Help with American terminolgy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I need to order some bits for the car but my mechanic uses British terminology so i don't have a clue.

The shaft between the gearbox and the rear axle is called a Propshaft in the U.K. What is it called in the U.S?

I need to order 2 rear needle bearings.

Can anyone shed any light on what i need to order?

The prop shaft is called the Drive Shaft here. Is he saying you need needle bearings for the u-joints? I would just replace the u-joints all together. They are a maintenance item.

The u-joint itself? The two pieces meet and are connected with what is called a u-joint or universal joint. Pic attached. There are 4 caps on the u-joint. two attach to the yoke on the diff and 2 attach to the drive shaft (pressed in). the caps rotate and have needle bearings in them.

37216.jpg

Jason is correct, replace the u-joint. Even if you could find just the needle bearings they wouldn't last, due to the wear patterns in the cups and on the cross shafts.

Local parts store. You need to know what size u-joint you need. Replace them both! Front at the trans and rear at the diff.

Most likely both are 1310 size.

The rear one may be at 1310BC (mine was) basically it is a 1310 u-joint but with 1330 caps on the end that attaches to the rear diff.

Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and America: separated by the use of a common language.

Great Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and America: separated by the use of a common language.
Yeah for sure. It always surprises me how it's sometimes hard to be understood when speaking a language common to the majority of the English speaking population.

Local parts store. You need to know what size u-joint you need. Replace them both! Front at the trans and rear at the diff.

Most likely both are 1310 size.

The rear one may be at 1310BC (mine was) basically it is a 1310 u-joint but with 1330 caps on the end that attaches to the rear diff.
Just when i thought i had solved the language issue there are differant U-Joints rofl Does the rear U-Joint size depend on which gearbox is fitted? Mine is a FMX

And local parts stores don't exist for American Classics in the U.K :huh:

The rear u-joint will depend on the yoke that is on your rear diff.

The u-joints are VERY common to many vehicles including current models, especially the 1310. The 1310BC if you need it is less common but what you can do is buy a 1310 and a 1330 and swap the caps on two sides onto the 1310 u-joint. What you need to do is have your mechanic measure the u-joints for size and cap diameter to determine what you need. Like I said these are not a classic American muscle car u-joint they are used all the time.

And to make things clearer in terms of language, U-joints are not to be confused with U-Tubes. *G*

Hi Steve - surely someone like USAutomotive (Bedford) can easily sort you out with the correct u/j? They found rad hoses for my 429 swap ok!

Some creative internet searching will turn up a dozen more around the UK.

Hi Steve - surely someone like USAutomotive (Bedford) can easily sort you out with the correct u/j? They found rad hoses for my 429 swap ok!

Some creative internet searching will turn up a dozen more around the UK.
Thanks Duncan. I found a closer store on A5 in Nuneaton, about 10 miles from me. Had to take old U-Joints to match them up. USAutomotive are good but expensive. Although they can import every week if you need stuff in a hurry

Back