Help? '73 Mach 1, Not sure what to go for the paint and theme.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well let's do a poll too. Which theme do you prefer out of what I have said?

• Total voters
The P-51 Mustang look is very cool and clever. Would certainly turn heads, but would probably also be the most difficult and expensive option. Good luck and have fun!

I'm going to go ahead and play a little bit of a devils advocate here because I really like two of your ideas. I voted for the lean and mean, because a black mustang is just a certain kind of sexy (I'm not biased or anything, having owned a 2012 GT/CS in black) but now I'm wondering if you couldn't tie your lean and mean, and Air Force ideas together. Deviating a bit from the more P-51 Mustang classic look, into something that still gives the Air Force nod while carrying the lean and mean grit.

For example, this has to be one of my favorite custom mustangs out there:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2011-ford-mustang-sr-71-blackbird/

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_1203_2010_sr_71_blackbird_ford_mustang/

Just some food for thought for you! I've been playing with the paint ideas for my 73 Mustang as well. I'll be curious to see what you decide!

2011-shelby-mustang-roush-sr-71.jpg

I like the idea of an air force tribute car, but it will be a challenging paint job. I suspect the grey paint used on the Old Crow version is one of the many compromises they made to accomplish their version.

Best return on investment should you sell will be to stay close to stock. Wild paint jobs-no matter how well they are done, have limited appeal.

Just my thoughts here.

You have 3 good choices with the last 2 being influenced by your own tastes and honoring family/friends. I would say go with what makes you happy. You are young and have plenty of time to change it as many times as you wish in the future. No one can tell you what is best or what should be done, we all have different likes/dislikes/personalities so do what makes you happy. After all you are the one that will be driving it. Good luck on your project!!!

-jbojo

Why so HARSH??? man that was just too confrontational..... :cool:

I'm a huge warbird fan and that P-51 scheme is very cool, and hey you can always go to something else if you wanted, its only paint decals whatever no biggie :p

I agree with Kniknook. Use the KISS philosophy. Keep it simple,stupid. You're already talking about a camaro that you want. Don't do a lot of mods you can't undo or you'll never be able to sell the car should the time come. Not that we ever make money on our cars!! Or ever plan on selling them for that matter. :( I'm a big fan of silver. Paint it silver, put Air Force decals and P51 references as well. Then if push comes to shove you can take the vinyl off and maybe even put some factory stripes on. That thing would sell quickly and you can move on to the next project. Preferably another 71-73. After all they are the coolest cars ever made. :) BTW my 72' is viper blue and I'm in the same dilemma. 99% sure I'm going silver with black stripes though. Good luck!!

I agree with Kniknook. Use the KISS philosophy. Keep it simple,stupid. You're already talking about a camaro that you want. Don't do a lot of mods you can't undo or you'll never be able to sell the car should the time come. Not that we ever make money on our cars!! Or ever plan on selling them for that matter. :( I'm a big fan of silver. Paint it silver, put Air Force decals and P51 references as well. Then if push comes to shove you can take the vinyl off and maybe even put some factory stripes on. That thing would sell quickly and you can move on to the next project. Preferably another 71-73. After all they are the coolest cars ever made. :) BTW my 72' is viper blue and I'm in the same dilemma. 99% sure I'm going silver with black stripes though. Good luck!!
My eyes are set on the black and red mainly now, so nothing crazy. And if I get the Camaro, it's going to be straight stock, but first things first, I would have to talk to owner into selling haha

I love the black with red. If I ever repaint my 71 convertible I will be really tempted to go with that theme.

Thanks being said, please take a step back and just think for a moment. YOU ARE 18 YEARS OLD!!! What an amazing "problem" to have... not knowing how to paint your awesome 73 muscle car Mustang!!!! Enjoy!

I love the black with red. If I ever repaint my 71 convertible I will be really tempted to go with that theme.

Thanks being said, please take a step back and just think for a moment. YOU ARE 18 YEARS OLD!!! What an amazing "problem" to have... not knowing how to paint your awesome 73 muscle car Mustang!!!! Enjoy!
You can never go wrong with black and red. It'll always be abstract and an eye catcher. Especially with the way I'm thinking of doing it. And I know it's an awesome problem, I just like hearing opinions, especially from ones that would've seen the car back in the day. And I know for a fact that there are only 3 other '71-'73 Mustangs driving around in my county. So no matter what it'll be a head turner. And I can't wait for the Ford dealership to have another car show day. Last time there weren't any '71-'73 Mustangs but once I get mine up and in show condition, I'll be the youngest one there with a classic Mustang. And my Mustang has been getting a lot of hype from people haha

Yup..Like the black and red my self;) Lean and mean... Go too complicated and you could turn out a paint job you are not happy about...lol.. BTW..wonder how this would look with 73 mach 1 stripes instead of the hockey side stripes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup..Like the black and red my self;) Lean and mean... Go too complicated and you could turn out a paint job you are not happy about...lol.. BTW..wonder how this would look with 73 mach 1 stripes instead of the hockey side stripes?
And I don't think it'll be too complicated. Ironically on a racing game I play, they recently added a '71 Mach 1 Mustang so I took it and painted it like how I want my '73 to be. So I took off the '71-'72 stripes and put the '73 stripes on it. Did the paint the way I wanted. And now I love it, it's one of my most driven cars on the game now too haha.

But the paint won't be too complicated. Here's what I'm aiming for now. Either flat black or Semi-gloss black for the body. And metallic red stripes. So it's a little complicated but I know I'll like it no matter what because it's my car hah

And I don't think it'll be too complicated. Ironically on a racing game I play, they recently added a '71 Mach 1 Mustang so I took it and painted it like how I want my '73 to be. So I took off the '71-'72 stripes and put the '73 stripes on it. Did the paint the way I wanted. And now I love it, it's one of my most driven cars on the game now too haha.

But the paint won't be too complicated. Here's what I'm aiming for now. Either flat black or Semi-gloss black for the body. And metallic red stripes. So it's a little complicated but I know I'll like it no matter what because it's my car hah
Good choice! I plan to do similarly, myself.

Back