help wiyh steering gear box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toastintx

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 351C
probably going to have to change steering gear box. problem is mine does not have id tag on it. ive read that there were different gear boxes used. can anyone help me identify what i have without removing it

This site might help. http://mustangtek.com/steering/Steering.html

All I know is there are different number of turns from lock to lock for different ratios. Never had to deal with that one. I do have a box out of a 71 M code power steering. Car was crashed and was good box when crashed. I hear you can rebuild or send and have rebuilt. Do a search of the site for info.

David

thanks looks like i have several options of what they used. since i cant find an id tag i guess i have to remove it

Roger Rode of Rode's Restoration in Galion, OH is a personal friend of mine and his main business is steering gear boxes and associated parts. You can reach him at (419) 468-5182. Tell him I sent you.

I'm just guessing its the box, a lot of play in steering when driving and after turning a corner my steering wheel doesn't freely return to center on its own. Mechanic over the phone til me that it didn't sound like the box but maybe pitman arm or idler arm

I'm just guessing its the box, a lot of play in steering when driving and after turning a corner my steering wheel doesn't freely return to center on its own. Mechanic over the phone til me that it didn't sound like the box but maybe pitman arm or idler arm
If your car is equipped with a competition suspension you have a variable ratio box.You should check for binding/excess free play in the steering linkage as well as by disconnecting the pitman arm from the steering box.You also should check your upper and lower ball joints as well as upper control arm shaft bushings. Steering wheel return to center is affected by alignment especially caster angle.

Ron

From MY personal experience only!!

Good info from all the above. Not sure about all Competition Suspension cars being variable ratio though. Mine is and you can check your lock-to-lock turns. 16:1 to 13:1 variable ratio LTL is about 3 1/8 turns or a little over 1 1/2 turns each way. If it's more than that, it's not a VR. 17.5 :1 is another ratio listed for 71-73's for power steering cars. Manual boxes are 22: or 24:1 or about 5 turns LTL I know, I got rid of my manual box, took forever to make sharp turns!!

It sounds to me like your geometry is way out as suggested. Have it all checked including the pump, hoses and fluid level.

Thanks guys good info. My turn lock to lock is about 3 3/4 turns, going to check play in wheel and go for an alignment. Cheap enough to do a pitman arm and idler arm just incase

Thanks guys good info. My turn lock to lock is about 3 3/4 turns, going to check play in wheel and go for an alignment. Cheap enough to do a pitman arm and idler arm just incase
One more thing that might help. I don't recall you saying what year your car is. From Kevin Marti's book "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook 1965-1973", for power steering, you will either have a 17.5:1 fixed ratio or a 16:1to13:1 variable ratio. With 3 3/4 turns, mu guess is it is a 17.5:1. It could be a SPA-S if 17.5:1 or SPA-T if variable. I'm not going to list all the tag letters as you don't have a tag to go by, but this is a very useful book to buy. NPD carries it if I remember.

Hope this adds more info to your question.

Geoff.

Back