Heater box assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nursieee

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Fastback Mach 1 1973
Im trying to put the heater box back in place after fixing it. When i took it out, i managed to split it up to get it out. Thats not possible when i put it back because there is no space to put the clips back on the backside of the heater box then.

Seems like i have to dissassembly the whole dash panel to get it back.
Any tips?

Im trying to put the heater box back in place after fixing it. When i took it out, i managed to split it up to get it out. Thats not possible when i put it back because there is no space to put the clips back on the backside of the heater box then.

Seems like i have to dissassembly the whole dash panel to get it back.
Any tips?
Per the Ford service manual you don't need to disassemble the dash. I was able to wiggle my heater box back in place fully assembled with all clips in place.

As I recall I did not have the carpets or seats in the car (or the side kick panel & glove box). This gave me a tad more room to get it into place.

Are you sure you're holding your tongue just right? 😋

ok thanks, ill try it again, thought it was almost impossible. Let us see if i can avoid getting mentally ill during wigglingtime.

If I remember correctly, I removed my glove box liner to remove and re-install the heater box assy. There's a drain hose that goes down to the floor, and, I believe the heater hoses had to be pre- cut to length and installed to the heater core, and routed thru the firewall holes as the box went in. I have A/C too, so maybe my box is slightly different than a non-A/C car. I do remember the job as being a chore, but not the worst.

AC boxes are significantly different than heater only boxes. The blowers are in different places, the heater only cars don't have the drain hose and they do have the manually operated fresh air vent plenums on the drivers and passenger sides. The cowls and firewalls are different as well.

I have the one with AC, still trying to get it back.
Solved the issue. Wasnt to hard to demount the dashpanel once you know how to do it.

The dashboard or what its called you loosen i think about 3 screws then you pull it towards you and it comes of pretty easy. Here i am trying to find screws and bolt bend it and more to get it of and all you have to do is a gentle pull. Well as you se, im not the master mechanic. There is will but no knowledge. Will is all you need.

To demount the front dashpanel youll have to loosen all the control switches and some i think 2 ground cables that is attached to the dashframe.

Of ccourse you demount the speedomeeter tachometer also. that is kind of not to easy cause you dont have to much space and you dont se what you do. You have to loosen the cable to tach, the wire to the speedometer and the electric glove to panel before you can take it out. Be careful i broke the fuelmeter doing it had to buy a new used panel with all those 3 controls in it. Hard to find a new and expensive about 600 dollars and ,about 100 more for shipping and taxes to sweden, cause you cant buy only the fuelmeter. And also they are hard to get by.

To loosen the frame you loose 6 bolts and then it comes of easy. Now your ready and have a lot of space to put back the heaterbox.

Now i took a few photos and films doing it and im gonna put it up on my youtubechannel when i have the time to do it. Not the best cause it is not to easy to film and work the car at same time. I recommend using to hands when you screw.

Heres one of the goof tutorials youll find the other ones from here.

Last edited:
Back