Hello. New UK '71 Mach 1 Owner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 'M-Code' manual
Hello and good morning to you all!

I'm Simon, or just plain Si.

I live in a village about 20 miles south-west of London. I own 4 other cars and an RV, so, yes, I'm addicted to all things with wheels. Always have been.

I've been lurking and reading your excellent forum for a few weeks now and have been absorbing as much information as I can.

Yesterday, I viewed and agreed to buy a matching numbers '71Mach 1 with an M-code 351 mated to a Hurst 4-speed. It's got 48,000 miles from new (dry stored for 16 years) and recommissioned earlier this year with a paint colour change.

This is my first classic American muscle car and the realisation of a 35 year dream. I turn 44 tomorrow (3rd) and figured it's about time I gave in to temptation.

I grew up, rather predictably, on an intense diet of watching the Dukes of Hazzard, Smokey and the Bandit, Knight Rider, endless car-chase films and, of course, the original Gone in 60 Seconds. I've never wanted a car as much as I've wanted an American muscle car.

It had to be either a 'Charger, Trans Am or a '71-'73 Mach 1.

Timing, prices and the right car at the right time meant I bought a Mach 1, although my very first muscle car book (of many) was about the Mustang.

So, what have I agreed to buy? Pictures below and comments, good and bad, welcome.

5dd7a82560985b6652454c176f185a09.jpg

c944b1b4c8297aa2179a3b6aab08ea22.jpg

5e28da71a1daf8edbcd00e637a78e4ae.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment Welcome 4 with face.jpg

Hello Simon,

Welcome to the forum. Many happy returns for your birthday as well. Your intended purchase looks very decent indeed, and i too love the colour as well.

I hope i proves to be a top car for you to enjoy greatly!

Hope you enjoy the forum and benefit from being a member.

Greg.:)

Just one minor thing that you might like to know, your rear spoiler appears to be on backwards, it supposed to have the end tapers at the rear like this one. You may find it difficult to just simply spin it around though because it looks like the fitment holes may be drilled too far back on the boot lid which may cause the spoiler to hang too far over the back.

1972-mustang-mach-1-rear-spoiler.jpg

Thanks all!

Yes, I'm ashamed to admit the rear spoiler is on backwards. I'll hopefully get this fixed when I collect her.

Not much planned for this one. Keeping her stock and as clean as possible and just enjoying the whole Mustang experience.

I notice a few Australian members. Part of my love for this era Mach 1 are the similarities with the Falcon GTHO's with the (Aussie built) 351 and Top Loader. I lived in Australia for a year and became a Ford fan watching V8 Supercars.

Hello and welcome from France :)

What a beautifull one you have, and with a 4 speeds gear box!!!

welcome from latrobe PA! You certainly have a world class example of our mustangs.

welcome from latrobe PA! You certainly have a world class example of our mustangs. Since you appear to have it all together am looking fwd in seeing yours as a contestant in our yearly calendar.

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum from Luxembourg, Europe.

I like the color, it's different.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!! :)

Greetings from Finland!

Georgeous looking Mach 1, I like the burgundy colour theme. Good looking interior too, looks like new. There are plenty of cool Us-made muscles at UK and this looks to be a very good example.

Thanks again.

I wasn't at all sure on the colour until I saw it. I actually wanted it back to its stock Pewter Grey / Silver, but it appears that many like it, so it looks like she'll stay this way.

Wheels, too. Once again, I thought about Cragars but the more I look at these deep-dished stock items, the more I like them.

Rather like the fact that the original owner specified the M-code 351 and the 4-speed and absolutely nothing else. Looks like they had performance in mind from the outset.

Hopefully collect her this coming weekend. Really cannot wait!

Back