Headers I removed from my 71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Its been time for a while to replace my headers for years. but I new long time ago it would be a nightmare. Rusted and they had some cracks in the collectors. With my deployments in the Army I didnt have sufficient time to fix the issue. Finally have the time and got them off yesterday.

2 Days and not happy about the removal of the DS header. They are old Blackjack headers modified to fit. Probably put on sometime in the 70's or 80's not sure. The guy who did the work was really determined to get long tubes on. Complete clutch setup had to be remove unbolted the steering box to maneuver it some also. They fit good though, no obstructing the function of clutch or steering.

Hoping a set of tri y's will help alleviate some of the problem of new headers. I would go back to the stock manifolds but the exhaust is custom welded stainless dual exhaust all the way back. not in the mood to re-engineer at this point.

IMG_7804[1].JPG

IMG_7805[2].JPG

IMG_7806[2].JPG

IMG_7807[2].JPG

You'll most likely need to modify the H-pipe no matter what.

New collectors will exit in a different spot.

If the current pipes do not have a crossover (H or X style) between the headers and mufflers, I would strongly suggest having one installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stuffed a pair of Hooker ceramic-coated Competition Long-Tube headers into mine without any hassle whatsoever. Might want to look into those, if you're worried about fitting something in without hassle.

Of course, you didn't mention what engine/tranny you have, either. Mine is a 351C-2V with an AOD conversion.

No H Pipe on the Car, the current exhaust with collectors has enough play that I am hoping will allow it to just bolt up to another even though pipes may move in or out. Literally dual exhaust straight to the back. Exhaust had enough play in it where I just moved the pipes inward and ziptied them to the cross member to hold them in place for now.

Engine is a 302 with what I am guessing is the big bell housing because it is an original 302 car.

I put a set of tri y headers on a 71, 302, manual about 15 years ago. They were the closest I could find then for the small block with a manual. Even so, I had to modify (read dent) in order to clear the bell crank. Good luck, I do like your choice.

I put a set of tri y headers on a 71, 302, manual about 15 years ago. They were the closest I could find then for the small block with a manual. Even so, I had to modify (read dent) in order to clear the bell crank. Good luck, I do like your choice.

You wouldn't happen to remember the brand would you. I was looking a the Scott Drake Tri-Y's. Biggest issue I am seeing right now is the exhaust has 3" collectors welded on. I haven't seen a single Tri-Y that has 3" so they would have to be replaced. Still better then cutting up a brand new set of headers like the set that was on the car.

Be wary of "inexpensive" Tri-Y's.

I had a pair that I picked up along with some other parts in a package deal. They were EXTREMELY thin walled tubing and very lightweight. Brand was unknown.

I wouldn't have trusted them to last a year on my car.

Sold them to a vintage dirt modified racecar owner.

I have seen a few, such as Doug's Headers, that appear to be substantially built. Don't know if they cover your application though.

More money, but I'd imagine they'd be worth it.

I don't recall the brand but they came from Santa Clara Mustangs. I have no idea if the business even still exists - it was back in the '80s and a quick google search did not turn up that name. I don't recall the collector size either but the tubes were not thin (took some omph to clear the bell crank)

Hedman's fit well. I used them on my 302 and went with a new set for my Windsor. Nothing good will come from using Tri-y's when other options are available.

Hedman's fit well. I used them on my 302 and went with a new set for my Windsor. Nothing good will come from using Tri-Y's when other options are available.

I actually looked through the Hedman and most of the other major brands and almost all of them are alike in design. Z-Bar clutch the major problem keeping me from installing standard headers.

I would much rather go long tube but virtually every set I have seen will require re-engineering the 2 rear ds pipes. Not an option at this point.

Thats the issue look at a majority of the long tubes DS side and they all really do look that much alike.

Which is why I am leaning towards Tri-Y not that I like them. But they are better than cast manifolds and should bolt up to my exhaust with minimal modifications. Looking at the design of the Tri-Y the collector straight portion extends alot farther forward which should allow it to clear the Z-Bar. Also the rear pipes extend at the back of the manifold instead of angled back which is another good thing.

Honestly if I had the capabilities I would buy one of the DIY header kits and build that side. But right now I don't have the equipment or the skill and would have to farm it out which would cost alot more than I am willing to spend at this point. Once I retire from the Army and settle somewhere that will change. But not for a few more years. Mean time the headers are going to go into storage for a later time when I may be able to reproduce that side.

I will post up pics of the exhaust under the car this weekend so everyone can see what I am working with.

Hedman's fit well. I used them on my 302 and went with a new set for my Windsor. Nothing good will come from using Tri-Y's when other options are available.

I actually looked through the Hedman and most of the other major brands and almost all of them are alike in design. Z-Bar clutch the major problem keeping me from installing standard headers.

I would much rather go long tube but virtually every set I have seen will require re-engineering the 2 rear ds pipes. Not an option at this point.
Z-bar, schmee-bar - go hydraulic. :p

(Don't listen to me... I've got an automatic and don't even know what I'm talking about :D )

I bought the JBA1650s headers for my 5.0 with GT40 heads. They bolt on perfect. They fit perfect. They look perfect. All you have to do is remove the zbar. The header flange hits the bar right in the middle. I am trying to get a measurement on the hipo manifold port size to see if that will work on a GT40 head.

So I bought a set of these and I am going to see what I can do to make them work. Plan is fab them in place adjust(BFH) if necessary. Yup I know cheap chinese ripoff but it also means not so much heart ache if I have to modify a set of costly headers. If I can get them to work out I will take them over to Thermal Tech to get them done in the ceramic thermal coating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300730737741?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_0wt_0

Keep it posted though. I still have the headers that fit and really hope I don't have to get the driver side built. But worst case scenerio I can have the old one copied.

Back