Here is a deal!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Grabber Blue w/Argent stripes. Original 2V 351C Auto, Tilt, rear defog, Black Comfortweave Interior. Under restoration. Original colors, 4V 351C, 4-Speed, Spoilers, Magnums, Ram Air. All Ford parts.
Yeah, figured it would be Bob Perkins once I saw the item and the price. This is why 'Thoroughbred Restorations" are pretty much out of reach for 99.9% of us. As for the carb, there are probably only a handful of those Boss 351 specific 4300D NOS models left in existence.

Strange that the internet drove down prices on the old parts but some still think some of them are gold. I have a few rare pieces and do the same thing price them for the rich and famous. There is always someone out there with too much money and just has to have the item.

Hurts the little guy for sure.

David

My first thought was of Pastel Blue and his deep in the pocket purchase of his date correct J code Quadrajet. Bet he's relieved he doesn't need one for a Boss 351. When I saw the seller was Bob Perkins, all was explained. I understand better than anyone the rarity of NOS Boss parts and supply and demand pricing of said parts. I also understand he is collector, enthusiast, and a business man. His collection of cars is something most of us can only dream about. His upper level gold class concours cars and parts are out of reach of most of us "Commoners" who I feel are the real enthusiasts. I was at a MCA show and watched a Boss 429 pushed out a trailer and rolled to the show area. Never cranked the car, didn't want to "Soil" anything. Lol

Approximately 10-12 years ago a friend of mine who restores Mustangs bought some parts for a Boss 429 from Perkins.

Used distributor: $2,500.00

NOS muffler's: $1,800.00 each

NOS 29 series trunk battery: $3,000.00

There was a full page of these parts and the prices didn't get any cheaper. The crazy thing about the battery was that it would be for show only. No one wanted to put acid in it, and considering the age of the battery, it probably would not of held a charge anyway.

I hear my song playing again, "If I only knew then what I know now" :cool:

In my collection of stuff I just sold off was 2 of these carbs. I got over half the price each for them as Bob is asking for this one. I am 99 percent sure that this came from my shop.

I am going to call the buyer and confirm. He was clear upfront that he was going to flip all of the loose parts and already had buyers lined up.

This is the same person that is planning to sell the SOHC motor at no reserve in one of the upcoming Barrett or Mecham auctions. I told him he would loose his butt doing it this way. He paid me what I feel is over retail for it but best of luck to him.

He treated me fairly and I am happy with the sale.

Secondly, There is a "perfect" MCA Boss 429 that I know for a fact does not have rods or pistons inside it. But every grease mark and paint dab is correct. Push it off, get your trophy, push it back on. What a waste.

Paul of MO

Hold on let me get my wife's credit card. Seriously 8 1/2 grand for a carb is a little ridicules don't you think? The worst part is they weren't a very good carb to begin with and most guys ripped them off and put on Holly's back in the day.

Paul that's the bad part about the "Money" people getting involved in these cars. I can understand not wanting to drive a $100,000 plus car on the street everyday. The push it out, get the trophy, push it back in the trailer group is really missing the real fun of "Dropping the Hammer" on one of these cars and hanging on. I was fortunate that the group of gearheads I hung with were big block fanatics and loved the 429. They "Tolerated" me and my "M" code Mach 1 since I also owned a 72 429 Gran Torino Sport. The rare car in the group was a 69 Boss 429. I drove that car many times and it was an absolute blast. Considering the weight on the front end, it handled really well.

So that $8,500 Boss 351 carburetor will probably be installed on another "Push" car and they will not get to experience the sound of a Boss 351 engine pulling at wide open throttle!!

Like you said Paul...what a waste!! :)

Don't worry in like 20 years as a different generation gets older these old car values will go down the drain.

Paul that's the bad part about the "Money" people getting involved in these cars. I can understand not wanting to drive a $100,000 plus car on the street everyday. The push it out, get the trophy, push it back in the trailer group is really missing the real fun of "Dropping the Hammer" on one of these cars and hanging on. I was fortunate that the group of gearheads I hung with were big block fanatics and loved the 429. They "Tolerated" me and my "M" code Mach 1 since I also owned a 72 429 Gran Torino Sport. The rare car in the group was a 69 Boss 429. I drove that car many times and it was an absolute blast. Considering the weight on the front end, it handled really well.

So that $8,500 Boss 351 carburetor will probably be installed on another "Push" car and they will not get to experience the sound of a Boss 351 engine pulling at wide open throttle!!

I can relate I went to a MCCA show and a guy show's up with this trailered Boss 429 and a crew of guys. They unload the car (push) then he sits watching them dust the thing off and set a display for him then after he is announced the winner of best of show and first in his class he sends one of his cronies up there to pick up the trophy. I thought what an incredible ass. He doesn't deserve the car or the acclaim. His crew of guys push the thing back into the trailer and he drives away. Good news was he later was arrested and convicted for tax evasion and off to prison he went. I have no idea what ever happened to the car but I was told he had a huge collection on Mustangs and Shelby's.

I can't complain about big money's involvement because I just sold my 60 year collection of parts for significantly more than I sold my machine business for in the early 80's including the property. Damn.......

When gave me a detailed offer for each engine and for each "special" part I just nodded and said "that will work".

Paul of Mo

Hold on let me get my wife's credit card. Seriously 8 1/2 grand for a carb is a little ridicules don't you think? The worst part is they weren't a very good carb to begin with and most guys ripped them off and put on Holly's back in the day.
There were a few posts I exchanged with Pastel Blue on the same subject. After he said what he had to pay for his Quadrajet, I felt bad. Of the 7 429 cars in the group, four were CJ cars with the Quadrajet. None of them really cared for that carburetor and took a lot of heat from the GM guys who told them that was the only reason their cars ran at all. All of them replaced intakes so they could run Holly carburetors. I told Pastel Blue I remember hauling all 4 intakes and carburetors to the scrap yard! My 72 Gran Torino was originally a "N" code 429. I replaced it with a CJ 429 with 72 Police Interceptor heads and intake which happened to run the 4300 D carburetor so I was out of the Quadrajet debacle! Sure wished I could of saved some of the stuff I saw removed and pitched. (same fate for the rev limiter equipped cars). :cool:

Tax evasion, they sent him to prison for that? That is really messed up.

I think there was fraud and drugs involved as well, but I heard the tax thing was the original charge.
That's what they nailed Al Capone for. Didn't care about the people he had shot. Just make sure you pay taxes on all your Mustang parts.

Back