Headers for 72 with stock manual trans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddrum

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Coupe
I have the original manual trans. I bought a set of JBA headers that they said would fit. looked for a long time. These on the drivers side are not even close. the clutch lever is so far in the way its not funny. Anybody have any answers on this????? Thanks

Yeah unfortunately its a woe for anyone with stock manual trans setup. Honestly for the effort it would take for me to just put long tubes on my car I think I'm just going to swap the clutch linkage for a cable setup via

Moderndriveline.com

And since I'm going to do that I might aswell use that T5 and 5.0 bellhousing I have laying around.

I have a 302 and I've heard the windsor motors have horrible header options to get around the stock z-bar. If you have a cleveland I'd wait for others to chime in as I'm sure there's a few people here with a bolt on header using stock clutch linkage.(I think)

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

I used Tri-Y headers for a 302 in my '71. Even those needed a bit of persuading (denting or more kindly massaging) to fit around the z-bar but they did work.

I have a 351c with FPA-headers and a manual, but i have a hydraulic clutch, so i cannot tell anything if it would interfere with a z-bar setup...

Ps, the headers do fit great..

Ive got a 351c with the 4v hooker supercomp headers, large primary tubes, 3.5" collectors and im running a factory toploader 4 speed with a lakewood bellhousing. Factory linkage and zbar setup. Once the headers are in, i had minor clearance issues, small bit of persuading to one of the primary tubes and no more rubbing.

Mines are Hooker's. I have a manual 4 speed trans, 351 C with 2V's head and no power steering (car for real men).

I would like to change them as they are not in very good shape, same problem I have and canno't make a mistake as I need to order from US to France.

But for sure what I would like to change too those 3" long tube connection, very very too close to the ground :(

Manu.

I have a 351c with 4V heads and a 4 speed toploader manual with the standard clutch linkage. I have the standard hooker headers with long tubes installed and absolutely no problems with clearance to the clutch! To install the driver's side I had to disassemble some of the steering linkage to fit through the gap between the power steering.

Only clearance problems on higher bumps on the street but thats a different story... ;-)

Tim

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk

I just ran into the same problem. I had a set of Hedman 88300 headers that came with a '69 with 302 automatic. I rebuilt the 302 and have installed it in my '73 with 3 speed toploader. I downloaded the instruction sheet from Hedman and saw a little note up at the top (will not fit 1971-1973 Mustang or Cougar with manual transmission).:mad:

What's the best solution? Cable clutch linkage or a different set of headers? :huh:

different set of headers will be the least expensive solution. Cable clutch will require a different fork and bellhousing and transmission removal and reinstallation.

Headers will only require clutch z bar disassembly and reassembly and normal header installation.

different set of headers will be the least expensive solution. Cable clutch will require a different fork and bellhousing and transmission removal and reinstallation.

Headers will only require clutch z bar disassembly and reassembly and normal header installation.

Thanks Jeff73Mach1,

When you say Hooker Comps, do you mean #6921HKR? They say they only fit 2V 351C. I have Edelbrock heads on my 302.

Maybe I would be better with a set of shorties?

Back