Help suddenly no power to convertible top or power windows

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
 I went out this morning I drove to my office, I’m not sure if I put the window down, but I think I did. I then went to the store and decided to put the top down. When I went to push the switch nothing happened. I figured OK I’ll just open windows they’re  dead too. Everything else is working, the car drives fine I just have no electricity to the windows or the convertible top. Any suggestions?

They have a common power source, from a connection on the battery side of the starter solenoid to a circuit breaker. The circuit breaker likely failed, also possible the connection at the solenoid failed. It's a black with yellow dots wire after the circuit breaker, yellow between the solenoid and relay.

Secondly, is there a way to temporarily Jerry-rig the cb with a fuse (what amperage?) while I get a new cb?

today just isn’t my day, after this I took my 04 bimmer, which I just replaced entire cooling system ($1500 -water pump to radiator), it overheated, has to be towed. I may have to sue shop. Sitting at side of road waiting, Someone remind me about hobbies calming us down

Never, ever, replace a circuit breaker or fuse with a section of wire (unless it's a fusible link wire). 

You'll have to go to a parts store to get anything safe to bypass the breaker, so why not just get the breaker? Much easier and safer to replace it than trying to Jerry rig something.

It's a 20 amp breaker and should be located between the solenoid and regulator on the fender apron. Any parts house should have them

Bussmann Circuit Breaker BP-CBC-20HB-R (autozone.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
The way my day is going I assumed the cb would be a Mustang specific part. Would never replace fuse or cb with wire, was asking if I could temporarily replace cb with fuse

My hand in fire its the big bad relay in metal casing (which corrodes and no longer protects the inside coil). Either located on driver side tower or inside under column depending on years.
These being sold at totally nuts price, around 90-110 dollars a piece, I looked at the amperage and on my coupe 73 it was 40 amps. Bought a relay for 5 buxx and it's been moving my windows since without any problems.
They burn and create a short that of course blow the fuse.  

Last edited by a moderator:
That CB is located at the starter solenoid or very close to it if mounted separately.

If both the power top and the power windows stopped at the same time, the circuit breaker at the solenoid is the culprit.  The common splice to split the power to the top and the power windows is before the power window safety relay.  If the breaker was still good and the relay bad, the top would still work.

So, finally fixed. Not the cb (after an hour of testing and checking and scratching my ***, I finally figured out the wire right as it came out of the cb had an intermittent break, 2” off the top and a new spade connector and I am back in business. Thanks to all who opined, your advice set me in the right direction 

Back