Her 72 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was fantastic to see the younger generation just as car crazy as I was at that age. And to be so skilled at what they do as I was at that age. We were lucky to have had them take time out from their schedule and come to our house to do a job.

I certainly wasn't ranking on young people. Hope it didn't come across that way.

Friends from yesteryear have also enjoyed the recent pics. Albeit a good ribbing came with the "looks incredible" comments. They reminded me more than once how diehard of a bowtie guy I was back in the day. Not that I didn't appreciate the blue oval. I sure did. Those friends of yesteryear had awesome ones that I still tell stories about to folks that I end up talking cars with today. But I do remind them that the Mach 1 isn't mine. It's my lady's Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now the monumental task of completing the Mach 1 may now commence.

Some body issues still remain with a solution yet to be determined. The passenger door alignment (wasn't original door and never addressed), NO parking brake cable provisions (hole in floor, floor pan brackets), rear window trim clip studs install (weren't done when 1/4 was replaced), side mirror/hood scoop/urethane bumper paint.

Man, after following this for so long I'm happy as hell for you.

I'd probably still be in a corner curled up in the fetal position.

Mike
Yes, trust me, I had to crawl out of the corner for this last week. If the furnace, ac, septic system, etc. craps. We are so screwed. I'm just a aircraft mechanic supporting a family of 5 1/2. And Christmas is only 3 months away. Fixing up an old car from the bottom up is tough on the wallet.

Looks great!!!! That’s how it should of looked when you picked it up from the painter.  A job is not done until it has been wet sanded, buffed, and hand glazed. 
That gentleman did a great job! It’s all downhill from here! 
Congrats . 

Ya'll are gonna have a good chuckle.......I've got a line on another Mach 1. 71, Pewter, 351c, auto. Emailed some pics to a ham radio buddy and as it turns out he has a Mach 1 too. Wasting away in a pasture. Hmmmm....didn't I say something in the last couple of days about "never again." Hey, anyone wanna buy a Camaro?

Ya'll are gonna have a good chuckle.......I've got a line on another Mach 1. 71, Pewter, 351c, auto. Emailed some pics to a ham radio buddy and as it turns out he has a Mach 1 too. Wasting away in a pasture. Hmmmm....didn't I say something in the last couple of days about "never again." Hey, anyone wanna buy a Camaro?
Let me know if you don’t want the pewter 71, I know a guy looking! Lol

Let me know if you don’t want the pewter 71, I know a guy looking! Lol
Will do. Looks savable. I told him there is repro metal. From the .mov file he sent I thought it was doable. Only the hidden monster of the dreaded cowl rot could be there because of where it is sitting. But dang, it's all there. I let him know if he ever decided to part with it that I'd love to be the one he calls. It HAS to be saved. He knows.

Earlier today Mrs.72Mach1 showed me a side by side comparison; then and now. Whew! We ARE getting somewhere. Good reminder.

View attachment 54999
There is nothing more motivational then to look back at what you started with and what you have now.  Once you see the return on your hard work it becomes easier to push on to complete the job.  You are going to have one very nice ride when you are done.  Great job. 

There is nothing more motivational then to look back at what you started with and what you have now.  Once you see the return on your hard work it becomes easier to push on to complete the job.  You are going to have one very nice ride when you are done.  Great job. 
That is a very true statement.

IMG_20171014_183531480_HDR.jpg

1204081649 (Large).JPG

Somehow I missed that you have Covid. I do hope you jump right past that. My neighbor in her 80's got over the holidays and spent 83 days in hospital and rehab. So it kicks older peoples ass. Keep us informed for sure and hope the kids are fine.

I do not know if you know the history of the Ford Slop Gray paint. In the paint shop you are changing colors all the time as different cars come through. Ford collected all the purge paint and left over of every color and mixed it all together. As colors do if you mix white, black blue, red all colors together it always comes out a gray color. Sometimes darker some lighter. The parts I mentioned go painted with this more or less waste paint and the name Slop Gray got applied because it was slop mixed together.
It does make the car look correct to open the hood and there be the different colors there not all satin black.
The green car is one of our members and is a Concourse Restoration. It won Best of Show at this event in April with over 1,000 mustangs there so you know it is right. My car is an original survivor I ordered new and not restored. You can see the Slop Gray parts in some of the pics. I am doing a write up on the parts that have Manganese Phosphate on them also. That would be the hood hinges, hood latch mechanism, parking brake assembly, gas pedal and the upper mounts on the shock tower. It is not paint but a chemical process you can duplicate.
I am one of those that if you are going to redo why not make it like Ford did cost the same and will add value for sure.

View attachment 50842

View attachment 50843

View attachment 50844

View attachment 50845

View attachment 50846
Hi,
Can someone tell me ........What color are the shock towers? Looks like they were blasted and then clear coated?

Hi,
Can someone tell me ........What color are the shock towers? Looks like they were blasted and then clear coated?
Assuming you mean the shock top mounts to the shock towers, they should be natural steel finish. So preferably blast it and shoot some satin clear over it.

This was a great thread to read, I wasn’t around when it was fresh. Whomever this guy was, “the paint whisperer”, he did an amazing job to save this car. That paint correction looks incredible.

I wonder if there are any updates on the build… @72Mach168Cam hasn’t been logged on to the forum since December 2021. Anyone in touch with him?

Back