Headliner Install for a 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
70 Maverick Grabber w/351W & Toploader
71 Mach 1 w/ 429 & T56
Does anyone out there know if a really good video that shows how to do an install of a new fabric headliner on a 71 Mach 1? I cannot seem to find a good video (or book) that is clear about all of the steps. Seems like most of the videos out there are for every other year EXCEPT 71-73.

Marc
586-552-9312

Does anyone out there know if a really good video that shows how to do an install of a new fabric headliner on a 71 Mach 1? I cannot seem to find a good video (or book) that is clear about all of the steps. Seems like most of the videos out there are for every other year EXCEPT 71-73.

Marc
586-552-9312
Did my own, kind of straight forward. No real issues came up. Did not find any video either, took some photos during but really helpful.

Have to remove front and rear glass prior as headliner install because it goes under both windows.

The headliner installs just like any other Mustang, but you don't have to contend with the sail panel section like on a coupe. Go to Staples or Office Depot and get a couple boxes of binder clips, about 50 at a minimum. Make sure you have the retainer wires for the rear-most rod to the roof frame.

The headliner installs just like any other Mustang, but you don't have to contend with the sail panel section like on a coupe. Go to Staples or Office Depot and get a couple boxes of binder clips, about 50 at a minimum. Make sure you have the retainer wires for the rear-most rod to the roof frame.
Hello,
I’m curious as to why you have to remove the front windshield for the headliner. It seems to me only the front trim piece has to be removed. I removed what was left of mine on my 72 Mach and it didn’t seem to be behind the windshield at all.
Thanks

Hello,
I’m curious as to why you have to remove the front windshield for the headliner. It seems to me only the front trim piece has to be removed. I removed what was left of mine on my 72 Mach and it didn’t seem to be behind the windshield at all.
Thanks

You're correct, I should have added that it can be done with the windshield in place. The ledge for the headliner is below the glass. I will say it's much easier without the windshield in place. The rear window must come out for a proper job, as the rear edge wraps around the pinch weld, as well as the rear edge of the separate sail panel pieces.

And I recommend you use Dap Wellwood Contact adhesive to attach the front, back, and sides. It works the best in my experience.

You can install the headliner with the windshield and rear window in. You can just glue, trim and tuck the edge under the rear window weatherstrip molding. My brother did mine in my red 73 Mach 22 yrs ago and it still looks the same as the day he installed it.

Back