Hello from Reno, Nevada

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! That's looks great! You've done a fantastic job and I know your dad would be happy!

If you haven't added subframe connectors it's probably time. Do some forum searches on them.
Ok, I will definitely look into that, thank you!
Welcome from Birmingham Alabama, Julie! Your Dad would be so proud, and you have done an awesome job with the car. Thanks for saving another one! BTW, the Tutone Hood, Decor Group, and Side Stripe options were rare in 73. The Tutone hood was as close as your Dad could get to something that looked like ram air in 73, do to the EPA and emissions controls. There is a story behind all that you can Google. Even the Q code 4V 351C cars came stock with the flat hood in 1973. You had to order the Tutone hood to get the NASA styled hood. Your car looks like it had the Tutone hood option from the factory. Very cool! Kevin.
That is good to know about the options, thank you! I found some photos of the first year Dad owned it and tried to keep it as close to that as possible. Incidentally, he traded in his 71 red convertible with white top when he got this one. I kinda wish he had kept that one too!
Very nice and welcome. Ummm I think I like a white vert also..
I do like your white convertible! What tires 🛞 do you have on it?
Great story Julie! I believe that your Dad would be very pleased with what you've done. I could not help but notice an old pickup truck and another old vehicle in your second "before" picture, what ever became of them?
Great story Julie! I believe that your Dad would be very pleased with what you've done. I could not help but notice an old pickup truck and another old vehicle in your second "before" picture, what ever became of them?

Mac
Thank you. What a good eye you have! Those cars were projects of my Dad’s from back in the day. My father was a Ford man. I believe it’s a 30’s model A pick-up and a 1936 5-window coupe to the best of my memory. They are probably still there. My Oldest brother lives on the property where I grew up in Phoenix. I haven’t been there in several years.

HI Julie, I know lots of forum members....and I must say you have more support with us then you can imagine. Keep the pedal to the metal!!!
That is so awesome to hear! I have been lurking for a couple months and decided to tap directly into the Mustang brain trust. I have some challenges coming up with the interior plastics that are extremely brittle. LOL I am utilizing the search feature first, but won’t hesitate to send out a question to the group. Everyone seems ready to help. Cheers

Hello, my name is Julie and I live in Reno, Nevada. I am restoring my late father’s 1973 Mustang H code convertible.

Dad ordered it in late 1972 and when it arrived, it didn’t have some of the high performance options that he had ordered. Apparently, Ford discontinued some options mid-production year.

This was his daily driver and he took great pride in it. I was only 10 yo so I don’t know the options that he was expecting. It was an H code 351-2V (but no RAM air) with FMX automatic transmission, 3.25:1 Standard differential. Wimbledon White with white Deluxe interior and the option of body side striping.

In 1984, Dad replaced the engine a 1972 engine from a Mach Mustang which is the engine that sits in it today. 351-4V CJ with a 4 speed top loader Hurst shifter. I am learning the terminology so, apologies if I say something redundant or incorrect.
Dad passed in 1997 and my sister took the car. It sat in her backyard in Phoenix, first covered, then uncovered, then with tears in the convertible top. For 15 years it was never moved or driven.

In 2012, my 17 year old son spotted it and immediately fell in love. He bought it from my sister and my brother helped me transport it to Northern Nevada. My son carefully removed the interior and welded in a new floor pan. Together with my brother he replaced all belts and hoses and got the engine running. He began to sand the body and then he discovered girls and lost interest in the car. The car has been covered and garage stored during the past 10 years. In 2017, it moved with us to Reno and was stored in the corner of our garage. Last summer when we finished our landscaping, I told my husband that I would like to either restore the Mustang or sell it for someone else to restore and enjoy. Happily, he encouraged me to restore it.

I began my restoration journey August of 2021. I have personally repainted it. (soooo much sanding!) I sold the Corbeau seats that my son had put in it and had the original seats recovered. I had the convertible top replaced and the engine professionally tuned. I replaced the carpet and am installing reproduction door panels, etc as the original ones were too far gone. I only wish I had found this 71-73 Mustang Forum sooner, as I have found lots of great advice and answers, mining its depths since joining. I still have lots of little things to do. For example, yesterday I installed a new washer reservoir and pump. Thanks to this forum, I tested it for leaks and power before the full install, saving me time and headaches. My goal is to be largely finished (will we ever be finished though?) by August 7, which will be the one year anniversary of when I began this restoration journey. I am looking forward to driving around town during Hot August Nights which is an awesome event held here in Reno each year. My husband is looking forward to drives to Lake Tahoe with the top down.

I will include a few photos of the car right before my son rescued it and how it is doing now.
I know my Dad would have loved that his daughter and grandson brought his beloved Mustang back from the dead, and am glad to be a part of this forum. Thank you! -JulieView attachment 65298View attachment 65299View attachment 65300View attachment 65301View attachment 65302View attachment 65303
Great job. A 1 year restoration is quite the goal. Love the seat embroidery.

Nice ride, welcome from SoCal.
Thank you
Great job. A 1 year restoration is quite the goal. Love the seat embroidery.
thank you! Since my Dad changed the engine anyway, I figured there wouldn't be any harm in recovering the seats in a more comfortable way. I remember when I was a kid how hot and sticky the original vinyl was every summer in Phoenix. I chose the fabric inserts and the upholsterer said his girlfriend could embroider something on the head rest. I liked the idea of the mustang but wanted to keep it subtle.
As far as the timeline, I wanted to be largely finished before our first grandchild arrives in August, understanding that there will still be things that need to be addressed. cheers

Welcome from Birmingham Alabama, Julie! Your Dad would be so proud, and you have done an awesome job with the car. Thanks for saving another one! BTW, the Tutone Hood, Decor Group, and Side Stripe options were rare in 73. The Tutone hood was as close as your Dad could get to something that looked like ram air in 73, do to the EPA and emissions controls. There is a story behind all that you can Google. Even the Q code 4V 351C cars came stock with the flat hood in 1973. You had to order the Tutone hood to get the NASA styled hood. Your car looks like it had the Tutone hood option from the factory. Very cool! Kevin.
Kevin or anyone, Do you know the numbers of the exterior decor, stripe, tu tone hood options? My Marti doesn't mention the numbers. Also, Julie. Nice car and story. Look up Marti Auto Works for info on your car and post here if you get any results.

Julie - WELCOME FROM OKLAHOMA!

What a great story. We have a bunch of members with similar stories where they are driving a car previously owned by a family member or friend. Some like you where that family member bought it new and other members who bought their car new that they still own.

Looks like in the swap of engine and transmission, you were able to keep things looking close to correct. Even the shifter and black shifter ball are correct for the 72 and 73 351 CJ with the 4 speed. Nice.

Keep the pics coming as you and your family enjoy this 73 Mustang convertible.

Ray

Hello from Switzerland,congratulations on this wonderful car and greetings to Nevada...

Hold on there! You've done a great job on the Mustang. But now.......is that a '34 Ford pick-up next to it in the before photo, and perhaps some 40s vintage coupes?

Kevin or anyone, Do you know the numbers of the exterior decor, stripe, tu tone hood options? My Marti doesn't mention the numbers. Also, Julie. Nice car and story. Look up Marti Auto Works for info on your car and post here if you get any results.
Hello Greg,
According to Marti's info, 5,988 hardtops and 2,987 convertibles were produced with the $51.00 exterior Decor group option. (N/A on Sportsroof) The $23.23 black or argent body side tape stripe was available only in conjunction with the Decor group. It was not a standalone option. 2,048 hardtops and 941 convertibles received this option. Whether it was an oversite or Marti has incomplete info, he does not list the production numbers for the Tu-tone hood option. It was an 18.00 option for Mach1s and 34.00 for all other models. It included the NASA (Mach 1) style hood with black or argent paint and twist style hood looks. A ram air option was available on any model with the H code 351 2bl engine. It would have the same appearance as the hood mentioned above but was functional and had the "351 Ram Air" decals on the hood. Marti's records show 283 hardtops, 309 Sportsroof, and 11 convertibles had this option.

ConvertibleGals Mustang would be an excellent candidate to obtain a Marti report since it would list how the car was equipped when new 50 years ago. Since her car is a '73 351 2bl H code, it could have been ordered with ram air or the '73 only Tutone hood paint option. :)

Back