Head question. Need expert!!!! LOL

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibson_Junk

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe 351C
1969 Mustang Coupe EMPTY
These look to me to have been milled down for roller rockers. I tried the stock rockers from my 351M Heads and they dont fit and screws are to small. How do you tell if what rockers to put? And Pushrod length?

Ignore the springs with spots on them. I will replace everything once I know what to get.

343okgp.jpg

n4fxwy.jpg

344xlxj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Those have been cut for screw in studs and guide plates.

IMG_17071.jpg
Alright sweet I thought along those lines. There is any certain Rocker arm I must use? Must it be Roller rockers? Sorry new to this. Trying to learn it all.

Or is it just get the studs and order Roller rockers for a 351C?

IMG_17071.jpg
Alright sweet I thought along those lines. There is any certain Rocker arm I must use? Must it be Roller rockers? Sorry new to this. Trying to learn it all.

When you order your guide plates you can get them with the 5/16s gap or the 3/8 depending on your pushrod width. They will accept standard or roller rockers but there again need to know what size the rocker studs are your going to use because of the fulcrum.

IMG_17071.jpg

When you order your guide plates you can get them with the 5/16s gap or the 3/8 depending on your pushrod width. They will accept standard or roller rockers but there again need to know what size the rocker studs are your going to use because of the fulcrum.
Well I actually have a brand new set of Push rods from Comp Cam and Guide plates that are 5/16"

So since you said both roller and standard may be used then I am guess that you must adjust these as they are installed on the block? Or else the rocker with slide up and down the stud? Or is there something i am missing.

What size are the tapped holes? If they are 7/16" a good stud to get is the big block chevy stud, less $$ and work properly. BBC rockers can be used as well, a little less ratio (1.7 vs 1.73) but close enough IMO. The pushrods you have may not be the proper length for the heads, proper geoometry is critical.

Back