Hoarders are dying off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
It seems that my generation of the baby boomers were the ones that keep everything, lol. That is why my barns, garage and everything is full of stuff.

I was at my friends that does restorations and he ask if I knew that Mr. Oats had passed. I did not. He owned a body shop in Hendersonville, NC where I live. I had him MIG weld in some patches before I had a welder back in the 70's.

When they went to his long locked up shop in the attic were two pairs of NOS Dodge Charger full quarter panels. This was the first gen charger. Guess who came and got them? The guy from Graveyard Cars show, lol. It was said he was dropping one pair off and AMD in Atlanta to use for repo tooling and took the other pair to his shop. I do not know what they paid. I do know that Clay paid $8,000 for one NOS GTO full quarter for a 65.

With all the baby boomers dropping like flies, hey that's me, you should see lots of Mustang stuff showing up soon.

Like I have said in the past put ads on Craigslist all over the country. Put tag words that will draw more than just Mustang Console. Maybe someone who is looking to liquidate an estate will call you and have bins of NOS parts like I have. I am sure they will sell all of mine none of the family likes old cars.

Some days I get up and think I should sell it all and just hit the road and go till I can go no more.

Cheers,

David

There is a lot to be said about lightening the load. We moved both sets of parents into retirement centers last year. We got home after the last move, looked around and said we gotta get rid of stuff. A couple of boxes every week gets sold, donated or given away. It actually does feel better.

There is a lot to be said about lightening the load.  We moved both sets of parents into retirement centers last year.  We got home after the last move, looked around and said we gotta get rid of stuff.  A couple of boxes every week gets sold, donated or given away.  It actually does feel better.
We live in an older home with smaller rooms. My wife and I got tired of tripping over stuff and have been purging for the last several months. It's really nice to live with less as there's less to worry about and more time to just live. I used to be very much the hoarder type - now it's just "stuff" to me and it gets sold to fund other projects.

Oh I sell stuff all the time. Got tired of the ebay BS so quit listing there. I have taken truck loads to Goodwill but have been here for 70 years plus my parents before.

Getting things organized for big garage / home stuff sale. I am headed to Africa I hope end of July or August to walk in the bush for a month or two. Just so much to get done before I leave.

Some families just load the stuff up and take to dump. I caution that. My nice's husband was willed his grandparents home and contents. They raised him and not his parents. They were going through junk in the attic and found over $100,000 in cash stuck in just boxes and bags.

D

I try to pare down the "stuff" a few times a year. One of my tests to see if I am going to toss (or donate something) is to hold it up and consider if it will just be dragged along to another home 1500 miles away when we retire and move someday and/or if it is something I will never use and it will wind up with a 75 cent price tag on it (and two old ladies fighting over it) in our garage sale when we do finally move. If the answer is yes I just get rid of it now!

If my wife uses that criteria it is likely I will get tossed out as well :)

I do the same thing when I see a NOS Ford door panel, bumper, fender or maybe a 57 T-Bird bumper or 64 Ford rear bumper. When I want to sell nobody wants it when I do not want to sell everybody wants it, lol. At one swap meet I was told my prices were too low so I doubled them and yes the sales went up. They said I was scaring the people with money off with the cheap prices.

We use to have Chevy burning parties in the early 80's. Find a Camaro for $100  and have party and burn it in the field. Remember I grew up when this stuff was cheap. A new rear bumper was $18.00 from Ford.

D

I do the same thing when I see a NOS Ford door panel, bumper, fender or maybe a 57 T-Bird bumper or 64 Ford rear bumper. When I want to sell nobody wants it when I do not want to sell everybody wants it, lol. At one swap meet I was told my prices were too low so I doubled them and yes the sales went up. They said I was scaring the people with money off with the cheap prices.

We use to have Chevy burning parties in the early 80's. Find a Camaro for $100  and have party and burn it in the field. Remember I grew up when this stuff was cheap. A new rear bumper was $18.00 from Ford.

D
I don't think I have ever admitted this in public, haha, but your Camaro burning story reminds me of something.  Around 1980 my friends and I bought a mid-1960's Dodge Dart with slant six for 75 bucks.  It wasn't my idea but I went along with it.  Drove it around and beat the crap out of it.  Ate in it, poured shakes on it, and I think one or two guys peed on it.  Found a spray paint can and painted racing stripes and numbers on it.  A few hours later it blew a chunk out of the block and that was that.  We were able to coast it into a field and there it sat for a few weeks until it was hauled away.  Man we did some crazy stuff, but split among five guys that was cheap entertainment.  Way before the smartphone era, sometimes you had to come up with creative things to do.  ;)

Back