Hello from Aurora CO 1973 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great car. I think the mix of original and modern sounds right.
I've owned the car for over 22 years. It's pretty, but I do miss some of the creature comforts the new cars offer. Everything will still look very stock with just a couple of tiny changes. Anyway anything I'm doing should be easy to undo should the next owner want to. As for the mirror mod. I turn 65 tomorrow and it's getting harder and harder to reach to adjust the passenger mirror. The new mirror switch is out of a Ford so I get to keep the chrome bezel.

Beautiful 73, why did you keep it away from our eyes for that long???
Now that you did, I'd love to see more of it!!

Welcome from the northern Netherlands
I'm curious. The picture your using. Is that your car and did you chrome the hood scoops. Sweet!

@BushwackerBob
Yes my 73 scoops were chromed 30 years ago. Same as the higher 73 only fender extensions that were never offered that way for that year.
I wanted my Grandé to look more sporty and classy ( in my eyes ) than in the original configuration.

lady_73_grande.jpg

I've been lurking around here for a long time so I figured I should introduce myself. I bought my Mach 1 in 2000 at an auction in Denver. Used it for a daily driver for about 5 years. I'm on my second time going through this car, The car is a Q code and the only changes I made to the engine was an Elderbrock carb, My factory Holly wouldn't rebuild again I was told. I've tried to keep the car looking as stock as I can while making it more functional. Anything I've done can be undone. Anyone here will be able to see the car is not a stock color. Originally the car was green metallic. The prior owner changed to red and black (real bad paint job). The car is now Gun Metal Gray that was used on 1984 Corvettes. I hope that doesn't upset any purest here. :) Other additions include changing the radio to a Ford factory AM/FM Cassette from a 1973 Ford F150 (bolts right in). I also installed roll down rear windows, added Bluetooth hands free that plays through the factory radio (iSimple Blue HF), back up camera with 2.5 inch screen above the drivers visor, electric door locks, map and courtesy lights and the instrument panel got treated to ultra brights LED. Future projects include the addition of USB charging ports inside the center council and the ram air kit.

View attachment 60535View attachment 60536
Great choice on color. Looks great. I too have been restoring mine while adding personal touches and I see some of what I'm adding, you have too, such as I got and rearview mirror that has the back up cam in the mirror, I added quad power windows to my 72' Mach 1 (and that's not even an option so there very few with that-I love the look with no glass), retro factory radio with Bluetooth guts, adding ram air (again, another feature that wasn't on mine), a bunch of small stuff and all LED lighting upgrade! Love to see others doing the same. I want to drive mine not trailer it so I am trying to enjoy the classic while finding my comfort!

@BushwackerBob
Yes my 73 scoops were chromed 30 years ago. Same as the higher 73 only fender extensions that were never offered that way for that year.
I wanted my Grandé to look more sporty and classy ( in my eyes ) than in the original configuration.

View attachment 60763
That really makes your car stand out. I love the headlights. What kind are they?

Great choice on color. Looks great. I too have been restoring mine while adding personal touches and I see some of what I'm adding, you have too, such as I got and rearview mirror that has the back up cam in the mirror, I added quad power windows to my 72' Mach 1 (and that's not even an option so there very few with that-I love the look with no glass), retro factory radio with Bluetooth guts, adding ram air (again, another feature that wasn't on mine), a bunch of small stuff and all LED lighting upgrade! Love to see others doing the same. I want to drive mine not trailer it so I am trying to enjoy the classic while finding my comfort!
I know what we are doing breaks the purest's hearts, Nothing that's been done can't be undone by the next owner. Most people would never notice. Mine is getting the ram air put in this summer also. Great looking car!

That really makes your car stand out. I love the headlights. What kind are they?
I don't recall 100%. I know at the time, somewhere in 2017 or 2018, they were called "daymakers" for Harley's and Jeeps. They were also offered in different finishes. mine are with the polished rim, but some are with none, or black.
Bought them first by curiosity as they were dirt cheap on ebay (less than 50 buxx a pair) and was frankly expecting some chromed plastic light unit in the great Chinese finish tradition. but wanted to try if they were making really a diff in lighting...
Instead of the expected cheapo plastic, a pair of all aluminium, looking very well build units arrived with great finish. As they bolt on in matter of seconds, tried and loved them right away for their light. Bought another spare pair in case of the next day.

here on some site with a different finish
https://www.ubuy.co.nl/en/product/G...mp-with-daytime-running-light-drl-high-low-be
For my 71, bought the now more classic ones with the thin illuminated outer circle that kinda look like menacing eyes when on. They were also cheapo at the time on ebay and bought 2 pairs.

Similar to mine except I see they are 6x times the price I payed for at the time!!
https://www.ledperf.nl/optiek-motor...tNtsk33BRm4xjPNZNESI23P7DTKjx978aAkMsEALw_wcB
No matter which ones you'll go for, you'll be amazed at the difference of light you get vs the incandescent bulbs.

Very nice '73. I would like to add the rear roll down windows like you've done.

I don't recall 100%. I know at the time, somewhere in 2017 or 2018, they were called "daymakers" for Harley's and Jeeps. They were also offered in different finishes. mine are with the polished rim, but some are with none, or black.
Bought them first by curiosity as they were dirt cheap on ebay (less than 50 buxx a pair) and was frankly expecting some chromed plastic light unit in the great Chinese finish tradition. but wanted to try if they were making really a diff in lighting...
Instead of the expected cheapo plastic, a pair of all aluminium, looking very well build units arrived with great finish. As they bolt on in matter of seconds, tried and loved them right away for their light. Bought another spare pair in case of the next day.

https://www.ubuy.co.nl/en/product/G...mp-with-daytime-running-light-drl-high-low-be
For my 71, bought the now more classic ones with the thin illuminated outer circle that kinda look like menacing eyes when on. They were also cheapo at the time on ebay and bought 2 pairs.

Similar to mine except I see they are 6x times the price I payed for at the time!!
https://www.ledperf.nl/optiek-motor...tNtsk33BRm4xjPNZNESI23P7DTKjx978aAkMsEALw_wcB
No matter which ones you'll go for, you'll be amazed at the difference of light you get vs the incandescent bulbs.
Thanks for the info on the lights. I just made an offer on eBay for $40 black rim. I really like them.

I just got my headlights yesterday. I'm looking forward to installing them this week. Thank you for the tip.

Back