Header Fitment Hooker 6915

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjkcue

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 73 Mach 1 with a 351c, power steering & a C6. I purchased the hooker 6915 long tubes and have a question about the install.

I was able to easily install the passenger side tonight and took a quick stab at the driver side. I was unable to get it into position. Seems to hit the power steering gear box.

The instructions state that I need the car up at least 36” but with my jack stands and garage, I can not get it close to that tall. Does anyone know if the header will fit if I move the power steering gear box or do I literally need to lift the car that high for the right angle?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put mine in and the car was only about 1.5 feet off the ground. However, I lifted the driver side of the engine up and put the header in from underneath. Went in pretty easy that way.

It is a tight fit from my experience. I have the same headers on my car. With stock 4V heads, it was a tight fit but the headers did not hit the gear box. You had the just get exactly the right angle to work them in, but they fit.

When I went to the Aluminum Trick Flow heads, the different in port location was just enough to require me to dimple one of the primary tubes.

It is a tight fit from my experience. I have the same headers on my car. With stock 4V heads, it was a tight fit but the headers did not hit the gear box. You had the just get exactly the right angle to work them in, but they fit.

When I went to the Aluminum Trick Flow heads, the different in port location was just enough to require me to dimple one of the primary tubes.

I think the angle is my problem. How high did you have the car?

Well I simply removed the motor mount bolt and jacked the engine up. Fit no problem. Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, just now saw the question. I do have a lift, so it was off the floor quite a bit. Glad you got it installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you all have for H pipes? Anything off the shelf bolt up to these headers?

If you don't jack the motor up, you have to jack the whole car up about 3 feet on the front.  An extra set of hands is helpful as well.

What do you all have for H pipes? Anything off the shelf bolt up to these headers?

If you're OK with an X-Pipe vs. an H-Pipe, Pypes makes a nice set-up.  I have a Pypes X-Pipe [complete] system on my '71.  I only had to put about 7 degrees bend into the collector/lead pipe to match up to the Hookers. 

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a link to the Pypes site for more information: https://pypesexhaust.com/ag-134874.112395.116152-1971-ford-mustang.html

Hope this helps!

If you're OK with an X-Pipe vs. an H-Pipe, Pypes makes a nice set-up.  I have a Pypes X-Pipe [complete] system on my '71.  I only had to put about 7 degrees bend into the collector/lead pipe to match up to the Hookers. 

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a link to the Pypes site for more information: https://pypesexhaust.com/ag-134874.112395.116152-1971-ford-mustang.html

Hope this helps!

Awesome! Thank you very much!

Back