Home brew subframe connectors - pt 2

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks,

As some of you may know I am creating my own subframe connectors from a plan I found on this website:
- https://dazecars.com/dazed/sub-frame.html

It's not very hard but after test fitting I reckon all angles need to be 74 degrees (instead of the 70's). I am now testfitting a second time and things are lining up way better. So much so that I can start thinking of how to weld them on to the subframes.

The 2 connectors:

IMG_8622.JPG

In the rear, this is how the connector is welded to the subframe on the inside of the connector. The cardboard will be replaced with metal and a weld around them will fix it onto the subframe:

IMG_8629.JPG

On the outside though, it gets a little dodgy? It looks like this:

IMG_8625.JPG

In the close-up below, I reckon I need to lay a bead inside the yellow line, the subframe metal is half the thickness of the connector though. Any welding tips for that?

Also, in the red line I guess a bead should be put down in between the torque box and the connector. Thing is though, right where the bead would be, there is a lap joint visible. Look:

IMG_8625 closeup.JPG

What would be the best way to go about welding the connector to the subframe? Any tips (on both sides) re much appreciated!

Thanks,

Vincent.

Where the red circle is on the last photo, why not use some 90 degree angle steel there? That way you do not have to weld over the lap joint. Where the yellow circle is you could do the same thing as in the other side of the subframe where you weld a plate like you are doing on the inside of the subframe, you will need to get a little creative there as there seems to be a "hump" there you will need to deal with.

Thanks for your ideas guys, is the torque box alright for welding angles or gussets onto it? The angle or gusset would be pulling the torque box skin in a way it doesn't really support, no?

The ones I bought attach a bit further back, they cure up to meet the subframe. My car isn't near me to take better pictures but here is an older picture. Unfortunately the actual attachment is blocked by the shock but perhaps it will give you an idea? I will be by the car on Tuesday so let me know if you want better pictures.

Here is a link to ones similar to what I used. Same company but these are not for convertibles, it seems they don't make them for convertibles anymore.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...o3_PzHdGEDvtGVQWJFRwitJULEtc24ohoCaDIQAvD_BwE

mi3.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same thing. Maybe the same site. Here are some pics. I did use 90 degree on the outside with the 1/8 plate welding to the torque box. Plus a straight piece on the inside for reinforcement.

Attachments

• subframe 1.jpg
    subframe 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • subframe 2.jpg
    subframe 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 11b subframe actual.jpg
    11b subframe actual.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 12 subframe completed.jpg
    12 subframe completed.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 3
  • subframe 4.JPG
    subframe 4.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 2
I have the same Global West SFCs as will e - Love 'em!

This is turning out awesome, Vinnie - you do good work! The torque boxes are super-thick, just like the subframes - you should be fine welding directly to them.

Thanks again for all the ideas and photo’s. I had a chat with the designer of my connectors and he reckons they only need welding in the yellow area and not in the red area. The GW’s also connect on a relatively small area so I guess he is right. More welding is not necessarily better…

If you don't mind going through the floor, this is what I did with my 69 Mustang.

Attachments

• Photo1017.jpg
    Photo1017.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 1
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 1
CJSTACI,
You beat me to it!. Through the floor is the strongest! That is what I did on my fox body. It will do 10's!

it looks like you are doing a great job. I suppose you are finished by now. Have you watched the Detroit Speed 70 mustang subframe connector video? If your a good welder, that would be a great thing to base a build off of. They did a great job on that. I wish they made a kit like this for the 71-73 cars.

Back