Headlight switch missing parts?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Does anyone have a headlight switch diagram that shows the components to install it to the dash. These are the only parts I have:

image.jpg

It seems like i need something to attach the switch to the light box and then to the dash. I also suspect I’m missing some part of the dash, as this is what the dash opening looks like, I think I’m missing that chrome piece that says headlight.

image.jpg

All help is appreciated and thank you, Steve

It looks like you are missing the bezel and retaining nut. The switch and the light box go in from behind the dash and then the bezel and the retaining nut go in from the front of the dash and then the knob and rod are installed through the nut and bezel into the switch. Hopefully this helps.:)

thumbnail_IMG_5912.jpgthumbnail_IMG_5918.jpg
thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

This thread reminds me of a situation I plan to deal with next year when I pull the ponies out of Winter Hibernation. On our 73 Mach 1 the headlight switch know has its plastic "chrome" flecking off. I ordered a replacement knob, which came with the metal shaft. I try to pull the old knob and shaft out, while pressing the switch know & shaft release button, but the switch is not releasing the shaft. I have tried pressing the release button as hard as I can and it just won't release the shaft. I have done this many times over the years, and have never seen this happen before. Unless someone here has a suggestion I plan to use some bolt cutters to cut the knob off the current switch shaft, then replace the headlight switch with the new knob after removing the old switch. I already have the parts needed, but since this not a high priority I have not done the work yet. I am likely fooling myself into thinking I can beat the still failing shaft lock button situation.

Try pushing the knob in, then push the release button with the knob pushed in, then pull it out. I believe that is what finally worked for me the last time I took mine out. I remember I tried turning it, wiggling it, etc.

Back