Heater box remove/repalce

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
While I am working under the dash I see the heater box looks like it is getting to the end of it's life.  I am trying to track down why air is not coming thru the vents, maybe a vacuum thing.  But while I am looking at it I am wondering if it is easy enough to remove and replace the heater box with a new aftermarket one.  I am not tied to the "original" one and a new one seems like it would work and look better, not worried about what it will cost.   I

The new box will cost about $300, plus little stuff.  I am doing mine now because my heater core is toast.  My box and vacuum lines look good, so I am keeping them. Likely the current box was redone by prior owner in 2000.  Easy is not a word to use with this project.  I will remove the entire dash to be sure I do not destroy the box at removal time.  Look at the tutorial on West Coast Classic Cougar site.  Since this is major surgery for my skill level, I will also replace all the wiring behind the dash, as well as get rid of prior owner's Pioneer radio disaster, and replace it with an OEM stereo. Good luck to me and you.

2nd on the “not easy” description of the project.  

I have the aftermarket heat / AC box in my car.  It is a nice piece and is more durable than the original.  Whatever composite the OEM one was made out of is pretty weak.  It requires skill, care and a prayer to R&R without damage.  The major points of weakness are the condensation drain nipple and the areas where the clips go that hold the thing together.

In all honesty the worst part about pulling the dash out is the collateral damage.  

Back