Heater box assembly

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

nursieee

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Fastback Mach 1 1973
Im trying to put the heater box back in place after fixing it. When i took it out, i managed to split it up to get it out. Thats not possible when i put it back because there is no space to put the clips back on the backside of the heater box then.

Seems like i have to dissassembly the whole dash panel to get it back.
Any tips?

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Some other Fords
Im trying to put the heater box back in place after fixing it. When i took it out, i managed to split it up to get it out. Thats not possible when i put it back because there is no space to put the clips back on the backside of the heater box then.

Seems like i have to dissassembly the whole dash panel to get it back.
Any tips?
Per the Ford service manual you don't need to disassemble the dash. I was able to wiggle my heater box back in place fully assembled with all clips in place.

As I recall I did not have the carpets or seats in the car (or the side kick panel & glove box). This gave me a tad more room to get it into place.

Are you sure you're holding your tongue just right? 😋

nursieee

Reaction score
My Car
Ford Mustang Fastback Mach 1 1973
ok thanks, ill try it again, thought it was almost impossible. Let us see if i can avoid getting mentally ill during wigglingtime.

Spike Morelli

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 ram air 351c H-code, fmx, ps,pb, medium yellow-gold, hubcaps and beauty rings.
If I remember correctly, I removed my glove box liner to remove and re-install the heater box assy. There's a drain hose that goes down to the floor, and, I believe the heater hoses had to be pre- cut to length and installed to the heater core, and routed thru the firewall holes as the box went in. I have A/C too, so maybe my box is slightly different than a non-A/C car. I do remember the job as being a chore, but not the worst.

Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible
AC boxes are significantly different than heater only boxes. The blowers are in different places, the heater only cars don't have the drain hose and they do have the manually operated fresh air vent plenums on the drivers and passenger sides. The cowls and firewalls are different as well.