Hood Locks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael O’Harran

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Mustang 351C
Currently Under Restoration
Still plugging away to the 72 Mach 1 build. I was asked and opted for no hood locks. It’s a personal preference for the look of my build. I was looking for a video on the air cleaner snorkel duct work install and came across the ram air install videos. I had already planned on that and it’s purchased. I am of the mind set that many say what you must do because they think it. I am very comfortable in the world of the reality is it will be fine. As long as it actually will. That video mentioned two things when installing ram air. You have to switch the hood springs and you must install hood locks.

I hadn’t planned on this but am wondering if I don’t what will actually happen? Why do I need the hood locks, because in my mind a car that drives fast with no ram air would likely have the same issues of pull on the hood.

So I’d like to hear the consensus if the engineering on why I need these things or is it just what people do and that why they say I need them? Thanks.

The car will operate fine without hood locks. My understanding has been if you opted for the ram air setup the hood locks were included.
For most the hood locks are a desired aspect of the 'muscle car' visual appearance.
It is highly recommended to have the stronger 'squared' hood springs with the heavier NACA hood. The standard 'round' hood springs combined with the NACA hood are known to allow the hood to drop unexpectedly in windy weather conditions.

The car will operate fine without hood locks. My understanding has been if you opted for the ram air setup the hood locks were included.
For most the hood locks are a desired aspect of the 'muscle car' visual appearance.
It is highly recommended to have the stronger 'squared' hood springs with the heavier NACA hood. The standard 'round' hood springs combined with the NACA hood are known to allow the hood to drop unexpectedly in windy weather conditions.
So my car already had the Naca hood just no ram air and I’m adding the ram air. Will that addition over burden the existing springs?

Ford used different springs on the ram air hood for a reason. NPD sells springs for ram air hood hinges but they're pricey. With the level of restomod you're building, I would have the hinges restored and use the correct springs. There was a thread here a couple days ago the had a link to hoodhingerepair.com .

BTW, if you're going with the full ram air setup you should know the air cleaner snorkel did not use the flexible rectangular hose like the non-ram air air cleaners did.

Re: the Dzus Hood Locks, they really are more for the visual edge than being necessary. I happen to like how they look. Our 73 Mach 1 came with the NACA/NASA hood from the factory. But it did not have the Dzus hood locks, apparently it was an option that year that did not come as part of the NACA/NASA hood.

When we restored the 73 Mach 1 I replaced the hood due to some rust that I felt would leave the hood weak despite the repairs I may have otherwise performed on it. We already had the heavier duty, square springs for the hood, as opposed to the rounded springs for flat hoods. That was important a few years as the heavier duty "flat side" springs were not available a new replacement parts. Then along came NPD and they did something about it. A friend got them for his 71 Mach 1 NACA/NASA hood, and he tells me they work great - despite being quite costly.

NPD Item #: 16789-5A

https://www.npdlink.com/product/spring-hood-hinge/205419?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dhood%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1973&year=1973

A quick aside for anyone who is pondering installing the Dzus hood locks, I suggest you get the locks as part of a full installation kit. If you mount the underside part of the locks on the radiator support, like was done in 65 - 70 Mustangs, you will end up with the locks being installed too far from the front of the hood, and will have an unusual looking result (see first attached photo - caution, it is a sad photo).

I got our Dzus kit, which included the mounting extensions needed for 71-73 Mustangs, from Ohio Mustang about 2 years ago, and it turned out really good looking. Unfortunately, they show the parts are out of stock, but it may be worth calling them anyway.

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp?p=2&search=hood+lock

Some photos of how our Dzus hood locks turned out is also attached. They are not at all sad looking...

Attachments

• GoofyLookingDzusHoodLockLocation_20201208.jpg
    GoofyLookingDzusHoodLockLocation_20201208.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5359.JPG
    IMG_5359.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5360.JPG
    IMG_5360.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5363.JPG
    IMG_5363.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5366.JPG
    IMG_5366.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 1973Mach1_HoodWithDzuzCutout1_20200722.JPG
    1973Mach1_HoodWithDzuzCutout1_20200722.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 01-122579834_10222757471141874_1482843077944966308_n_CroppedFrontEnd_1973Mach 1_20220504.jpg
    01-122579834_10222757471141874_1482843077944966308_n_CroppedFrontEnd_1973Mach 1_20220504.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Re: the Dzus Hood Locks, they really are more for the visual edge than being necessary. I happen to like how they look. Our 73 Mach 1 came with the NACA/NASA hood from the factory. But it did not have the Dzus hood locks, apparently it was an option that year that did not come as part of the NACA/NASA hood.

When we restored the 73 Mach 1 I replaced the hood due to some rust that I felt would leave the hood weak despite the repairs I may have otherwise performed on it. We already had the heavier duty, square springs for the hood, as opposed to the rounded springs for flat hoods. That was important a few years as the heavier duty "flat side" springs were not available a new replacement parts. Then along came NPD and they did something about it. A friend got them for his 71 Mach 1 NACA/NASA hood, and he tells me they work great - despite being quite costly.

NPD Item #: 16789-5A

https://www.npdlink.com/product/spring-hood-hinge/205419?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fpage%3D2%26search_terms%3Dhood%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1973&year=1973

A quick aside for anyone who is pondering installing the Dzus hood locks, I suggest you get the locks as part of a full installation kit. If you mount the underside part of the locks on the radiator support, like was done in 65 - 70 Mustangs, you will end up with the locks being installed too far from the front of the hood, and will have an unusual looking result (see first attached photo - caution, it is a sad photo).

I got our Dzus kit, which included the mounting extensions needed for 71073 Mustangs, from Ohio Mustang about 2 years ago, and it turned out really good looking. Unfortunately, they show the parts are out of stock, but it may be worth calling them anyway.

https://www.ohiomustang.com/store/item_listing.asp?p=2&search=hood+lock

Some photos of how our Dzus hood locks turned out is also attached. They are not at all sad looking...
My 73 Mach 1 has the Ram Air hood, no twist locks as well. I'm picking up a new hood, hinges, springs ($168 more now that I found out the HD ones were correct) and what twist lock parts are currently available to add them. I had a '71 and I found they functioned well to keep the hood from flapping at the edges when I hit the skinny pedal on that 460. Now, I just like the looks! I've been looking for some detailed photos of the installation and you're just posted the best ones I've found! Thanks!

That's an incredible looking car GM, you and Lynda did a great job. Beautiful.... And, thanks for the pics, I'll be drilling holes and installing mine tomorrow. Wish me luck?!? LOL

Last edited:
...That video mentioned two things when installing ram air. You have to switch the hood springs and you must install hood locks.

So I’d like to hear the consensus if the engineering on why I need these things or is it just what people do and that why they say I need them? Thanks.

Michael-

You do not have to switch the springs.

I would wager the vast majority of 7173's that have added the ram air hardware after delivery are still running the regular springs.

Back in 1975 (year is not a misprint) I removed the scoop plugs and installed the Ford factory ram air hardware to my hood. I never even knew a different hood hinge spring was required.

I ran that setup for 47 years until last summer when I discovered a different spring was supplied from Ford for the functional ram air package and NPD started reproducing them. I bit the bullet and spent the bucks for the stiffer springs just...well...because.

Does the hood open easier with the square springs? Yes it does. Did it work just fine before, and the hood stayed up without a problem? Yes it did.

So, is it required? I'd say nope. Nice to have? Yes. Doing a concourse level resto? Absolute must!

My 73 Mach 1 has the Ram Air hood, no twist locks as well. I'm picking up a new hood, hinges, springs ($168 more now that I found out the HD ones were correct) and what twist lock parts are currently available to add them. I had a '71 and I found they functioned well to keep the hood from flapping at the edges when I hit the skinny pedal on that 460. Now, I just like the looks! I've been looking for some detailed photos of the installation and you're just posted the best ones I've found! Thanks!
I am glad you found the various photos of use. The body artist who did most of the restoration work, and Dzus hood lock installation, fabricated a wooden tool to help with the installation. I never asked him how he used it. But he told me it was something he would likely never need again, if he did need it again he was just going to make another, and insisted I keep it as a momento if nothing else. I am not sure where it is at this time (I did not toss it out), but I did take some photos of it, for what it may be worth to you (attached to this post). I am surmising that once he determined where the holes in the hood were supposed to be located he made this jig, with the hood closed put the jig into the holes, and identified where the locking mechanism should be located using the small hole in the center of the jig.

Attachments

• DzusHoleJig0.jpg
    DzusHoleJig0.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 0
  • DzusHoleJig1.jpg
    DzusHoleJig1.jpg
    789.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DzusHoleJig2.jpg
    DzusHoleJig2.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DzusHoleJig3.jpg
    DzusHoleJig3.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 0
I came across this video where Dzus hood locks are being installed on a 72 Mach 1 Mustang by one of the techs at "Autorestomod Manic Mechanic Gasoline Media" (YouTube channel). They have produced a lot of useful videos, and every once in a while share some info on "the back story" of some of the vehicles they are working on. I enjoy watching and listening to their videos.

I also now know how our body tech used the wooden jig in my previous post, above. The wooden jig was used (also) to help identify where the initial, pilot hole was drilled in the hood for the Hole Saw that eid the large cutting into the hood. The video in the link below shows how these guys set up their jib - similar approach, but not as complete a jig. Clearly good enough to get the job done though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtSjB_aFc&list=TLPQMTcwMjIwMjPuGMo3bvwXIg&index=2

Last edited:
I came across this video where Dzus hood locks are being installed on a 72 Mach 1 Mustang by one of the techs at "Autorestomod Manic Mechanic Gasoline Media" (YouTube channel). They have produced a lot of useful videos, and every once in a while share some info on "the back story" of some of the vehicles rhwey are working on. I enjoy watching and listening to their videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtSjB_aFc&list=TLPQMTcwMjIwMjPuGMo3bvwXIg&index=2
Jeff Ford’s channel and it is a good one!

That's an incredible looking car GM, you and Lynda did a great job. Beautiful.... And, thanks for the pics, I'll be drilling holes and installing mine tomorrow. Wish me luck?!? LOL
Here is a video you will want to look at. I just came across this the other day. It is worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-TtS...
Never mind, for some reason the publisher (Autorestomod Manic Mechanic Gasoline Media) removed his YouTube video. That is a shame because I thought it was really well done... Well, in that case I suggest you go to YouTube.com and search on "dzus hood lock install" and take a look at the many suggestions out there.

I also put together a quick YouTube after seeing their video, to offer some additional info. The video I built the other day is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9lCXnmJr4&t=21s

I forgot I did an earlier YouTube on these hood locks and how they are installed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5Jw2Mnig0E

I have installed the hood locks just because of the ornamental aspect, it's a matter of personal preference. I also installed the ram air, I have the round springs and have left my hood open many times and never had the wind blow it down any and have never had any issues with it lowering on its own. I thought about changing to the flat springs but when I saw the price at NPD, opted to wait and see if I needed them or not. So far I have not needed to change. Others may have different experiences though, it probably depends on the condition of the springs and associated hinges.

Good luck.

Tom

Jeff Ford’s channel and it is a good one!
Jeff does have a great channel and is pretty knowledgable. He and his shop are only about 30-45 minutes away from me and he has offered to come by my home to assist me with my build if I needed it. To me, that says a lot about him caring about these old cars and keeping them on the road. I have used some of his techniques more than once.

Tom

Jeff does have a great channel and is pretty knowledgable. He and his shop are only about 30-45 minutes away from me and he has offered to come by my home to assist me with my build if I needed it. To me, that says a lot about him caring about these old cars and keeping them on the road. I have used some of his techniques more than once.

Tom
He certainly comes across as a great guy. I wish I was not hobbled by my medical condition. There is little I would enjoy more than to have a shop locally that specialized in working on and restoring these First Generation Mustangs, where I could get in some other pony cars. Especially old school electrical and tune/performance work.

Still plugging away to the 72 Mach 1 build. I was asked and opted for no hood locks. It’s a personal preference for the look of my build. I was looking for a video on the air cleaner snorkel duct work install and came across the ram air install videos. I had already planned on that and it’s purchased. I am of the mind set that many say what you must do because they think it. I am very comfortable in the world of the reality is it will be fine. As long as it actually will. That video mentioned two things when installing ram air. You have to switch the hood springs and you must install hood locks.

I hadn’t planned on this but am wondering if I don’t what will actually happen? Why do I need the hood locks, because in my mind a car that drives fast with no ram air would likely have the same issues of pull on the hood.

OK, you asked for it. I am an engineer and here is my opinion.

When you open the scoops on our cars you should install hood locks or some other secondary latch system. The reason is this, due to the location of the scoops on the hood, they can grab a lot of air, this causes a significant amount of up-force on the hood. So you not have the air entering the scoops, the lift caused by the bulged hood, and the air that goes under the nose of the hood. If you look at the hood latch bracket, it has 2 mounting bolts at the top of the core support and either 1 or 2 bolts at the lower bracket attachment to the core support. You will find many of the lower brackets with fatigue failures at the lower bolt area, allowing the hood to lift slightly as the latch an now rotate back toward the windshield under load.

Does that sound far fetched? Here is my supporting argument.

Case 1) As you researched, Ford recommended, and installed the hood locks on EVERY Ram Air car. The latches are functional, and provide a secondary latch at the leading edge of the hood. Every non-ram air car had block plates in the hood scoops and NONE of them got the twist locks.

Case 2) A friend of mine had a beautiful green 72 Mach 1 in high school. He ran with the scoops open and no hood locks. One lovely evening while traveling at about 75 mph on the highway his hood flew open and buried the trailing edge into the cowl and windshield. He managed to bring the car under control and come to a stop, but the damage was not insignificant.

Case 3) I was prepping my car for paint during high school and had the scoops open and the hood locks out for sanding on the hood. This project lasted most of a summer while I ran up and down the highway to a girlfriends house most every day. One summer evening at about 80 MPH on the highway I noticed the hood lifting as I ran at a higher speed and shaking side to side. When I got home and checked the front latch area I found that both of the lower attachment points for the hood latch bracket were torn in 2. I had nightmare's of my friends hood failure and never ran open scoops without hood locks again.

Still not convinced? Ford has a goal to make money. Why would they create the lower part of the hood with the holes for the twist locks on every ram air hood?

Why would they tool up a mold to fabricate the plastic honeycomb block plates for non-Ram Air cars? I mean surely the engine would run cooler if the extra air came in through the scoops.

Why would Ford "include " the twist locks with the Ram Air option instead of making it another buy up option? I mean think of the labor of drilling the hood holes, assembling all the bracketry for the lower lock receiver, and assembling all the hood latch components. All that free of charge. I mean for the mere $115 for the Ram Air option you already got 2-toned hood paint, special decals, a special custom air cleaner, a fiberglass plenum, 2 air actuated flappers. Ford could not have made much money off of that in the first place, so why free hood locks unless it were a safety issue that needed to be addressed.

Food for thought.

kcmash

The preverbal wrench thrown in... My original ram air car came with round springs when I bought it... has held the hood up all these years and I reinstalled them when I restored the car. So far no issues... I do have a back up set of flat hood springs should the need arise, but the patina on the as delivered to me springs, was exactly that of the rest of the car... MCA points down the tube, but whatever...

OK, you asked for it. I am an engineer and here is my opinion.

When you open the scoops on our cars you should install hood locks or some other secondary latch system. The reason is this, due to the location of the scoops on the hood, they can grab a lot of air, this causes a significant amount of up-force on the hood. So you not have the air entering the scoops, the lift caused by the bulged hood, and the air that goes under the nose of the hood. If you look at the hood latch bracket, it has 2 mounting bolts at the top of the core support and either 1 or 2 bolts at the lower bracket attachment to the core support. You will find many of the lower brackets with fatigue failures at the lower bolt area, allowing the hood to lift slightly as the latch an now rotate back toward the windshield under load.

Does that sound far fetched? Here is my supporting argument.

Case 1) As you researched, Ford recommended, and installed the hood locks on EVERY Ram Air car. The latches are functional, and provide a secondary latch at the leading edge of the hood. Every non-ram air car had block plates in the hood scoops and NONE of them got the twist locks.

Case 2) A friend of mine had a beautiful green 72 Mach 1 in high school. He ran with the scoops open and no hood locks. One lovely evening while traveling at about 75 mph on the highway his hood flew open and buried the trailing edge into the cowl and windshield. He managed to bring the car under control and come to a stop, but the damage was not insignificant.

Case 3) I was prepping my car for paint during high school and had the scoops open and the hood locks out for sanding on the hood. This project lasted most of a summer while I ran up and down the highway to a girlfriends house most every day. One summer evening at about 80 MPH on the highway I noticed the hood lifting as I ran at a higher speed and shaking side to side. When I got home and checked the front latch area I found that both of the lower attachment points for the hood latch bracket were torn in 2. I had nightmare's of my friends hood failure and never ran open scoops without hood locks again.

Still not convinced? Ford has a goal to make money. Why would they create the lower part of the hood with the holes for the twist locks on every ram air hood?

Why would they tool up a mold to fabricate the plastic honeycomb block plates for non-Ram Air cars? I mean surely the engine would run cooler if the extra air came in through the scoops.

Why would Ford "include " the twist locks with the Ram Air option instead of making it another buy up option? I mean think of the labor of drilling the hood holes, assembling all the bracketry for the lower lock receiver, and assembling all the hood latch components. All that free of charge. I mean for the mere $115 for the Ram Air option you already got 2-toned hood paint, special decals, a special custom air cleaner, a fiberglass plenum, 2 air actuated flappers. Ford could not have made much money off of that in the first place, so why free hood locks unless it were a safety issue that needed to be addressed.

Food for thought.

kcmash
This is a great position and well articulated. Thank you.

Back