Hi From Georgia - 1971 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hey everyone. Been a long time lurker while I was looking for another Mustang. I just bought a 1971 Mustang convertible that needs a ton of work but am looking forward to saving it. Was originally sold in Detroit (rust) and then sat in a barn for several years (more rust), then sat outside with the top down for several more years (even more rust).  I got a great deal on it and didn't want it to be parted out. The car is complete (except for a top) and looks like it still has the original engine and tranny but need to verify. Here are the options my convertible came with (besides rust, mildew, leaves and pine needles):

351 4V (M code), auto, traction-lok, AC. PDB, PS, Power top, Power windows, White Deluxe Interior, Console, Decor Group, Convenience Group. Was originally Metallic Maroon but am most likely changing the color to Bright Lime.

Have been taking it apart as most of the sheetmetal and interior needs refurbishing or replacing. See the pics below. Will have a lot of questions so thanks in advance.

20211212_111930.jpg

20211212_111956.jpg

20211212_112048.jpg

1971 Mustang - 3.jpg

1971 Mustang - 5.jpg

1971 Mustang - 1.jpg

20211212_111916.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Welcome from Michigan! Looks like a great car for a project. Hopefully it is the original drivetrain, these cars with the 4v are not very plentiful. Anyway good luck with everything and there’s a bunch of very knowledgeable people on here who will gladly help with any questions. This is a great site!

Welcome!  I am also restoring a 71 convertible in Georgia.  I am in Lawrenceville, NE of Atlanta.  Where are you?

F67C5D1C-64E0-4B15-8978-2CB54FB77799.jpeg

0E0517CB-93AF-4CD5-BF5D-0E5918CC0706.jpeg

07272860-C1B2-4A1F-9597-C8E14CF45E5A.jpeg

Those are some great options on a convertible. She'll be gorgeous when you get her done.

Welcome from Ohio!

Welcome from Ohio.  Looks like you will be busy for a while. The exterior panels don't look too bad on the outside.  Hopefully they will be in good shape underneath.  You definitely came to the right place. Lots of help and info here just for the asking. 

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario Canada.

You've got some work to do there, but it is doable for sure. 

If you were unaware, there is a partial VIN stamped at the back of the driver side block, just below the head. It will be 1f XXXXXX, but you may need to do some scraping to find it. For the longest time, I truly believed there wasn't a VIN stamping on my engine, but when it was rebuilt, low and behold, there it was barely visible. To my relief, it confirmed a perfect matching set of numbers.

Welcome from League City Tx!  She looks great and you look like you have the situation well in hand.  Keep posting progress pics!  I love a good story!

BTW, looks like you're doing the work in your living room!  Bravo!  I couldn't think of a better place to work on your pony!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from East Texas! Looks like a great project car, and does not really look like it has that much rust, seen a LOT worse.

Welcome from Illinois and another 71 vert owner!  You’ve got a great project there and definitely worth saving. Like Hemikiller said I’d get a Marti report on that car.

Welcome from Ohio.  Looks like you will be busy for a while. The exterior panels don't look too bad on the outside.  Hopefully they will be in good shape underneath.  You definitely came to the right place. Lots of help and info here just for the asking. 
Thanks Kilgon. Unfortunately, everything underneath is shot (inner rockers, floors, trunk, etc.

Latest posts

Back