Hello, from NYC. 73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done some tinkering this month, though was out in Europe for two weeks for work and vacation during. I'll list out some observations and theories I have so far and planned next steps and would be great to hear feedback.

For the timing, the white marker is at the 0 degree mark. Got a pic of that here:
marker.jpg

When I check the timing at idle, it looks pretty much at that white line, which would be no advance at all. If that's accurate, that would explain at least some of the poor idling.

Next, I checked vacuum, and this was kind of weird. My distributor has been hooked up to direct manifold vacuum via the 2nd port on my demon carb:
carb-diagram.jpg
I disconnected that while idling and connected vacuum gauge to it. It read zero, needle didn't move at all, which was super strange. Giving throttle didn't change it at all. The gauge works, as when I flip it over to the first port (which is usually plugged), which is for ported vac, then it also reads zero but increases when I open the throttle.

So, I don't know how that second port which is supposed to be full manifold vac would have no vacuum at all. It must be clogged or blocked somehow? I think this would also explain the lack of advance at idle. If it was receiving true manifold vac at idle, there would be some additional advance at idle, but it's getting zero which retards the idle even more. I guess I need to pull the carb off to see if there's some blockage with that port, though the ported/timed one seems fine.

Since I couldn't use the manifold port on the carb to measure vac at idle, I connected to the port directly on the manifold (disconnecting the other stuff attached to that like the ram air actuators). It read between about 6 and 8 inches of mercury, which is pretty poor and I expect I want to be north of 12. Giving throttle would raise it a lot, then it would come back down to 6-8 range again at idle. I presume this is indicative of too little timing advance, as well, and increasing the advance would increase the vac and RPMs as it's struggling around 550-600 at idle now.

I replaced all the spark plugs with Autolite 25s and will replace the plug wires and cap/rotor next. There does seem to be a lot of brown/welded looking area on the terminal metal in the cap, so new one should help with spark quality I hope:
cap.jpg

Here are what my plugs looked like if anyone can comment on what they show:
20230606_202710.jpg

Another observation is that my battery ground cable only goes to the engine block. There's a small black wire that goes to chassis, but that seems pretty minimal vs other ones i've seen online where the big cable goes to chassis with a tab and then to engine block. Should I try to address this? I still have the issue with poor starting where it starts after I release the key from cranking.
ground.jpg

Also, I smelled the engine oil and it definitely smelled like gas.

And, I checked voltage at the coil before/during/after startup. Before start with key in run, it gets 8-ish volts which seems right based on getting power via resistor. I had previously checked during crank (with starter motor disconnected) and it got full battery voltage, which made sense. Today, testing during cranking, it still got full voltage which seemed ok and there wasn't much voltage drop due to starter which was good. But, once engine was running and key in run while idling and voltage was still full battery, which I wasn't expecting. I was expecting it to be at the reduced voltage via the resistor, but didn't seem to be the case. I'm getting a new multimeter and will check this again next time.

So my current plans of next actions are:
- change oil/filter (I haven't done this yet since getting it)
- replace plug wires and cap/rotor.
- advance the timing to at least 6 degrees w/o vacuum advance and see what that gets me in terms of better idling, higher RPM, and higher vacuum.
- *question*: should also disconnect the PCV at the back of carb while setting idle timing and checking vacuum? I suppose there's possibility of vacuum leak there which that would eliminate?
- I have a new clear fuel filter coming and will add a fuel pressure gauge.

I still have the mystery of no vac from manifold port on the carb, so removing the carb i'll look into that. I have rebuild kit so will also do clean/rebuild if other things don't help enough.

I'd start with getting the timing right, https://www.cjponyparts.com/decal-e...dE15Btl5mLilbJh_EgZG2SsCaSMbTebEaAkOdEALw_wcB
The plugs were gas fouled at some point and some have tried to clean up. The Neg. battery cable should have a tab on it the bolts to voltage regulator. I can't tell for sure but it looks like a "custom" adapter plate has been used to mount the replacement carb (may explain no vacuum at the port. My old 73 4V liked 800 RPM at idle better than the stated 700 RPM. Let us know what you find. Chuck

I'd start with getting the timing right, https://www.cjponyparts.com/decal-e...dE15Btl5mLilbJh_EgZG2SsCaSMbTebEaAkOdEALw_wcB
The plugs were gas fouled at some point and some have tried to clean up. The Neg. battery cable should have a tab on it the bolts to voltage regulator. I can't tell for sure but it looks like a "custom" adapter plate has been used to mount the replacement carb (may explain no vacuum at the port. My old 73 4V liked 800 RPM at idle better than the stated 700 RPM. Let us know what you find. Chuck
That sticker is helpful. So, i'll target 16 degrees at idle. Looks like i'll need to add a ground to chassis somewhere or get a different battery cable that has the tab. It's definitely a custom adapter plate under my carb. From what I read, the 73's had an EGR spacer which has to be removed in order to add ram air, which mine has. So, PO must have had this custom one made, but maybe it's blocking the demon's manifold vac port. I guess I could just remove it and just have the regular gasket between the manifold and the carb, or try to find a pretty thin proper spacer, like 1/4" or 1/2".

So, I think i've made some progress. After replacing the plugs, I also replaced the distributor cap and it seems to be starting a lot better, which is pretty cool. I've got plug wires on the way and will do the unilite rotor, too, so I think that should address the issue I was having where it didn't seem to get much spark during cranking. I have another ground cable coming that I will use to connect from the engine ground cable attachment to the body, since there's only a tiny wire from the battery going to the body now. I inspected the PCV valve and hose, and it looks to be in good shape.

The main work was tinkering with the timing. It did seem to be dead on 0 degrees at idle initially with only about 5" vacuum. Advancing that increased the vacuum (and RPM) all the way up to like 30 degrees. I know that's way too much timing at idle, so I backed it down to around 16 degrees per the spec sticker and adjusted idle down to 800-ish. Vacuum there is about 13", which I guess is ok, though I was hoping for more like 16+. I was able to back out the idle adjustment screw to reduce RPM, which I think is good, as I don't know how much of the transfer slot is exposed now, but presume that would reduce it. Whenever I take the carb off, i'll see if they're set right. I was also able to lean the idle mixture screws (4 corners) a good amount before losing vacuum, so I presume my air/fuel mix is better now and the exhaust smell isn't so bad now, which i'm happy about.

So, it's idling a lot better now, at the right RPM, with decent vacuum (13"), and not smelling terrible. There is mechanical advance I can see with timing light when I rev it (up to 30+ degrees). And, then I hooked up the vac advance to ported vac on carb (the manifold port doesn't have any vac, which is another issue I mentioned before). So, overall: progress! But, there's a new issue now:

When i'm in first gear and press down maybe 2/3 throttle to accelerate, it responds right away and accelerates, but then when it hits 3,200 RPM it suddenly dies/bogs (i'm not sure the right term for it). It's like it loses 50% of power suddenly. I let off the throttle and let it climb more slowly and I don't get that bog. Same thing in 2nd gear, it will kick in at a lower RPM if i'm putting it under real load. So what is going on here?? This didn't happen when I test drove it before buying a couple months ago. I have had some backfires early on (through carb and tailpipe), so maybe a power valve? But, if power valve had issue, wouldn't that be messing with my idle more? Not sure what to test or look at next. I've been so focused on getting the idle right for a while where I can look at everything under the hood while it's happening that this seems harder to diagnose.

Here's a video of the car idling today with the vac gauge on. It's definitely not a smooth idle and that engine is shaking around more than it should I think:

Nice work and it sounds like it's getting there! Depending on the cam specs you may not get a real smooth idling engine. It looks like your vacuum is steady and it's idling at a good rpm. Let us know if the other ignition parts make a difference.

You've made some great progress on the situation. My ear suggests your car has a larger cam than a stock 351CJ, so it may require more than the factory 16° initial timing for best performance. Looks like you have some sort of home brew EGR block off / carb adapter plate under the Demon carb. Not sure if that has anything to do with your issues, but it's something I'd investigate. The needle on your gauge wandering around a bit suggests that the carb isn't quite right yet, but it could also be from what may be a larger than stock cam. I believe I can also hear an exhaust manifold/header leak on at least one cylinder.

1688344655780.png

So, how much could I go up on the initial timing? It definitely pulls more vacuum with more timing at idle so maybe I'll go for 20? 22? I should be able to back out the idle speed screw more doing that too.

The metal spacer is definitely homemade and must be the reason for the blocked manifold vacuum port. My guess is the stock egr spacer was removed to make clearance for ram air. I think I'll replace with a proper gasket of similar thickness like this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-108-12

Any ideas on the issue of what's happening under heavy acceleration? I'll look into possible exhaust leak.

Initial depends on what the engine will tolerate when hot cranking, which you have to balance against the total timing produced by the mechanical advance. Mine is at 16°, but I haven't gotten into how far I can go yet. I have to make some custom bushings for the MSD distributor to limit the mechanical to less than the 18° bushing they supply.

That spacer is probably to cover the EGR ports on the manifold. Look behind the carb, there should be a casting number. It will read D3ZE.... if it's a 73-74 manifold with the EGR porting. The CJ manifolds are a unique Ford pattern spreadbore, which requires some ingenuity to run a square bore carb like yours.

http://www.mustangtek.com/Intake/D3ZE-9425-AA.html
If it is, the "best" solution without going aftermarket is to swap to the 70-71 351-4V intake with it's square bore pattern. You can then block the heat port and run that thick gasket to insulate the carb from the manifold. There is a spacer/adapter available, but the extra height might interfere with the RamAir.

http://www.mustangtek.com/D0AE-9425-L.html
Lots of possibilities on the bog. Not knowing what the previous owner did to the carb, my inclination would be to make sure it's set back to whatever the factory settings are on the secondaries. It could be as simple as they put a real soft spring in the vacuum pod and the blades are opening too quickly. It could be a bunch of other things, but I'd get the carb and timing sorted first so you can rule it out.

Thanks @Hemikiller, the custom spacer makes sense now. I do have that 73 style intake and now that I've had a good look, I think it's gonna need to go, though that will take a little time. Aftermarket is fine with me, looks like the Edelbrock Performer is the one people use for low profile to fit the ram air. Maybe I can get one used. I think i'd prefer a dual-plane for low end / street use anyways. I'm not going to be racing or benefiting from high RPM power.

Next, i'll tinker with advancing the timing some more and checking the hot start. I'll look into the vac secondaries a bit. For the exhaust leak, I have headers, so hope those don't need major work or replacement. I would like to get rid of the ticking noise.

Last edited:
So, i've done a few things. I replaced the plug wires and the rotor. Between that and the new plugs/cap the ignition issue from before, where it didn't fire up while cranking, seems taken care of. It will start pretty much instantly now (when the bowls are full).

More importantly, I cleaned and rebuilt the carb. That allowed me to figure out why the manifold vacuum port wasn't working. Turns out it was completed blocked and I had to kind of dig it out with a sharp spike. Confirmed the metal spacer is custom and they had modified the intake as @Hemikiller said. I actually ordered an Edlebrock performer intake to replace that, which I plan to do once I get things dialed in with the current setup.

So, after putting the carb back on after the rebuild, i've got it idling again. I made sure the transfer slot opening on primary was a square. After getting the fuel levels halfway in the sight glasses and tuning the idle mixture screws, it's idling at 900 maybe, higher than I want but I don't want to close the idle adjustment screw as it would close off the transfer slot too much. It's pulling just shy of 16" Hg vacuum, which is an improvement from before. Here's a video from today. It's a smoother idle than before:

The timing is at about 20 degrees right now. When I would turn it back to 16-18, it would basically die at idle. I'm kind of surprised by that as I would expect it should still idle in that range and with less RPM, but had to leave it at 20 for now. Is that ok? Or symptom of something else? When revving, looked to get up to around 40 total, which seems high and without being hooked up to vac advance yet.

The second thing is that when I drive it now and floor it, it's still getting the bog/slowdown when RPM hits above 3,000RPM. It just suddenly loses juice every time. Was thinking maybe the secondaries are opening something isn't right? Or, the total timing at that RPM is too high? It's very predictable and happens every time under acceleration.

Welcome from Missouri. Your negative battery cable should have a piece of the insulation removed with a clamp on the cable. This gets bolted to the apron. I am not sure mine is in the exact spot but I have some nonstock stuff going on as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20230724_202735064.jpg
    PXL_20230724_202735064.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
I went to start it up just now and take for a drive and it won't start at all. It was in exact place that I left it after the tuning I did yesterday where it was running fine and restarting instantly, the only difference is it was fully cooled down now. I tried a few things like lowering the float levels which looked a little high and drained some fuel manually from the bowls to get them down to exactly middle. No change. I tried advancing and then retarding the timing a little bit, no change. Turned all the idle mixture screws a quarter turn out, nothing. Going to sleep on it and try again tomorrow if anything comes to mind. bummed.

Got it running again. Checked and it was getting spark at all the plugs, strength of spark seemed ok while cranking. Not really sure what had been the issue before, but once it got running, I ended up at about 22 degrees timing at idle. Setting lower would stall out, so leaving it there as it seems to work and starts ok. But, does get up to 42-44 all-in looks like. Still seems too high and i'm not 100% that the timing marks are right, but i'll leave here for now.

Also, the bog down when WOT at ~3,200 rpm stopped! So, today I did some flooring in 1st and 2nd up to 4,500 or so and it pulled the whole way, no stumble or anything. So, that's really cool and driving around seemed like it was running without any issues for the first time. I'm going to leave it like this and see if I can get some regular driving for a while to enjoy it and see how reliable it will be. Then, next will be to swap in the new aluminum intake and i've also got to do something about the parking brake which doesn't hold at all really. It came with some new brake cables in the trunk, which is nice, so will try getting those on. Will also change the oil and look into what looks like some oil leaking in area under passenger side footwell. And, probably have the exhaust leak on the driver side header. And, will get a ground cable to the chassis (goes direct from battery to block now only). But, at least I can drive it and floor it finally!

Last edited:
Back