Heater hose firewall connection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
I want to clean up my heater hose connection and routing. Right now I have them just coming from the heater core connections and going on the engine connections, with the water shut off valve in line. (Don't remember on which hose, but the heater works fine.)

At this time the hoses are just hanging loose between the shock tower and the engine. I plan on replacing the hoses over the winter, but recall seeing a molded "L" shaped(?) hose on some configurations attached to one of the core nipples. I also am going to get a new shutoff valve because the one I have does not allow for a straight thru flow the way the hoses have to be connected.

For the record this is a 302 2v, and there is no automatic choke, so no bracket for one of the hoses, and is also an "ex" A/C car. Being that I removed what was little was left of the A/C components when I bought the car, I had thought of removing the water valve but have been advised against it........so basically, I just want to streamline the hose/valve routing...............Thanks

when i replaced mine this yr i just made them a little longer to allow them to go alone the passenger shock tower. made up a SS sheet mtl piece to rap around both hoses and attach with screw to shock tower. much cleaner then hanging between engine/tower.

The "S" hose connects to the water valve and run to the inner heater core connection. Are you connecting all the vacuum lines from the climate control selector switch, even without the ac system?

The "S" hose connects to the water valve and run to the inner heater core connection. Are you connecting all the vacuum lines from the climate control selector switch, even without the ac system?
Yes, I have the whole octopus hooked up to all the different pods. I still use the control panel with A/C selections on it too. Everything seems  work ok..................Do you have any pictures of the hook up?

Thank you for that......what is the name of the "S" shaped hose? I want to order one...........
Here is the only place I know that sells a repro of the Heater Core to Control Valve - w/ A/C  "S" hose.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/c9zz-18472-cvac.html

I had an old "S" hose, so I cut a spare section of regular yellow line heater hose and slid a piece of copper tubing in it, then bent it in to a "S" without kinking it. I put in the oven at 250 degrees for about 30 mins. I then water chilled it and worked the copper tubing out. It held most of its "S" shape without any kinks. It was a cheaper option than buying the repro.

A question about this S shaped hose. I dont seem to have it in my car. Probably because it was hacked many years ago in its previous dark life. Is this located right at the firewall on the engine bay side?

Also, is the outlet hose straight or S shaped?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The "S" hose connected the a/c water valve to the inner most heater core pipe at the engine bay side of the firewall. See the diagram earlier in this thread. This "S" hose is not to be confused with the airbox a/c condensation drain "S" tube that connects to the base of the airbox and goes thru a hole in the floorboard under the dash on the passenger side near the trans tunnel.

Back