Hey from the Ozarks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
I have a low rust/lots of dents '71 sportsroof.
I don’t know if people like me are welcome here but I thought I’d give it a shot and spill my guts in post one. I like Fords (that’s good). I also like GM and MOPAR and foreign stuff too (that’s bad). Worst of all I like LS swaps in just about anything with a hood (#$%@**!). My wife and I have a pair of ’67 Mustangs that are staying Ford powered but except for her ’23 C Cab all the other Ford vehicles we own are potential candidates for out of family swaps. If this is too offensive for the folks here I won’t be posting much. I don’t swap engines to please or offend anyone, I do it searching for the performance I want within my limited budget.

Here’s the ’71 sportsroof I bought yesterday. It’s weathered and worn but somehow not too rusty.

DSCN1708.jpg

All hot rods to me...don't think this group is that anal..if u are 7173, you appreciate it all...except for da rice maybe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the site from Virginia. There is a good group of members here, so any jabs about LS swaps will be in good fun.

Welcome from California. I am biased and would put a Ford motor in anything. In my opinion, the engine is just under 50% of the total car. You still have the better Ford body and the better rear end and not many people can see under the hood going down the road!

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I thought this might be a Ford group that’s a little more open minded than some other Ford related places. I have always liked the big Stangs but some “Ford Guys” will take the time to tell us how the last real mustang was made in 1970. I understand not having the desire to own something different but I don’t understand why some people always feel it’s necessary to go out of their way to tell everybody who does anything different how much they hate it. If you own the wrong year or make a modification that they wouldn’t do here comes the hate. I don’t eat fish but I don’t feel the urge to tell everybody who’s eating fish in a restaurant that I hate fish as soon as I walk in the door. Cook fish in my microwave and then I might let you know how I feel.

Maybe it comes from too much automotive abuse but I usually see the engine as a disposable item like oil and tires. My engines exist to push the car. When it’s time for a new one, what’s available at the time might dictates what goes in next. To me the muscle car as delivered by the manufacturer was a starting point of something that could be improved not the final product to be washed and worshiped and never changed. If somebody want to be 100% original, that’s OK by me. If somebody feels that only Ford parts belong on his/her Mustang, that’s OK by me too. I just play by diffent rules.

Welcome from Arkansas. I too own chevy's and would love to someday find a reasonable priced 70's challenger. It is hard to beat the versatility of a SBC not only in parts interchange ability, but the unlimited variables as well. I have seen SBC's stuffed in just about every car out there but, have to admit when I saw a 69 camaro with a big block ford at a car show I was a bit let down. The same holds true for Mustang muscle in my opinion (should be ford powered). I may ruffle a few feathers when I say this but I hate working on some ford engines...360, 390, and (sorry guys) 351 clevelands are my most hated. This sight is founded by (it's your car, do what you want with it) attitude and I support that 100%. So if you want to stuff an LS in your mustang then go for it, and post up lots of pics.

So far I have the 5.3, an LS6 cam, TKO 600 and a wide nine inch housing/center section. The next step is to make some room in the garage to tear into it. A Wilwood 12.19” dia. front kit is ordered for her. I hope to find enough room to stuff a pair of little Turbonetics in there too. I bought them for a ’69 Vette project but it’s so tight in the C3 engine compartment I decided to abort that project. I hope to begin this project in about a month.

DSCN0894.jpg

Hey Dude

Love the Wheels on your Mustang, deep dish Craigers right?

Hey Dude

Love the Wheels on your Mustang, deep dish Craigers right?
They’re Appliance, the budget alternative to Cragars. I bought my ’67 from the same friend as the '71 and it too has some wide ol’ Appliance wheels on it. Maybe the local JC Pennys had a sale about 40 years ago.

phantom2.jpg

I like that 67...wish I had my 68 back
I felt fortunate to find it. It’s very solid and straight. I’ve been gathering the remaining Shelby pieces to make it a good tribute car. The proper tach and speedo cost more than a decent Mustang did when I was in HS. This one will be won’t really be Ford powered either. Technically it’s getting a Ford pattern engine.

They’re Appliance, the budget alternative to Cragars. I bought my ’67 from the same friend as the '71 and it too has some wide ol’ Appliance wheels on it. Maybe the local JC Pennys had a sale about 40 years ago.

I love them! I worked on a 71 show car all through my teenage years that had a set of Cragers, maybe they were Appliance tho, I'll have to check, dont suppose you've got a spare set lying around eh? ;) They look great on both the Mustangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back