Homemade adj strut rods

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The global west have no busing. I didn't notice any additioal road noise but, to tell you the truth, with a built cleveland, hookers, glass packs and the top down it would have had to make a LOT of noise for me to notice a difference.

The stock design is one of the worst parts of our front suspensions. Poly bushings only make it worse. This design is by far superior.

Hello,

After studying the pictures, I ca see that the 2 x 4 steel and the poly bushing will be on the back side of the cross member and a metal looking disc item and a bevel washer with a nut will go to the front side of the cross member. Is this how you have designed your adjustable strut rods to attach to the cross member? Can you provide more pictures of the section that will attach to the cross member. I want to fabricate a set for my 73 coupe. Thank you for you time and support with the forum chat on these strut rods.

David

mustang7173

IMG_0063.JPGIMG_0062.JPGIMG_0062.JPG

Hello,

After studying the pictures, I ca see that the 2 x 4 steel and the poly bushing will be on the back side of the cross member and a metal looking disc item and a bevel washer with a nut will go to the front side of the cross member. Is this how you have designed your adjustable strut rods to attach to the cross member? Can you provide more pictures of the section that will attach to the cross member. I want to fabricate a set for my 73 coupe. Thank you for you time and support with the forum chat on these strut rods.

David

mustang7173
Here are some pictures,hope this helps.If you need any more or have any questions let me know I'll be glad to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello 73mach1,

Thank You for the extra photos. This shows me how you mounted them. This will give me a starting point to fab my own adjustable strut rods.

David

mustang7173

Hi Jay, with the bushing in the front, are you concerned the bracket may rotate out of the vertical position? I'm thinking the bushing would not allow proper tightening.

I'm not trying to be critical just looking for the best results with your (and eventually my) set-up.

Hi Jay, with the bushing in the front, are you concerned the bracket may rotate out of the vertical position? I'm thinking the bushing would not allow proper tightening.

I'm not trying to be critical just looking for the best results with your (and eventually my) set-up.
I'm with you on the bushing..no need for it...Nice project if you have the time..& skill to fabricate them properly..If you look at the ones i installed in my car http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-Adjustable-Strut-Rods-pr-16135.html there is no comparison to the homemade ones..Suspension components are just one of those things I feel you should buy the best that you can afford..I drive my cars hard & there's something to be said for peace of mind.

All,

I read through the posts of the this thread to make sure my questions was answered. I believe that I need to ask the question differently! So, I understand that is a nice upgrade, if one can afford it or make it themselves. I also understand how the geometry of the front end works. Will e responded that he could not really tell of road noise due to his mustang configuration. Qcode351mach also brings in a good point.

I had installed a set of poly strut rod bushings on my 1973 coupe. As we all know, the roads that we travel are not the smoothest and best maintained. There are imperfections, pot holes, and just plain bad asphalt. As I remembered on the ploy strut bushings, I remember how harsh the vibration transfer was to the entire front end and cabin of the car going down the road. I could see the dash and about everything else vibrate and it was not a pleasant ride.

Who has driven their mustang with this type of strut rods installed for a period of time? Did you notice any harshness or vibration transfer to the cabin while driving?

Thank You for your input!

mustang7173

Back