Heater core with A/C replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you remove the flapper to get the heater core out or in?
I have a new box and don’t want to damage it, but I don’t see how to get the flapper out.
What are you doing to the clamshell? Did you buy individual components to assemble your self? If so, send it back. It is doubtful that the evaporator core will fit correctly as mine did not. Anyway if you are going back to original factory configuration, Classic Auto Air has a complete clamshell assembly with all the vacuum motors, dampers etc. with evaporator and heater core all pre-assembled. All you have to do is stab it in and install the nuts on the outside firewall. The complete clamshell minus compressor, hoses and condenser is about $1500.

What are you doing to the clamshell? Did you buy individual components to assemble your self? If so, send it back. It is doubtful that the evaporator core will fit correctly as mine did not. Anyway if you are going back to original factory configuration, Classic Auto Air has a complete clamshell assembly with all the vacuum motors, dampers etc. with evaporator and heater core all pre-assembled. All you have to do is stab it in and install the nuts on the outside firewall. The complete clamshell minus compressor, hoses and condenser is about $1500.
I have a busted heater core. I pulled the heater box out and it was damaged as well. So I got a new box and new heater core. I am swapping the components over, but the flap has to be out of the way to install the new heater core. I haven’t tried moving the evaporator to the new box yet. I will have to check the fit.

I have a busted heater core. I pulled the heater box out and it was damaged as well. So I got a new box and new heater core. I am swapping the components over, but the flap has to be out of the way to install the new heater core. I haven’t tried moving the evaporator to the new box yet. I will have to check the fit.
I took it in the shorts buying all the separate components. I still had to transfer all the vacuum components and it was nightmarish. I had to drill new holes for the evap core and the clamshell still didn’t close together! THEN I found out that CAA sold the complete set. I couldn’t return the shell as I had already modified it by drilling holes.

So the rod will pull out. I do doubt an original one will with all the rust. At least now I know and knowing is half the battle.

Attachments

• B1D70B50-BBAC-4A46-86B8-C7F1D1D1F60D.jpeg
    B1D70B50-BBAC-4A46-86B8-C7F1D1D1F60D.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • C5EFC18C-C906-4E18-AE77-532A471995D9.jpeg
    C5EFC18C-C906-4E18-AE77-532A471995D9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A1057B33-89B6-4361-B8E0-FCA65AB184BC.jpeg
    A1057B33-89B6-4361-B8E0-FCA65AB184BC.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
New verses old! Everything went back together nicely. If I had to do it again I would go with a sure fit unit instead of the oem style. I will probably swap this out next year for the sure fit unit when I get the ac going again. For right now I have a new heater core and box I am good with that.

Attachments

• FFCF5984-C162-4BF8-950F-7ADCC072A565.jpeg
    FFCF5984-C162-4BF8-950F-7ADCC072A565.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back