Hitting the bonnet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayro

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang baby blue with clevo 351
Hey guys,

Slowly getting through the list of job since purchasing my 73.

Next issue. Car was originally a 6cyl and while in the 🇺🇸 was converted to a 351 Cleveland. The air filter is rubbing on my bonnet cross member.

Can I cut the cross beam out or will this affect bonnets integrity?

Or can I get a lower but wider or big low oval type of air filter maybe or other solutions?

Cheers
Jase

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
I would not cut the hood brace. You have two options to give you the clearance you need. You can either get a lower height air cleaner - go from a 3" to 2 1/2" or get a drop base for it. I would get the air cleaner base myself. A 1" should work well for you.

1653828237987.png

I would not cut the hood brace. You have two options to give you the clearance you need. You can either get a lower height air cleaner - go from a 3" to 2 1/2" or get a drop base for it. I would get the air cleaner base myself. A 1" should work well for you.

View attachment 64013
That’s perfect. Thanks mate, I didn’t know they existed but that’s great. Got one on its way now 👍

That’s perfect. Thanks mate, I didn’t know they existed but that’s great. Got one on its way now 👍
And triple check your carb stud height before you close the hood to not put a dimple in it… 👌🏻

I second what DAverkamp says about the carb stud. I went back and looked at your engine pictures with the air filter assembly on and off. That stud looks like it may be an issue.

I second what DAverkamp says about the carb stud. I went back and looked at your engine pictures with the air filter assembly on and off. That stud looks like it may be an issue.
Yeh so when I purchased the car the damage was already done. There is a dimple/dent poking upwards. That carb stud was hitting. I’ve shortened it to the min height I need but the filter itself is rubbing just, Drop base will be great for it I think.

Back