hei

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only that, the rear sump oil pan works better with a straight front axle. Y blocks work well with rear sump needs, but they were never that popular, a 312 with 3 deuces could haul. I personally like the Y blocks, stout engine.

Not only that, the rear sump oil pan works better with a straight front axle. Y blocks work well with rear sump needs, but they were never that popular, a 312 with 3 deuces could haul. I personally like the Y blocks, stout engine.
Out of my wheelhouse I'm afraid. Best engine we had in England was a Lotus-Ford in the mid 60'...…. or maybe a jag 4.2. Me I still was riding motor cycles at 20, couldn't afford a car and when I did get one, it only had three wheels!!! You guys in the US were spoiled rotten, having cars at 16, I was still riding a pedal bike to school, well college actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I started earning money when I was 12, by mowing lawns, then worked on a ranch during the summer and weekends, and then worked in a service station, and yes, I had a car when I was 16, that I bought with my own money. And, I'm still working part time 60+ years later. Spoiled???

I started earning money when I was 12, by mowing lawns, then worked on a ranch during the summer and weekends, and then worked in a service station, and yes, I had a car when I was 16, that I bought with my own money. And, I'm still working part time 60+ years later. Spoiled???
 Well Don, we're waaayy off base here now, but having some fun. 

"Spoiled" might have been pushing it a bit too far. You and a great many others worked hard for their rides, but for me in Britain going to college till I was 20, then starting work, all I could afford was a Norton 500cc motorcycle. At that time not many of my friends had cars either, so when we saw movies from the US where ALL the young kids had cars going to school in the 60's, you can understand that we thought US kids were "spoiled".

OK, back to the subject on hand,

Geoff.

Wow.  I did NOT see all of that coming.

My original comment was to merely point out that HEI is to GM, what Duraspark is to Ford.  When the Original Poster used the term "Ford HEI," it just struck me funny, as those are not terms typically used together.

There's no discounting the performance factor for MSD ignition systems, either.  Sure, they're HEI-derived but are really more of an HEI/Duraspark blend, having an externally mounted ignition control module (6AL, et al).  The Pertronix is kind of the opposite, putting the control module inside the distributor (to replace the points), but still using the external coil.  Most of the others are similar as well, taking this or that from these or those.  It's all about your preference for your car.  The bottom line for those products, however, is that they're a sum of all their parts.  MSD is MSD, and not really "HEI" anymore.  DUI, Pertronix, et al, are no different, being aftermarket performance parts and all.

For my own purposes, I never intentionally cross-pollinate pieces and parts from one to the other.  I prefer my cars to stay true to their heritage and still with factory parts/options whenever I can.  Have you ever gone to a parts store looking for a particular item, and the guy at the counter asks what car it's for?  PITA.  Of course, they're usually really interested when you tell them your HEI system is for a Mustang, but I know quite a few that are brand loyal and will talk a little smack for mix-matching various things.  For instance, yesterday I had to explain why I needed a distributor cap and rotor from a '79 F-150 I-6 for my '80 Jeep CJ-7 when he had parts aplenty for the Jeep (I upgraded the ignition from the stock AMC coil and dizzy to a Ford TFI Super Coil set-up - while still using the factory Duraspark system that came from AMC).  The guy got my parts and even made the comment, "Well, at least these will get you some Ford Blue under that hood."  Whatever, Dude - it's a Jeep... it's a GM engine, running a Ford ignition system, with a GM carb (Carter BBD), a Tremec transmission, and Dana transfer case and axles.  AMC Jeep literally used everybody else's stuff from the factory.

As far as being "gaudy," I'm thinking mine could fall into that category.  Pop the hood and you're greeted by lots of Edelbrock chrome bolt-ons and performance parts, but that's what everybody did back in the day - mine is/was intended all along to celebrate that era.

Alright guys, I sent all the Gm stuff back. I got a SB Ford 351C 351M 400M Small Cap HEI Electronic Distributor Ready To Run 1970-79 with a 45000v coil. The distributor has a red and a black wire. Can you tell me how to wire this setup? Dist to the coil, power supply and anything else that I need to know.    Thanks

Alright guys, I sent all the Gm stuff back. I got a SB Ford 351C 351M 400M Small Cap HEI Electronic Distributor Ready To Run 1970-79 with a 45000v coil. The distributor has a red and a black wire. Can you tell me how to wire this setup? Dist to the coil, power supply and anything else that I need to know.    Thanks
 Polite question; What brand did you buy? 

I would think different brands (or makes) might possibly be different in the way they hook up. Just trying to help, not offend as I might have unintentionally before. My sincere apologies if I did,

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did it not come with some sort of directions or manual?

If it's the one I'm thinking it is, send it back now.

https://swperformanceparts.com/R2R6706BL/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwivbsBRDsARIsADyISJ_ijKWgiJ5uMuuXliVfFtm1hg9IAywzoc4EytGrok6fYJpKJ1nvB2gaAg92EALw_wcB

I bought one of this type off Amazon, just to see how bad it was. Not only did it arrive damaged, it was one of the biggest POSes I've ever held in my hands.

cuedog10, may I ask why you simply did not just ask what distributor would be best for YOUR application. Without going back and reading the whole post, can you remind me/us exactly what motor, cam, carb, vacuum in inches of mercury (Hg) you have. Is it stock or modified.

A properly built and curved Motorcraft/Autolite distributor with a Pertronix Ignitor II and matching coil is all you need in a stock motor imo. However, the DuraSpark would be my choice if I had to do it again. They are not that expensive, but if you want something built for your engine specs, Performance Distributors can do that for you, but you're looking at 265 plus dollars. Google them. Pertronix also make drop in distributors for the 351C, but I've heard good and bad about them. I do know form my own experience that the Pertronix Ignitor III is not a good option if installed in a stock factory distributor, that's why I mentioned the P II.

Geoff.

Did it not come with some sort of directions or manual?

If it's the one I'm thinking it is, send it back now.

https://swperformanceparts.com/R2R6706BL/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwivbsBRDsARIsADyISJ_ijKWgiJ5uMuuXliVfFtm1hg9IAywzoc4EytGrok6fYJpKJ1nvB2gaAg92EALw_wcB

I bought one of this type off Amazon, just to see how bad it was. Not only did it arrive damaged, it was one of the biggest POSes I've ever held in my hands.

Back