HID headlight upgrade for F-250

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
I want to upgrade the halogen headlights on my 2002 F-250 Lariat. There a lot of no-name companies selling products that have poor beam width and other problems. Has any one done a conversion, on any vehicle, with great results? If so, what products did you use? All input will be appreciated. Chuck

Chuck, I upgraded my OEM housings on my 2004 F150 with projector lenses and HID bulb and ballasts. I also used an relay wiring harness for the ballasts. It wasn't that hard of a job taking the housings apart and resealing them. If you go the "do it yourself" route, heat your oven up to about 250 degrees and put one on the housings in the oven for about 20 minutes. That will allow you to pry the housing apart without breaking the lease. Take your time, you may have to do half and then give it another 10 minutes in the oven, depending on how much factory sealant was used. Once the housing is apart, you will have to install the projector lenses, once again, not that hard of a job, just a little "dremeling to get things to fit flush. I purchased good projector lenses and the HID kit and harness off of Amazon but can't get to my order history right now (Amazon site just keeps reloading), but will recheck later. I think the projector lenses, HID kit, and harness was about $150 total but no more than $200. They worked great and plan to do the same thing for my Challenger (it already has projector lenses, so just the new HID kit and harness). You will not be disappointed if you open the housings and add the projector lenses, never run HID bulbs in a reflector housing, it will scatter the light and be almost useless. BTW, I think I used 5500 or 6000K HID bulbs and they were great in all types of weather. Good luck.

Tom

Finally got Amazon to work, the projectors that I used are below:

Nilight - 10041P 2.5" Mini Projector Lens for H1 Bulb Headlights Retrofit, Custom Headlamps Conversion: Chrome Shround,

The HID kit and relay harness were Kensun brand on Amazon. I hope this helps.

Tom

Chuck,
I have a 2001 F250 Lariat, and have been looking at options because the "ribbed" lenses are so clouded, light hardly gets out. I've read that 2002-04 lenses retrofit without cutting and are clear and I'm getting ready to go that route. Are your lenses "clear" and were they still not bright enough. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back