Heater hose fitting replacement, block side

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
I am asking for a little help here.

Does anyone have a sure fire method to press a new block side heater hose stub into the block? I got the 5/8 replacement from NAPA. The machine shop said use a socket and drive it in, it should be easy. But I am having some challenges getting it started.

Any tried and true methods out there.?

Attachments

• 3CA32F9C-DC94-429D-9835-072D4A2F0126.jpeg
    3CA32F9C-DC94-429D-9835-072D4A2F0126.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 12
With a dremmel and a grinding wheel, I put a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the replacement tube. I put some sealer around the leading edge too, Silicon gasket stuff.

Got a socket that fit real loose over it so it went all the way into the socket. Rotated the engine on the stand so I was driving straight down.

I then started with a light hammer to get it started in the hole until the feel socket was flush with the block. I then switched to a shallow socket and used my 4 lb hammer to drive it in to the correct height.

Kcmash

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back