Hello from a long time lurker...and finally an owner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeAngersIII

Reaction score
My Car
Nothing yet, but the plan is to have a 71 to 73 Sportsroof with an EFI big block and a sis speed.
Hey folks,

My name's Joe and I live in Massachusetts.

I grew up in a car family, expecially a Ford family (you can say we bleed Ford Blue). My dad's a street rodder, but I've been a Mustang freak ever since my aunt (at the time, my Uncle's girlfriend) pulled up to my grandparent's house in a black 1969 Mach 1. I was ten at the time, and I had never seen, or heard, anything like it. And I've been in love with the Mustang ever since.

I've owned various ponies throughout the years, with my first official car being a 1966 Mustang Fastback that I received as a high school graduation present. It was restoration project that I never got to enjoy becuase circumstances demanded I sell it. Being an 80's kid, I also had my share of Fox bodies, and my last pony was a 2000 GT. I love Mustangs of all stripes, but I've always had a soft spot for the 71-73. It goes back to when I was a senior in HS, and my uncle took me "shopping". He showed me a Grabber Blue '73 Mach 1. It needed some TLC, but I could see underneath that it was something special. I loved the low sleek lines. The near flat back blending ever so sublty into the kamback style rear end, with the slightest hint of a ducktail. My family couldn't get me to shut up about the car. Well, it turns out, that was the car I was supposed to get for my graduation, not the 66. And if not for the owner's obstinance, I would have had my dream car.

Now, fast forward nearly 30 years. A little older, maybe not so wise.

Like the title says, I'm a long time lurker, and as of today, agreed to buy and put a down payment on a 1972 Q-Code Mach 1. I may have the find of the year, and I have not been able to get the grin of my face ever since I shook hands with the owner.

About 90% of the restoration work has been completed, and when I say this car is solid, it is solid. I crawled underneath the car with a flash light and I've never seen cleaner floors on a New England car. I should take delivery sometime in the next week when I can arrange for a flat bed. Everything I need to put the car on the street is included, even a brand new set of 15x7/15x8 Magnum 500's.

And the pictures do not so justice to just how beautiful the paint is. It looks factory/showroom new. Not super show quality mind you. It's not like it was wet sanded and polished. But it probably looks better than when it came out of the factory.

I can wait to put a little elbow grease on her and get her ready for the spring. She's not a perfect show car, but she's going to be a beautiful summer daily driver.

Anyways, I look forward to being a part of the community. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I button her up and put the finishing touches on her. But it's never the big stuff that gets you, it's always those small niggling problems that cause the biggest headaches.

Joe

::welcome:: from Germany!

That sounds and looks like a great car and an easy project to make it perfect for you! A red/black 71/72 Mach 1 was initially my dream car. Now it is a gold '73 but that's another story... ;)

Btw: your rear spoiler looks to be installed backwards, wouldn't it?

Welcome from Western Australia, great find on your vehicle and always exciting when a new old car comes along except perhaps mine which was in pieces and half way through RHD conversion in need of excessive cash to get it going.

Welcome from W Tennessee. Looks like a great car and thank you for sharing your story. Have fun with it and please post up your progress and any questions you may have. I am sure you have seen this is a great community of folks who like to help out any way we can.

Hello from Mississippi. You'll find that many of us are from Ford families and bleed Ford Blue! A 72 Q code in "Write Me a Ticket Red" is sure a great car to get back in the Mustang world! As stated in previous posts, there is a ton of experience and knowledge here, and everyone willing to share and help you in any way possible. Be sure to save the photo of your door certification label info. The vehicle GVWR, GAWR weight ratings were not saved in any data bases. So if you were request a replacement label from Marti Auto Works, he would have to look at VIN ranges near yours and guess at the ratings.

Glad you found us and decided to stay. Welcome to your new Mustang home!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back