Help finding a replacement heater hose fitting in the block

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c FMX trans and 9 inch rear end
Does anyone know where I can buy the fitting that presses in to the block for the heater hose. Mine went missing during the the rebuild / dyno adventure. I have looked around and everything I can find is pipe thread type and this appears to be a press in. The dyno guy installed a freeze plug to run on the dyno but I need to find a fitting so I can attach heater hoses when I install it in the car. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Mach 1 386.jpg
    Mach 1 386.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Mach 1 387.jpg
    Mach 1 387.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 2
Ford refers to this press-in tube you need as a water bypass tube. The original application for this tube goes back to '58 when it was used as a bypass tube on the newly released FE engines. The name just stuck, and Ford never changed it regardless of the engine application.

The Ford part# is C5AZ-8555-A (replaced by "B") and is 5/8" OD x 2 1/2". Depending on your parts source, you may have to cut the tube length down since it is a multi-application part. The Ford version is no longer available, but since just about everyone has a NAPA store, you can try them. Their part # is BK 660-1580.
If you have a favorite part store other than NAPA or an online source, they should be able to cross the Ford part number. :)

Attachments

• 8555-c5az-b1.jpg
    8555-c5az-b1.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 0
Ford refers to this press-in tube you need as a water bypass tube. The original application for this tube goes back to '58 when it was used as a bypass tube on the newly released FE engines. The name just stuck, and Ford never changed it regardless of the engine application.

The Ford part# is C5AZ-8555-A (replaced by "B") and is 5/8" OD x 2 1/2". Depending on your parts source, you may have to cut the tube length down since it is a multi-application part. The Ford version is no longer available, but since just about everyone has a NAPA store, you can try them. Their part # is BK 660-1580.
If you have a favorite part store other than NAPA or an online source, they should be able to cross the Ford part number. :)
Great! thanks for the help

tpj71mach, The fact that a Dyno Shop didn't install the correct tube in your block, and even went so far as to put a freeze plug in it's place, is bothersome to me. I work in a performance machine shop, and I've seen these guys, at my work, stare like they're not sure what to do here. For God's sakes, we need more mechanics that are familiar with other than just Chevrolets! I've seen shade tree mechanics put a short piece of heater hose on a nipple and force an old spark plug into it, with a clamp, when the nipple is un-used. So, sadly, you're not an isolated occurance. There are rubber caps at the parts store for capping off heater hose nipples. As far as I can remember, I've always replaced those Cleveland block fittings when a block is in for machine work, whether the customer asked for it or not. It usually sticks up above the deck surface anyway, so if you are decking the block, it's in the way, so I pull 'em and put a new one in. In the end, it's buyer beware, anyone sending their Cleveland block out for machine work should check to make sure this is attended to BEFORE building, and installing the engine. Secluff has it right, the part is common.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back