Headers vs Manifolds

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwm9ersfan

Reaction score
My Car
No car yet, on the hunt
I am hoping I am not asking a stupid question but here it goes. I was talking to a transmission guy because the newly rebuilt C4 I have the clutches are gone and I have to rebuild it. While talking to him he asked if I had headers or just manifolds and I said headers he said the ford headers are a PIA and he would just use some stock manifolds on it. I am not to up to date on the differences what is the forums consensus.

Some headers can be a bit tight around the transmission making it difficult to get out with out removing the exhaust or, in worse case, one of the headers.
Do you know what brand you have?

Removing headers is not a big deal, honestly. You could break a bolt I suppose, but if you have headers, those bolts have been turned and are likely not rusted in.

It also matter what flavor of headers you have. A lot of aftermarket ones have the big 3 bolt triangle mounting flange. Those flanges can be the narrowest part and what the bell housing will bump into. On some of my cars, the exhaust guy just cut the flange off and welded the tube straight to the headers.

You also have to look at if you have long tube or shorty and how close those come to the transmission.

The headers should not be that much of an additional pain for him to the the transmission off. If you have stock manifolds and someone has put an H or X pipe on the exhaust, which is really common, the exhaust will have to come out anyways. With header you will most probably need to remove the exhaust to be able to at least loosen one side of the headers to be able to get the transmission out. It is a more work, so he will need to bill you more for it, that is why he is asking.
Difference is headers make more power, and weigh less, but when it comes to working on the car, like removing the transmission, they can be a hindrance, and will require additional work. Headers will not last a s long as manifolds, unless they are ceramic coated inside and outside, and usually hang way lower to the ground, so ground clearance, especially with a lowered car can be an issue. Headers emanate more heat and in some cars that can create issues with "cooking the starter".

Don't worry about the headers worry about why the rebuilt transmission failed. Is this the same transmission guy who rebuilt it the first time? Chuck

I am hoping I am not asking a stupid question but here it goes. I was talking to a transmission guy because the newly rebuilt C4 I have the clutches are gone and I have to rebuild it. While talking to him he asked if I had headers or just manifolds and I said headers he said the ford headers are a PIA and he would just use some stock manifolds on it. I am not to up to date on the differences what is the forums consensus.
I like shorty headers. The are a bit of a compromise when it comes to performance....better than stock manifold, but not quite as good as long tube, but they do not have clearance issue long tube headers do. Sanderson block hugger shorties are top on my list.

Attachments

• 20210612_190057.jpg
    20210612_190057.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
The headers should not be that much of an additional pain for him to the the transmission off. If you have stock manifolds and someone has put an H or X pipe on the exhaust, which is really common, the exhaust will have to come out anyways. With header you will most probably need to remove the exhaust to be able to at least loosen one side of the headers to be able to get the transmission out. It is a more work, so he will need to bill you more for it, that is why he is asking.
Difference is headers make more power, and weigh less, but when it comes to working on the car, like removing the transmission, they can be a hindrance, and will require additional work. Headers will not last a s long as manifolds, unless they are ceramic coated inside and outside, and usually hang way lower to the ground, so ground clearance, especially with a lowered car can be an issue. Headers emanate more heat and in some cars that can create issues with "cooking the starter".
My C10 with a 350 had this issue. Headers put off enough heat that the starter wouldn't work until it cooled down after being parked a while. I put a heat shield on the starter and it solved it.

Back