Help identifying this year mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToeKnee

Reaction score
My Car
Sadly I don't even own one! I just have a question for the group.
Ok don't hate on me, but this seems like the perfect group of people to help me out here. I'm a complete novice when it comes to telling one year Mustang apart from another.

My mom came across this 40 some odd year old photo of her, my dad, and my little sister. She said it was for an ad they were doing a photo shoot for in Redbook magazine. She couldn't for the life of her remember what year this was taken in. She "thought" about 1973. I'm trying to track down an old copy of the the magazine and having the year would narrow my search down. She remembers the car was brand new and still had powder on it from the factory.

I looked on google at a bunch of pictures, but I just wasn't sure. I'm sure someone will know immediately.

Thank you!!!!!!

Redbook Ad - Mom Dad Chris.jpg

It's a 1973. The rear tail light trim is bright, not painted black like the 71-2's

All responding members are correct; 1973 - base model convertible. Appears to be light-colored car, possibly white or yellow.

Interesting door edge molding.

Thanks for sharing and welcome from Oklahoma.

Ray

Wow, that didn't take long! That should narrow my search down for the correct month and year magazine.

Thank you everyone!!

I'm very impressed!!! Odd you knew enough, came to come to THIS site to ask the question but didn't have a clue what year it was. You could have picked 6 or more popular sites than ours but picked us. Cool.

MustangForums

Vintagemustang forums

themustangsource

allfordmustangs

Mustangworld

concoursmustangs

etc etc

Very interesting guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, that sticker is instructions on how to tie down the car for shipping to the original selling dealer. I think they make repros of that.

What are the differences unique in this view that make it a 73?

What I see are;

1) Bright taillight and applique panel trim

2) Bumper gaurds

3) Extended bumper mount, with plastic inserts at corners

Are those hubcaps exclusive to '73? I thought I had seen them on 71s and 72 s also...

Are those hubcaps exclusive to '73? I thought I had seen them on 71s and 72 s also...
No they were used in all 3 years 71, 72, 73.

mine is an early 72 and it came with those hub caps, and I have seen 71 brochures that show them as one of the options.

Back