cyl's 2 and 3. Pulled the cylinder head, found the gasket burnt between the two cylinders. The block and cyl head are also damaged. I'm in talks with the machine shop about repairing the block and head (they are Aussie 2v's) If and when that is complete I need to order head gaskets. What are you guy's running? The gaskets I used were Fel-Pro 8347PT1. They lasted about 4 years. I think I need to step it up this time. Any info is appreciated. Also if the block and head cannot be salvaged, does anyone have any leads to replacements? The seller I bought the Aussie heads from is no longer in business. Thanks. :)

I've used Fel-Pro part number 1013 without any problems. Check the bore diameter and compressed thickness of whatever gasket you select. They are not all the same and differences will affect compression and quench area.

Chuck

I would guess that you ran lean because of a fuel supply issue or a vacuum leak.

Properly installed head gaskets usually do not fail on their own after 4 years.

Welding and milling the block is expensive - You should be able to find a whole car with a running 351C for less money. Rusted 4 door Torinos are very cheap.

Have that block machined to match what you have and swap the internals.

The aluminum heads are much easier and cheaper to fix. Should be no big deal.

I am sending an OK 351C block to the scap yard - if you were closer I would give it to you.

Good luck

- Paul

Dropped the block and heads off this morning, looks like the cylinder head cracked between cyl 2 and 3 causing the head gasket to blow. He said we can probably mill the block to fix it since the damage isn't too deep. The head is trash. Luckily a customer of his brought a set of Aussie 2v heads in and decided to go another direction, he is going to call him and see how much he wants for the heads. I've been looking at aluminum heads, I found at least 5 companies who make them, anyone running a set have any reviews?

Ola, please send me that 351 I'm not to far from you :)

I would guess that you ran lean because of a fuel supply issue or a vacuum leak.

Properly installed head gaskets usually do not fail on their own after 4 years.

Welding and milling the block is expensive - You should be able to find a whole car with a running 351C for less money. Rusted 4 door Torinos are very cheap.

Have that block machined to match what you have and swap the internals.

The aluminum heads are much easier and cheaper to fix. Should be no big deal.

I am sending an OK 351C block to the scap yard - if you were closer I would give it to you.

Good luck

- Paul

Ola, please send me that 351 I'm not to far from you :)

Its on its way! I did not box it up I just covered it in airmail stamps and put it in my mailbox.

You should have it in a few days.

- Paul

Paul,

I wait for my postman, hope he won't bring those heads by scooter, if so big problems for him.

Wait for the this airmail:)

Manu

Back