hood latch support

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
I'm trying to narrow down when Ford changed from 2 vertical hood latch support to a single support. In general 71s had two and 72-73s had one. Does anyone have a car with a build date of June through December, 1971? If so, please respond with number of supports and build date. I know it seems trivial but mild OCD makes these questions surface.

Thanks, Chuck

I'm trying to narrow down when Ford changed from 2 vertical hood latch support to a single support. In general 71s had two and 72-73s had one. Does anyone have a car with a build date of June through December, 1971? If so, please respond with number of supports and build date. I know it seems trivial but mild OCD makes these questions surface.

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck..My q code 72 has a build date of 12/71 Actual build date 12/14/71

Has the single support

Thanks, Chuck
Can you provide a picture of what you're talking about? Mine is a '71 with what looks to me like a single (albeit two-piece) verticle hood latch support. (No, I'm not reference the broomstick keeping the hood up, either rofl)

41267_1171099615005_923419_n.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what the build date is (I'll hafta check the door tag) but I don't believe it was later than March of '71.

Thanks, Chuck
Can you provide a picture of what you're talking about? Mine is a '71 with what looks to me like a single (albeit two-piece) verticle hood latch support. (No, I'm not reference the broomstick keeping the hood up, either rofl)

I'm not entirely sure what the build date is (I'll hafta check the door tag) but I don't believe it was later than March of '71.
The part(s) attach to the hood latch and the bottom of the core support. Thanks, Chuck

Thanks, Chuck
Chuck..My q code 72 has a build date of 12/71 Actual build date 12/14/71

Has the single support
Thanks, Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks, Chuck

LOL why does that picture remind me of the movie "CARS"

Chuck I don't have a date but I think the change was in mid 71

Mach 1 grille also changed

Early ones had 4 offset mounting holes, later ones had 6 mounts so they fit either style

Extensions changed too

Dual was D1ZZ- 8182 - A

Single was D1ZZ-8182- B

I have wondered about this question too. Mine was built on 4/28/71 and has the two vertical supports.

Chuck, Mine is a 12/23/71 buck date, 1/5/72 build date with a single support.

If anyone should have a good single support lying around I am looking to replace mine. It has alot of pitting at the bottom and it was already welded once to re-attach to mounting tab. PM me if you have an extra support around.

BK - I might have one for ya that I harvested from the 'new' '72 front clip I grafted onto mine. Let me check my stash tomorrow and get a pic. It's yours for shipping costs if it's what you need.

Now, here's the kicker. My door sticker says, "10/70"

HPIM0793.JPG

So, I guess this either means that the data regarding the changeover for hood supports is not entirely correct, has some conditions, or mine is the Holy Grail of 'H-Code' Mach 1s... what with my 351C-2V, functional Ram-Air, AND dual-exhaust (as evidenced by the dual exhaust cut-out rear valance and stock exhaust hangers I removed awhile back before I restored the trunk area). ::shrug::

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin' :whistling:

Are you trying to tell me I should've named my car, "Tater?" rofl

BK - I might have one for ya that I harvested from the 'new' '72 front clip I grafted onto mine. Let me check my stash tomorrow and get a pic. It's yours for shipping costs if it's what you need.

So, I guess this either means that the data regarding the changeover for hood supports is not entirely correct, has some conditions, or mine is the Holy Grail of 'H-Code' Mach 1s... what with my 351C-2V, functional Ram-Air, AND dual-exhaust (as evidenced by the dual exhaust cut-out rear valance and stock exhaust hangers I removed awhile back before I restored the trunk area). ::shrug::

Eric, my 10/9/70 built M code has a sequential number just behind yours and my car was built 7 days ahead of schedule. There is a good chance our cars may have been built within a day or so of each other. If it's any consolation to you that one is an extreme rust bucket too.

Maybe "MATER"

c-mater.jpeg

mr 4x4.jpg

Eric, my 10/9/70 built M code has a sequential number just behind yours and my car was built 7 days ahead of schedule.
Sweet! Sounds like we have might have 'siblings!' I'll hafta order up a Marti Report when I get the car done.

Roy - yeah... "Mater" (I forgot since I haven't seen the movie in a long time, and was thinking about Ron White for some reason)

Maybe "MATER"
You know, I'm willing to bet the previous owners (that are responsible for all the Redneck Engineered modifications I've found) probably resemble Mater as well. rofl

Roy - yeah... "Mater" (I forgot since I haven't seen the movie in a long time, and was thinking about Ron White for some reason)

Easy to confuse the two:p

Sad thing is I have been the Frisbee

CAUTION SOME ADULT LANGUAGE

Maybe "MATER"
At least Mater's smiling. The Rustang looks more like one of those dogs at the pound that knows it's never going to be adopted.

So - anybody figured out why mine has a single support if they didn't change them over until June of '71?

So - anybody figured out why mine has a single support if they didn't change them over until June of '71?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric

Eric, I doubt it had a single support bracket from the factory.

I have seen some odd things but the grille and brackets for the single style set up were not being made in 10 / 70.

Don

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric

Eric, I doubt it had a single support bracket from the factory.

I have seen some odd things but the grille and brackets for the single style set up were not being made in 10 / 70.

Don
I suppose it's possible that the car had been wrecked and newer stuff replaced onto it. However, based on all the Redneck Engineering that's been discovered, I highly doubt they would've actually done the right thing and used genuine Ford parts to repair something as trivial as a hood latch support (convering everything else I've found being original). ;)

Back